• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Type 99 Rifle/Type 38 Rifle random selection.

Fritz45

Sep 17, 2012
Hey guys I just wanted to give some input on how I think the Japanese rifles should work. I was thinking it would be really cool if the Type 99 and Type 38 where implemented into the game, as in if you selected riflemen it would be a random chance to either get the Type 99 or the Type 38 as they both where used extensively in the war. What do you guys think?

Yeah the rifles have advantages and disadvantages. The smaller caliber one shoots straighter for instance.

No. Newer weapons are adopted because they are better. The Type 99 is superior in virtually every way to the 38, hence its adoption. To take this point to the logical extreme, a 600 year old matchlock musket should not be balanced with a modern assault rifle in any videogame.

Upvote 0
No. Newer weapons are adopted because they are better. The Type 99 is superior in virtually every way to the 38, hence its adoption. To take this point to the logical extreme, a 600 year old matchlock musket should not be balanced with a modern assault rifle in any videogame.

That said, older weapons sometimes do have *some* advantages over the new, even when one narrows the criteria down to those that would be relevant for a video game.

The obvious example is that the Model 1861 Springfield Rifle has a longer reach in melee combat than the M4 carbine.

But on a more subtle note, the MG34 has a select-fire capability that the MG42 does not, despite the latter's other advantages, while the Colt M1911 is still unofficially in use in the U.S. military and Special Forces due to its reliability, accuracy, and hitting power, despite the adoption of the M9.

Upvote 0
But on a more subtle note, the MG34 has a select-fire capability that the MG42 does not, despite the latter's other advantages, while the Colt M1911 is still unofficially in use in the U.S. military and Special Forces due to its reliability, accuracy, and hitting power, despite the adoption of the M9.

To my knowledge the 9mm is preferred and you don't get to choose. You get what you're issued.

Perhaps that's why it should be random; if you were in the Japanese army you'd get what you're given and are expecting to kill thousands of barbaric American soldiers with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To my knowledge the 9mm is preferred and you don't get to choose. You get what you're issued.

Perhaps that's why it should be random; if you were in the Japanese army you'd get what you're given and are expecting to kill thousands of barbaric American soldiers with it.

afaik some operators are actually subsidized if they choose to purchase a handgun independently, at least during the 1990s. USSOCOM has also recently started a procurement process explicitly asking for a pistol chambered in .45 ACP, citing the need for better stopping power.

I also know for a fact that the MEU(SOC), a modernized 1911, is issued to Marine Force Recon.

Upvote 0
afaik some operators are actually subsidized if they choose to purchase a handgun independently, at least during the 1990s. USSOCOM has also recently started a procurement process explicitly asking for a pistol chambered in .45 ACP, citing the need for better stopping power.

I also know for a fact that the MEU(SOC), a modernized 1911, is issued to Marine Force Recon.

I dont understand this murikan hard on for the 1911 handgun.
dont get me wrong i have been informed it is a good handgun.
i just dont even.

still, that fancy handgun still wont save you from being bayoneted and or having limbs removed by Katanas :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i just dont even.

still, that fancy handgun still wont save you from being bayoneted and or having limbs removed by Katanas :D

It's because of it's history, it's reliability, and it being chambered in .45. A lot of people don't like 9mm.

Upvote 0
i just dont even.

The best way to become informed is to go rent one from a suitable range and "inform" yourself. ;)

I've heard it from Vietnam vets, competitive shooters, and a former deputy sheriff--anyone worth their salt at the firing bench will tell you that a hundred years later, it's still keeping pace with the competition.

Upvote 0
.45 ACP has worked since 1911 but 9mm has worked since 1902.

Both are cartridges that work, always have, always will. In Ball / FMJ configuration they might as well hit the same: statistically, they both have had a 63% chance of incapacitating with a single round to the torso regarding thousands of recorded shootings. When data exists to that degree it isn't wrong. See the 1-Shot-Stop databases; mind you, when there are very few recorded shootings with a caliber data is prone to being inaccurate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think that Japanese rifles should have a LV1 unlock of the bayonet. Because almost most of the Japanese rifleman have rifles equipped.

japanese everything should have it at level 1. I think handguns were the only things that they weren't regularly fitting bayonets to :p

on handguns, the adf still uses the hi-power, so it's not all bad :p

Upvote 0