• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Type 56 Accuracy (Is it really 4.5 MOA?)

The Type 56 supposedly has a 4.5 MOA accuracy (5 MOA for the AKM) (source). Theoretically, 4.5 MOA translates to 4.5 inches of spread at 100 yards (about 90 meters). But when shooting with it I've always felt like the shots were simply not going where I was aiming. It sometimes took me 15+ shots at worst when trying to dink MGs who only had their head exposed, even at distances of around 100m (I'm not a noob; my KDR is around 2 and I have 400+ hours on the clock).

I experimented with this by attempting to score a headshot at 100m on vnte-traininggrounds (link to my experiment) using a Type 56, and it took 6 shots before one landed. The median human head breadth is around 15 cm (nearly 6 inches), so how is it possible for a gun that shoots 4.5 or 5 MOA to miss a shot aimed at a head from 100m at all?

Most of the design team that would be able to provide good answers to you here have long since moved off the project so I'm not able to get you a fresh answer, but this has been discussed before so will try and answer to the best of my knowledge based on what I remember.

Yes, accuracy is reduced globally on weapons by a factor of 2 or 3 to help compromise for the average engagement distance in the game/map size as well as use in real human hands, not clamped down at a firing range in perfect conditions.

As to the AKM itself, there are the official specs, and what actually was being produced and used in the field, and there were some HUGE differences. Our data was mostly compiled from field reports on in use weapons from what I recall.

Last edited:
Reactions: frootloopers
Upvote 0
Most of the design team that would be able to provide good answers to you here have long since moved off the project so I'm not able to get you a fresh answer, but this has been discussed before so will try and answer to the best of my knowledge based on what I remember.

Yes, accuracy is reduced globally on weapons by a factor of 2 or 3 to help compromise for the average engagement distance in the game/map size as well as use in real human hands, not clamped down at a firing range in perfect conditions.

As to the AKM itself, their is the official specs, and what actually was being produced and used in the field, and there were some HUGE differences. Our data was mostly compiled from field reports on in use weapons from what I recall.
I see, I don't have a problem w/ the AK-type weapons as long as they are within 3-6 MOA, but reducing accuracy on all weapons by a factor of 2 or 3 unfairly affects weapons with less-than-superb accuracy. M-16s and M-14s are virtually unaffected at all in-game ranges while AKs start missing a lot above 75m. Inaccuracy due to real human hands should realistically be a flat decrease in accuracy, independent from the gun's 'mechanical' accuracy. If someone aims a gun that shoots 3 MOA within 2 MOA of the target, it would become a gun that shoots up to 5 MOA, not 6 MOA.

Upvote 0