• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tripwire talks Stalingrad to Voodoo Extreme

Did anyone catch this little bit in the article?

The new Red Orchestra experience is going to utilize a similar system in which you'll get a small indicator letting you know that there's an enemy in your peripheral vision.

What? No! This is the absolute opposite of realism!

Why do we need an indicator to tell us there is an enemy in our peripheral vision?. We can do that ourselves. We already have peripheral vision, so there's no need to simulate it with some abstract game mechanic! Furthermore, people don't always notice what is in their peripheral vision if they are focused intensely on a certain thing, or if that object in their peripheral vision is well hidden! How are you going to decide which elements the player's periphery are visible or not?

What a terrible sounding feature.

Upvote 0
I think the downsides outweigh the advantages. I cannot think of any realistic way(unless the devs can enlighten me as to how this is accomplished) for the game to determine whether or not you will see something in your periphery.

It's like in ARMA how you can find targets simply by holding down the action key and scanning your surroundings until your character shouts "MAN UNKNOWN 12 O CLOCK 200 METRES", eliminating the need for the player to actually look for things with his own eyes.

The most realistic way I could see this being accomplished is maybe a very subtle blur on your compass or screen in the general direction of where the enemy has been, and only if he has been there for a certain amount of time, with the blur being more noticeable the longer the enemy has been in there. But nothing that instantly and easily lets you know if there is something there, and hopefully it will not distinguish between friendies and enemies.

Or maybe it should only activate when you are aiming, thus compensating for the decreased FOV when you are aiming your weapon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It really depends on the size of any icon and how noticeable it is. You might not see a player hiding low in ruins, but the instant you turn away the icon gives away their position - that wouldn't be on, but I don't know how it could be avoided.

Certainly I do like the idea of something for peripheral vision, but on a personal level I'd prefer that it was simply proper Eyefinity support. :p

Upvote 0