• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Two quick (hopefully) questions...

I've almost finished making my first map. It's nothing amazing, just an arena style affair to get used to the editor and all the different aspects of level design. However, I do have two problems which are bugging me...

1) KFSpawnVolume: When creating a spawn volume, the spawn cylinders end up miles away from the actual volume. I've been told that I need to move the pivot to somewhere with the bound of the volume and that it'll auto-generate the spawns from that point but no matter what I do, I can't get it to create them within the bounds. Am I missing something painfully obvious?

2) Pathing: There are a few flights of stairs on my map and although zeds can get to anywhere on the map, they seem to always use their jump ability when approaching the top or bottom of stairs and rounding a corner. How can this behavior be defeated?

I'm sure I'm just being thick. Any advice appreciated.

RawrUK;n2319283 said:
I've almost finished making my first map. It's nothing amazing, just an arena style affair to get used to the editor and all the different aspects of level design. However, I do have two problems which are bugging me...

1) KFSpawnVolume: When creating a spawn volume, the spawn cylinders end up miles away from the actual volume. I've been told that I need to move the pivot to somewhere with the bound of the volume and that it'll auto-generate the spawns from that point but no matter what I do, I can't get it to create them within the bounds. Am I missing something painfully obvious?

2) Pathing: There are a few flights of stairs on my map and although zeds can get to anywhere on the map, they seem to always use their jump ability when approaching the top or bottom of stairs and rounding a corner. How can this behavior be defeated?

I'm sure I'm just being thick. Any advice appreciated.

1. For spawn volumes, you should adjust their bounds by using the local scale tool - adjusting their volume size using the geometry tool usually screws up the pivot point for where they spawn. If it gets out of control you can try inverting the changes you did with the geometry tool - but its a lot easier just to create new ones from scratch.

2. You can tell the AI to "not take this path" if you proscribed paths. Select 2 nodes, right click the node Path Options > Proscribe paths/proscribe one direction. It will create a red line between paths where zeds wont follow. You can experiment with it to get it to work. They use it in some official maps so you can have a look around for red paths to see how they use it.

Reactions: Pharrahnox
Upvote 0