• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tripwire talks Stalingrad to Voodoo Extreme

well, the uniforms in ro:eek:stfront were different, depending on the class you used (=correct ammo puches for the gun, different hats and stuff). i guess they wont dump that for hos. it's all still work in progress, so i guess we can see these models as placeholders. i doubt that twi wouldnt do anything to improve hos over ostfront in every way that's possible.

i dont think the stock is folded on that mp40, although i always wanted to have that ability in ostfront :)

i also like the idea of randomly generating the cosemetic equipment a soldier spawns with. it's just eye candy and why shouldn't be there some variety?

Upvote 0
it's just eye candy and why shouldn't be there some variety?

I think many new players will unfortunately judge ROHoS by its "Eye Candy"

Using the Unreal Engine 3 will place a lot of expectancy on TWI to provide not just a very playable game but a game which will look and feel as good as any of the new releases out there.

We must all remember that the screenies so far released are of an alpha stage game.
So a lot of work still to be done before we even get to beta.
We will hopefully all see the things we are hoping to see and some surprises in the coming months..:D

Upvote 0
Well, i dont take any opinion to that should half part of soldiers had lost part of their equipments. I say its mostly likely possible. But more important Xen is that you might have been scared in army if you have lost something in army whats army owns and knowing that well there will be a lot of screaming if i dont find it.

But after being 2-3 years allready in war, would you anymore care about some screaming officer. Would you care about gas mask if the only existing gas comes from your pants. I dont know.

But what i know is that, why in the hell they allways got all gears with them.
If you are in sleeping somewhere or just hanging around in your squad place and the alarm comes, you take only your helmet and weapon with you. Not like, well...hmm..no need to hurry where is my tincan probably left it to near table, oki here it goes. Now rolling the planket... dont worry guys im allmost ready. Was there something i forgot yes...the bread bag. Ou dear where have i put it.

Or if you are attacking side, like in Basovka 500 meters of mad rushing.
The officers doesnt have all the indians in the canoe if he order his
soldiers to take few kiloes of clanking stuff with them. Just water bottle and bread bag is enough to one day operation.

So the question isnt will they have all the gears, the question is will they wear them in battle situations. On Ro:Ost there wasnt many maps if any, where troops have ambushed while they are moving from point A to point B which is propaply only moment when everybody gots all their gears on.

Was i too rude, oki huge hug for you Xen, doesnt matter that you are wrong. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I didn't say they have to have all gear with them, that would be stupid. Even with only the combat gear, the soldiers would have the same equipment unless something was lost. And yes, I do think they care even if they have been 2-3 years in a war. As soon as you stop caring, you'll die or some man farts at your face and you die because you don't have your gasmask. :p

And in the army I was the one yelling if someone lost any equipment :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi all, being reading the forum for while now and finally decided to register!

The argument on whether or not the soldiers on either side were carrying full gear is interesting indeed. I suppose if you focus on Stalingrad alone and say the 6th Army i bet you the dudes there would have been carrying as much as they could with them, as this pic shows. No wonder, they were mostly isolated platoons and re-supply was very scarce to say the least. Russians were operating in almost the same way, in small groups of detached soldiers which again would have been carrying quite a bit (here's a pic of overloaded kids at Stalingrad - they were often used to carry equipment and go back/forth to the back lines for messages).

Looking forward to this game, screens of the Grain Elevator are fantastic!

Upvote 0
Feldwebel Xendance

Feldwebel Xendance

On attacking situation, yes i believe they all have same gears. As they
have had time to be set to take everything needed and set to formation.

On unexpected defensive situation which is most typical defensive
situation, you got the gear which you were able to find in few secs. I dont
believe that if enemy is rushing to your trenches, you will stand in front of
tent putting mens on the line and cheking everybody got exactly the
equipments you want them to have.

Not sure if you even have time to think about what equpments they should
have. As you are not yet able to know how much of enemies are coming
and will you be able to hold the line or will it be a full back so fast as you
can run situation Mr. Feldwebel Xendance.

So now Mr. Feldwebel Xendance i would like to know in a imaginary
situation where your front patrol have not been able to make alarm,
because they were sleeping or they didnt had time to react. Your
squad is sleeping and you wake up to ALAARMM screaming from 10
meters away from your tent which have made your soldiers who
were going to go to change the front patrols, but noticed that enemy
is allready in the trenches on 30 meter from your tent.

