• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

TV Shows that shouldn't have been cancelled

The ending was beautiful, I always felt that it ended that way because that is how Tony's life will one day end, he will have no way of knowing when or how it will happen until it's too late.

I think that if you assume that Tony gets whacked it's a terrible ending. I mean, who is left who would want him dead? There's no evidence that anyone was planning to kill him. The Lupertazzi family had been decapitated so many times there was barely anything left of them and Patsy didn't have the balls to do it in season 2 (or was it 3?). Besides, who knew they where meeting at some diner instead of Artie's? I'm not saying that the Sopranos lived happily ever after though because that would've been a boring ending without a doubt. ****ing with people's heads and leaving it ambiguous really was the best solution.

Upvote 0
I know I am very much alone in this, but the X-Files still had potential. Yes, it was going south by the 9th season, but it could have been salvaged. While I didn't think Monica Reyes was all that well written, John Doggett was a brilliant character that worked well off Dana Scully. I consider him equal to both Mulder and Scully.

Could Doggett have carried the show without Mulder and Scully? Probably not, Reyes as 'the believer' did not really work for me. The super soldier mythology was bland compared to the colonisation mythology, but the 'monster of the week' episodes with Scully and Doggett were all great and that alone was enough to make it the X-Files.

I love this show and I rewatch it frequently. It is a window into the 90's which is both awesome and unusual. Many 90's shows feels like 80's shows.

Upvote 0
The colonisation mytharc was finished by the start of the 7th season (the last Mulder season). The Syndicate was wiped out. To be honest, the 7th season didn't have a lot going on, just lots of comedy 'monster of the week' episodes and minor character development episodes. It ends with Mulder being abducted.

What made the colonisation mytharc (season 1-6) work was that it was full of surprises. Yes, it was a government conspiracy, but it wasn't all straight forward and on task the whole time. Having a whole season of Mulder doubting aliens even existed was an excellent dynamic. It did drag on for a very long time but it was grand and dangerous, it put the characters in very interesting positions.

The supersoldier myth that started late 8th season had pretty much no mystery, it was straight up "government conspiracy to create er... super soldiers" with no surprises. It didn't go anywhere because the show was cancelled after the 9th season.

Upvote 0
... Especially want to see more Firefly, or at least another film or feature length something-or-other. Can't believe Dollhouse got a second season and Firefly didn't.

Been watching Dollhouse and its growing on me. Had to watch thru the first few episodes before the storyline started to be clear and I like it. Definitely better than alot of stuff that gets additional seasons. But I do agree, Firefly was phenomenal and was the better series.

Upvote 0