• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Turn ON/OFF engine + lights, + Time Cycle.

MEGADETHTHRETH

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2009
ENGINE ON/OFF: It would be great to be able to turn on and off the engine in the new red orchestra as it is annoying when you switch from gunner to driver in ostfront and you can be heard easily starting the tank, the main problem is when online and if there are 2 people in a tank then the driver has to switch to the mg to turn off the engine, and when there is 3 people in a tank the driver has to get out to silence the engine. Imagine being camouflaged and hidden in your panther in a bush with having the option to turn on and off the engine.

LIGHTS ON/OFF + TIME CYCLE: It would be cool, to be able to switch on and off lights in tanks and other vehicles, Also this would really come into play if there was a time cycle where there was a transition from evening to night, night to dawn...etc.

What do you guys think?

All pretty good ideas.

I never noticed the turning on and off of a tank when you switched positions in Ost, but now that I think about it, it would probly be more realistic to just keep the engine running and have the tank have manual ignition

As far as lights go, it would be useful to be able to kill the lights to set ambushes in night-time maps. Though I don't know if HoS will have lighting that dynamically changes with time and position of the sun, it would be cool to have though:)

Upvote 0
ENGINE ON/OFF: It would be great to be able to turn on and off the engine in the new red orchestra as it is annoying when you switch from gunner to driver in ostfront and you can be heard easily starting the tank, the main problem is when online and if there are 2 people in a tank then the driver has to switch to the mg to turn off the engine, and when there is 3 people in a tank the driver has to get out to silence the engine. Imagine being camouflaged and hidden in your panther in a bush with having the option to turn on and off the engine.

I may or may not be right here, but in most tanks, isn't the turret traverse assisted by power from the engine? I think most tanks had a manual crank to traverse in emergencies, but this was much slower. If the engine is off, the turret traverse speed should be reduced signifigantly.

I know in ROOST the turret traverse stays the same, but this is sort of a comprimise as you can't keep the engine on when solo tanking. However, if there were an option to explicity turn the engine off for stealth reasons (presumably then you could keep it on while solo-tanking), I think the realistic consequences should apply. That is, a drastically reduced turret traverse speed.

I may be wrong on this though.

Upvote 0
Not really most, the tigers traverse speed certainly was linked to the number of revs of the engine. We had engine switching added to CC and also different turrent rotation speed and sound for the on and off state. The tanks we had in had manual turrent traverse, so it didnt really matter.

Upvote 0
Capt.Cool said:
was avaliable for germans in late 1944.
Not true this was available all throughout the war for most optics the German had including tanks "Mspaul" can confirm this

In the mean time here are some pics of the Pak38 optic:'
Day time:

Night time:

And a few of the scherenfernrohr/scissor binoculars:

From the lone sentry:
This is the gun sight for the 75mm Kwk 37 L/24

k. Night Illumination
The mounting for the range-scale plate is drilled on the edge, so that the scale can be illuminated by the bulb holder (8C) (figure 4) through a glass window on the side of the graticule box. A variable shutter in the bulb holder varies the degree of illumination provided.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hackel and Tank!
Upvote 0
I've always thought Ignition would be a good idea, and disadvantages to having your engine off, such as manual turret traverse and not being able to react quickly to suprises IMO seem like they balance out the stealth advantage nicely.

On a hypothetical note: can you imagine a downhill level / level with lots of hills, where you could turn off your engine and stealthily roll down a hill without being heard...?

Probably isn't practical with tanks but a man can dream..

Last edited:
Upvote 0