• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

TWI, make separate binds for cover and use.

THD

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2006
This has been said many times already, but tbh in this case a few more times isn't too many. We need separate keys for cover and use. Atm they are, and cover takes priority over use, which makes it impossible to:

pick up weapons next to a wall
resupply gunners next to a wall
bandage next to a wall

and can make it problematic to use mounted mg

This is completely game-breaking and so needs to be changed, that it imo deserves a new thread every hour until it is fixed.

I wouldn't call it game-breaking... but yes, I do find some of the consolidated controls a bit bizarre. Not sure why they went with that approach.

If they can improve it, great. If not, i'll be a little disappointed, but it wouldn't be the end of the world and certainly wouldn't put me off the game.

Upvote 0
Here's the link to BobDog's post

This only covers bandaging - but it may be possible, with some further INI tweaking, to split out resupplying the MG too. If I have time tonight, I'll take a look myself and see if I can figure it out.

I don't think this is really a true "fix", because (I think) it still leaves all 3 functions on the use/interact key, and just creates an additional single bind for Bandaging on the key of your choice. So it'll help bandaging obviously, but won't change the situation with cover vs. resupply/pickup items.

Upvote 0
It's so frustrating when you try to resupply a MG gunner in a window and the only thing your doing is cover against the wall.

Poor MG just kept yelling for ammo, so I told him to cease fire and walk back into the room so I could resupply him. Unfortunately he got sniped as he redeployed. Dead, but with ammo. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
guys, i know the devs may not have commented on this yet, but i would think it is a foregone conclusion that this will be changed in the full versions to be able to bind these commands separately

You think? :) Because many people (myself included) constantly hassled Splash Damage to change the same decision in Brink, and they largely ignored it. True, they have both PC and console versions and wanted to keep them "consistent" (consistently ruined IMO) - but since this has been done to simplify the RO2 experience, I'm ever-so-slightly doubtful that it'll be changed. I do hope it is, however - because INI workarounds don't really fix it.

Reactions: [DH]Chris89
Upvote 0
I wouldn't call it game-breaking... but yes, I do find some of the consolidated controls a bit bizarre. Not sure why they went with that approach.
It is part of efforts to make the control scheme easier to use. Context sensitive actions. Less keybinds to set up and worry about. This does not mean that it is always successful or works well for everyone.

The context sensitive use button works well for me most of the time. But as others said, I often have control problems when needing to apply bandage, pick up weapons or resupply a machine gunner. These problems are significant enough to warrant implementing an alternative method (i.e. cover key being single purpose, and a use button for everything else, as there is rarely any context problem when cover is not involved).

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
I totally agree. Not-quite-game breaking but 100% annoying all of the time.

Until someone from Tripwire completely convinces me with a very lucid and well presented argument to the contrary, this will be my #1 gripe about this game. It trumps by far whatever performance issues we are seeing with the beta now.

With that said, this is the only game I've played since the beta came out....and I love it more and more each time I play.

Upvote 0
You think? :) Because many people (myself included) constantly hassled Splash Damage to change the same decision in Brink, and they largely ignored it. True, they have both PC and console versions and wanted to keep them "consistent" (consistently ruined IMO) - but since this has been done to simplify the RO2 experience, I'm ever-so-slightly doubtful that it'll be changed. I do hope it is, however - because INI workarounds don't really fix it.

Im sure/ hope that Tripwire will listern and not do the same as splash damage.

But saying that the RO2 Beta is in a miles better condition then brink was at released and regret buying that game since it is pretty much dead now online after 2/3 months after release.

Use key would be helpful as a sepreate key as trying to resupply MG's whilst near a wall makes you go into cover and not resupply him.

Upvote 0
This cause many times that I can't pick up a gun which is lying on the ground next to a wall or in a door. My soldier always love sticking to the wall better instead of picking up that damn weapon.
It's a very blocker bug I think what needs to be fixed! It's unbelievable how we always die because of this unusable key combo!

WE NEED AN OPTION TO SEPARATE IT PLEASE!

Upvote 0