• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tutorials for beginners

RandomPerson78642

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2014
USA
I've been wanting to create mods and such for RO2 for quite some time now, but I cannot because there are literally no tutorials anywhere. I've must've spent hours on Google by now and still don't know anything.

I know a bit about mapping from what Beskar explained to me, but I still want to know how to create sound and model mutators. Preferably clientside, as I don't want to mess with any server nonsense.

There's a lot of things you can do with mods. Some only require coding, others require more for example HotW. If you're interested in learning the code in RS/RO2 take a detailed look into the Src files, and download UncodeX, it maps out the classes for you, quite useful. Which more or less how I began to attempt to code in this game. I'm still nowhere near Dibbler's or Commander Shepard's level though. Modeling and Sound, and Animating I can't help you much. If you want to find out more about the SDK look at some Unreal Engine 3 Tutorials. So you can understand the basics.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
WITH CODE:

If you want to modify something simple, extending an actor is the way to do it.

Uscript is object oriented, and builds on inheritance. So rather than re-inventing the wheel, you make a child of another object (extend). The child has all the features/functionality of the parent, plus any new or changed items.

The Winter version for tanks are done this way, just by replacing the string for the material calls in the default properties effects a skin change.

This does create a new UC file that needs to be compiled for runtime, how you add it is in the realm of Mods, mutators and total conversions. AFAIK, you can't have a UC as part of a map package (upk or roe). In the past you could save a "u" file in a map. I did some custom flags for a CTF map this way. The flags were spawned in game and not available as a placable object.

NO CODE:

Minor stuff like texture or sounds can be done by editing an actors advanced properties inside a map, or creating a Kismet sequence. No scripting is needed, and the result is 100% compatable without any additional installs other than placing the custom map file to the proper directory.

TE-Yakovlevo_CA has custom sounds and materials attached/applied to stock actors, plus many other custom add ins like the intro music and various meshes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So wait. Let's say I want to replace the Japanese in-game music. Do I have to edit every single Rising Storm map?

And where exactly is that located? I know how to edit maps, but I haven't seen anything music related in Kismet or anywhere else.

Oh well, thanks for the assistance. Hopefully I'll untangle this mess eventually.

Man, I wish all engines were as mod-friendly as Source.
To make a sound mod there you just plop a .wav file in the right folder and you're done.

Upvote 0
Replacing the in-game music would likely require a Mod. By selecting a custom game-type, custom music can be called to play during a match in place of stock music.

Stock music would still play unless it was over-written with new music calls in the extended game-type properties, as the "play music" variables were defined in a Parent class.

If you know the name of the music variables, you maybe able to over-write them inside of a map using Kismet. Then the custom music would indeed be just wav files in your map package. Since they are referenced in Kismet, will save with the map and get brewed without issues.

Upvote 0
And that's another thing. What's up with all this nonsense kitchen business?
I can sort of understand how it works for maps, but what about everything else? Especially scripts in particular. I've heard you need to turn .uc files into a .u file with the makecontent command, but I can never seem to get that to work, when brewcontent works perfectly.

But I suppose I can find an explanation for that in the general documentation you provided.

Although I still don't understand why you can't just overwrite the sound cue in the main files.

You know what, forget it. Unless dibbler responds to my question on how to make a sound mutator it's not happening anytime soon.

This was really just a one-off thing anyway, I apologize for wasting everyone's time.

Upvote 0
And that's another thing. What's up with all this nonsense kitchen business?
I can sort of understand how it works for maps, but what about everything else? Especially scripts in particular. I've heard you need to turn .uc files into a .u file with the makecontent command, but I can never seem to get that to work, when brewcontent works perfectly.
Ahem, Brewing isn't kitchen business. :p
Anyways don't get discouraged, it'll all work out.

Upvote 0
Wait a minute. What about model mods?

