• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
Hey,

Now that the UDK is being released for iOS (iPhone, iPad) does anyone think Killing Floor or Red Orchestra will be ported?
TW seemed very eager to port to mac as soon as they could so why not iOS?
Would be the best thing in the world to play KF in the bus stop or on the train

Have you ever played a first person game on an iPhone, iTouch, or iPad? It sucks. Unless you enjoy ****ty controls and headaches. No thanks. I'd rather them devote dev time elsewhere.

Upvote 0
The UDK is for Unreal Engine 3; RO and KF run on Unreal Engine 2.5. That makes it impossible to do a straight port. Also, as Amerikaner said, they would be nearly impossible to control well on a touchscreen. Games that run on touchscreens need as few controls as possible to work well; the best experience you're likely to get out of an FPS from a control standpoint is something like Doom, which only needs a D-Pad and a Fire button (can you jump in Doom too?). Even then the virtual D-Pad doesn't work as well as I'd like it to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now that the UDK is being released for iOS (iPhone, iPad) does anyone think Killing Floor or Red Orchestra will be ported?

Whew.. glad you clarified.. for a second there I was afraid they would add UDK to the CCNA/CCNP/CCIE exams.. although I'd guess I would have a leg-up since I already know some concepts of UDK in addition to IOS, it'd still be hell :/

---
Sorry.. back on topic..

I don't understand the appeal to try and a play a game on a small/portable screen, esp a shooter-like game that requires at some basic level pixel-hunting. I guess I'm just crusty and need to stick to not having a Friend Face account, etc..

:]

But ya, what BobDog said.. wrong game engine. As for the idea of putting Rojos on an Iphone/Ipad, well I guess ultimately that's up to TWI, but my opinion would be a straight port would absolutely not work well at all. Even the 'relaxed' settings. It's sorta like another level of simplicity from PC -> Console -> mobile.. at each step you have to simplify/streamline control scheme, and make adjustments to the gameplay to accomidate those changes.

RO would definately not work.. I could see a simplified version of KF working better though since it's generally more streamlined then RO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You could make a shooter I guess, but not like a PC (or console) FPS.

To have touch-based analog pad's the gameplay needs to be a tad slower and you'll need a big screen to compensate for your fingers blocking the screen.

If touchscreen phones had shoulder pads and at least one trackball/trackpad, you might just pull off console-like shooters.
But nothing like Red Orchestra obviously.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yes but the question remains, the UDK is not for iPhone but the Unreal Engine 3 can now be run on an iPhone. But if TWI (or some contractor) makes a cellphone / tablet game with RO or KF I hope it will be for an android device. Because I will never buy an Apple product (just because) :IS2:

UDK is released for iOS not Andriod

Maybe the reason was iOS is a much more graphically advanced platform with OpenGL

Upvote 0
UDK is released for iOS not Andriod

Maybe the reason was iOS is a much more graphically advanced platform with OpenGL
Android also uses OpenGL ES 2.0 to interface with graphics hardware.

Apple probably gave Epic Games a few financial "investments". And Android is based on Java, although you can run C++ binaries in the Dalvik VM by directly running on the Linux kernel.

Upvote 0
For people who don't know

Epic games showcased UDK at Apples September 2010 music event
They used a demo game called Epic Citadel to demonstrate the stunning graphics UDK can bring to iOS (iPhone, iPad)

You can download it for free here: [url]http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/epic-citadel/id388888815?mt=8[/URL]
And vie more info here : [url]http://www.epicgames.com/technology/epic-citadel[/URL]

Well, I know what the UDK is, but is the iOS UDK a version of the UDK you use on your phone or do you use it on the PC and make apps for the phone?

Upvote 0
Android also uses OpenGL ES 2.0 to interface with graphics hardware.

Apple probably gave Epic Games a few financial "investments". And Android is based on Java, although you can run C++ binaries in the Dalvik VM by directly running on the Linux kernel.

In the press convention with Tim Sweeney he said that the market of android wasn't big enough yet. Tbh i expect them to port it once android 3.0 comes out. Android 3.0 got pretty steep hardware requirements so it can become a gaming platform.

Upvote 0