• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

UE4 will "exclusively target consoles"

Me thinks that what they fail to realize is that the bulk of the population (In the US, that is. I don't know about the world as a whole) are baby boomers (45+). I know of no baby boomer that is going to by a game console. They may have bought one for their kids, but it ain't gonna happen for themselves. These baby boomers grew up with Bill Gates and Steve Jobs and cut their teeth on the orignal PC's. They invented the internets and Pong for god's sake.

Soon this aged population is going to have lots of free time on their hands and with more money for retirement and fluff than their folks had. (Unfortunately, their deadbeat kids may continue to mooch off of their parents :rolleyes:) This elder generation will buy the high end machines, flood their beloved internets with packets of gameplay code and spend tons of money on cool PC games....Oh, wait. Mark Rein apparently doesn't seem to think there is any real money to be had in PC games........this week. Wait a couple, he'll flip again...

Floyd

Upvote 0
Gentlemen,

Means: It will not work on the current console generation.

UE4, like UE3, is developed on PCs. Give me one good reason (besides the usual omg sell out crap) why it shouldn't be used for PC games.

I think you will find that this is not so much about the tech, no doubt UE4 will work on PC's, Epic would be shooting themselves in the foot if their new engine was not multi platform afterall.
This has everything to do with Unreal, and how the series seems to be going the route of the R6 series, to the consoles, with token PC ports that just don't live up to their previous installments.

Alot of us are very sad to see the old gal go, and a bit angry with how two faced Epic has been about the whole thing aswell, and every bit of news coming from Epic just sements the fact that they are into consoles now, and the Unreal we knew is no more.

Upvote 0
I thought we were talking about an engine, not a game.
Well, we might as well be. It's very very difficult to separate the Unreal Engine from its corresponding Unreal or Unreal Tournament games. Those games spawned the engine, just in the same way that the Quake games did for their engine.

Also, the "consolization" of UE3 and eventually UE4 can be precisely paralleled with the same "consolization" of PC gaming staples like UT3. These are games that no one would have predicted would be crappy console ports.

All are examples of Epic's tragic and for some reason supposedly monetarily influenced decision to outright abandon the PC market altogether! It's one thing to shift focus, but it's quite another to go from "PC is our bread and butter" (Mark Rein quote) to a total shift away from them in a period of one year.

Upvote 0
With some cheap *** ports..........

Oh my ****ing god. If they manage to make the engine work well on multiple platforms, what makes you think that the PC versions of the games wouldn't run well too? Though, of course the game devs are responsible for it too.

For example: Gears of War for PC looks and runs better than the xbox version.

Upvote 0
Unreal Engine techs have been benchmarks for PC gaming in most aspects. I can't think of a single other PC game engine that is used so widely by so many developers. And I can only think of a few other fps games that are coming out soon that aren't built around it.

If the focus of the tech shifts to "next gen" then the PC loses out. Big time. So what they'll make it for PC's too, but that wasn't what it was created for.

Upvote 0
'microtransactions' 'tiered subscriptions' - its all numbers to them people. Shareholders decide at the moment, not you and me. And they know that, cause for some reason people will patronize these bullsht business models regardless. But it doesnt need to be that way. If you look closely at them, they're just a means to fleece more money from you for things you used to get for free; they've got to support their bloated payrolls somehow. Its up to you not to feed them if they arent going to give you EXACTLY what you want for your money and time. Be a smarter consumer and realize the manipulation that goes on behind the scenes. Notice how they always talk with some kind of speculation and/or sense of fear? They dont like feeling that way, so in turn you will only be offered what doesnt make them feel that way ala subscription to play, or microtransactions for new goodies.. you wont see value for your money much in the future if you buy into their current 'trends'. Send them a message that you want no part of it by not purchasing it - even if its the most highly anticipated game and kills you not to play it. Dont support less quality/less value for more money!

I would even go so far as to say that community content will be frowned upon at some point in the future because it 'infringes with their ability to charge you for new content.'

Upvote 0