Say I want to replace the US Army models. I know they're defined in the script files:

Code:
class RSAlliedPawnArmyLevel1Rifleman extends RSAlliedPawnArmyLevel1;

DefaultProperties
{
     FieldgearMesh=SkeletalMesh'CHR_RS_US_Army.Mesh.us_army_gear_raw_rifleman'
     HeadgearMeshes(0)=SkeletalMesh'CHR_RS_USA_Headgear.Mesh.USA_Army_Helmet'
}

So theoretically I could import a new mesh, (CHR_RS_UK.Mesh.british_gear_rifleman' for example) then replace all those lines in every role file.

What I'm trying to ask is, can I just replace SkeletalMesh'CHR_RS_US_Army.Mesh.us_army_gear_raw_rifleman' directly?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wait a minute. What about model mods?

Say I want to replace the US Army models. I know they're defined in the script files:

Code:
class RSAlliedPawnArmyLevel1Rifleman extends RSAlliedPawnArmyLevel1;

DefaultProperties
{
     FieldgearMesh=SkeletalMesh'CHR_RS_US_Army.Mesh.us_army_gear_raw_rifleman'
     HeadgearMeshes(0)=SkeletalMesh'CHR_RS_USA_Headgear.Mesh.USA_Army_Helmet'
}

So theoretically I could import a new mesh, (CHR_RS_UK.Mesh.british_gear_rifleman' for example) then replace all those lines in every role file.

What I'm trying to ask is, can I just replace SkeletalMesh'CHR_RS_US_Army.Mesh.us_army_gear_raw_rifleman' directly?

No you cannot, these aren't files the game actually uses, I believe they're here for modders, and the like anyways. You'd have to create a mutator that either changes them during map load, or (easier) create a copy of the files, modify them and rename them, then compile them and brew 'em. Once that's done add them to the map. I don't have the files with me on hand so I'm not 100%, though you may have to edit far more than just this, like a lot of files. mainly just the Pawnwhatever classes. going from level 1-5 for all role classes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What the heck are you guys talking about, you CAN edit the meshes directly!

c740c11793.png

No coding or anything!

And the same goes for sounds too.

If you save a package (any package) it'll make a copy in the Documents/My Games/RedOrchestra2/ROGame/Unpublished folder.
Then you make all the edits you want, copy the saved packages from Unpublished to Published, and the game will use those instead of the original!

That's what I've been trying to get this whole time.

I don't know why you guys were giving me such convoluted explanations when the answer was so simple.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well that works for you, but this wouldnt be the way to modify the game as you couldnt overwrite every players mesh packages. I was under the impression you were looking for a way to make usable Mods, so thats where the Mutator suggestion comes in. Rather than replacing the files the game references, the mutator replaces the references. Maybe I was confused about what you were trying to do?

BTW, Nice Head BAnd!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well that works for you, but this wouldnt be the way to modify the game as you couldnt overwrite every players mesh packages. I was under the impression you were looking for a way to make usable Mods, so thats where the Mutator suggestion comes in. Rather than replacing the files the game references, the mutator replaces the references. Maybe I was confused about what you were trying to do?

BTW, Nice Head BAnd!
Yep, I was confused as well, I told Random through steam about the main problem being server issues, and all that crap. I told him he could do it, no problem, but it would bring up problems in multiplayer.

Upvote 0
But the thing is, do do all that I need to know how to compile script files.

I know the basic process: copy the files from the src folder, modify them, stick them in the unpublished folder and compile them, but the exact details are give me grief.

I have:

...\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Unpublished\Src\TestMutator\RSGameContent\Classes\RSAxisPawn.uc

...\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\Binaries\Win64\rogame make TestMutator

And yet it keeps saying that no scripts need recompiling. I've tried tons of different file and folder combinations, no dice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
you don't need the rsgamecontent folder just the "classes" folder, though I doubt that's the problem.
You also have to brew them before they can be used. I'm not entirely sure what you asking. Perhaps if you could give me a more detailed explanation.
Honestly I should or someone should make some sticky threads on mutators and stuff.

Upvote 0