• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ubisoft's new DRM

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98927-Ubisoft-DRM-Authentication-Servers-Go-Down

2py18bo.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Offtopic, but that first disclaimer-page about the multicultural dev team with various religious beliefs is hilarious... So is the game racist or what? If it's ok, why put up a disclaimer? And if it's not, what's the disclaimer gonna do?

Well, I suppose the game can't do harm while the servers are down? High five.:p

Heh, they had that one for the first Assasins Creed aswell, since the game took place in Crusader times they where scared of a beeing called relegiously intollerent or racist, it's the old "i can't be a racist because i have a black freind!" defense ;)

Upvote 0
Probably white liberal guilt again.

Not really. The game does offer some diverse viewpoints. And it's more the atmosphere is so convincing, people were bound to get offended when Altair was running around shanking authentic looking Middle Easterners, in their mosque. Games tend to shy away from outright religious conflict...AC went straight to it. Whether they need the disclaimer or not, I don't sneeringly think less of them for doing it.

Upvote 0
Not really. The game does offer some diverse viewpoints. And it's more the atmosphere is so convincing, people were bound to get offended when Altair was running around shanking authentic looking Middle Easterners, in their mosque. Games tend to shy away from outright religious conflict...AC went straight to it. Whether they need the disclaimer or not, I don't sneeringly think less of them for doing it.

Political correctness, white guilt... all the same, just as bad. :p

But let's go back on topic.

Upvote 0
I am wary of internet scarmongering and exaggeration, but i had a mate who had 2 dvd RW drives inexplicably degrade in performance and then die - then i heard about the starforce thing and found he'd been playing stuff like trackmania, toca 3 and gt legends - so i think there's something in it.

Anyways I got silent hunter 3 some time ago but have been scared to install it - however...
am i correct in that if you just install it without running, then patch up and find a way to avoid dvd checking you would totally avoid having starforce on your system?

on the subject of DRM, my local games trade shop has 'world in conflict' - i hear the latest patch removes protection but does anyone know if you have to regester the key to an account to play online - as in supreme commander?
This kind of protection kills the 2nd hand market which, as it shouldn't really exist anyway, is fair enough i guess but it's bad for ppl like me who trade games.

Upvote 0
Why shouldn't the second hand market continue?

well, I'm guessing that if the software is not legally yours, it follows that you are not permitted to sell it.
you merely purchase the right to use the software, and i think that's non-transferable.
well that's the impression i get from the eula anyway - i'm not a legal expert and there might be consumer rights that supersede this and allow the sale of the license.

anyways, it does seem like this system of online actiation where the cd-key is checked and then perminantly associated with an account (a bit like steam on a game by game basis) is designed more to combat the 2nd hand market than the pirates.
there's a lot of games where this applies now i think- mass effect , far cry 2, spore - a lot of Ubi and EA stuff basically.
Unless you also recieve the account information a second hand copy is useless.
however some games are less harsh with only the mp componant affected.

I was wondering if this was the case with Ubi's World in conflict?
I'm pretty sure that, like supreme commander, online mp will be unavailable if the copy has already been regestered to an account (and you don't have the details)

Upvote 0