So now tell me which equpments you order your soldiers to have in
those 10 seconds you have time to set up your defence.

I would say in that situation it would be most likely to see soldiers in
underwears only with weapon and combat belt with them.

I think it would be actually quite nice but not so important feature where
you spawn just with some gears on in first spawn and then as the game
play situation moves to deeper in your lines you will have all the gears
in next spawns as you have had more reacting time.

Upvote 0
Wow - I see what Sam meant about leaving Susi unsupervised :eek:

(here's a pic of overloaded kids at Stalingrad - they were often used to carry equipment and go back/forth to the back lines for messages).

Hi Zeroy - welcome to the forums as a participant.

That picture shows kids with trophies after the battle rather than kids being used a human mules to carry ammo back and forth (at least that's what it says in the caption usually seen with this photo).

Occasionally kids and other civilians were made to carry water and other supplies (often by force). There is the case of Lidia Kazimirova who, as a kid, survived being shot by Chekhov, the top Soviet sniper in the battle. She was forced/bribed to carry supplies to the German troops on Pl. 9 Yanvarye when she was shot. Not pleasant for a Soviet sniper having to shoot one of your own country's kids, but even less pleasant seeing your enemy getting supplies while your own men don't.

Life was very hard for the soldiers in the battle but usually even worse for the civilians.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On attacking situation, yes i believe they all have same gears. As they
have had time to be set to take everything needed and set to formation.

On unexpected defensive situation which is most typical defensive
situation, you got the gear which you were able to find in few secs. I dont
bel *snip*

I don't see any tents or camps in the pics :p
I just said that in a combat situation they would probably have all their combat gear, not all pairs of socks etc.

Upvote 0
I don't see any tents or camps in the pics :p
I just said that in a combat situation they would probably have all their combat gear, not all pairs of socks etc.

Looking at the screenshots, it seems a bit odd to see the Axis assaulting the grain elevator carrying equipment like ground sheets, entrenching tools, gas masks, mess kits, and so on. Hopefully these models are just placeholders?

Upvote 0
Looking at the screenshots, it seems a bit odd to see the Axis assaulting the grain elevator carrying equipment like ground sheets, entrenching tools, gas masks, mess kits, and so on. Hopefully these models are just placeholders?

But were those parts of their combat gear? Gas masks and entrenching tools are almost always part of combat gear.

Also, I can't even remember what the source of this argument was :D

Upvote 0

I also think that on the screenshots that 6th Army seems too heavy on gears :D - I think they would have had much much less on their back when storming the Grain Elevator ... At a minimum it would be nice to see various loadout on the Soldiers - the shots seem to indicate they all look the same. Again this could be just for eye candy on press material :cool:

Upvote 0
Even when stripped down to more improvised low drag variations, you still would carry some of the basics such as gas mask canister, E-tool and such even if some backpacks or few other things were left out. You can't rely on the supply trucks\wagons to roll in right behind you when fighting urban combat and E.G. you gain a building or so and the fighting ceases temporarily and you want to eat something. So what do you do, hope you find a mess kit somewhere or take your own and start making food? It's not like the fighting is super intense hollywood movie-like 24h\7, occasionally there might be completely quiet moments even for a day or two if things are really going in odd direction.

Or how about if you break the regulations and store food inside gas mask container (this was done occasionally) ? There's already a good reason to carry it as it was the only place germans often could put in and keep it dry :p

And considering that some things can be quite useful (shelter quarter as rain poncho, extra camouflage, use as a 'decoy' on a window etc) when it comes improvising things in hard situations, you want to carry something with you even when it seems rather illogical. How about you need to break something and you realize your E-tool is far more efficient than just smacking your fist or butt of your weapon? :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You have to remember that this was not usually just a kriegsberichter and photographer firing off random shots - most photos from the battle were staged to a greater or lesser extent. They were also usually taken of troops moving up to the front line rather than actually there.

See Jason Mark's excellent photo-album 'Angriff' for a discussion of the staging of particular photos.. and also for a good idea of exactly how much kit German troops carried into battle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You have to remember that this was not usually just a kriegsberichter and photographer firing off random shots - most photos from the battle were staged to a greater or lesser extent. They were also usually taken of troops moving up to the front line rather than actually there.

See Jason Mark's excellent photo-album 'Angriff' for a discussion of the staging of particular photos.. and also for a good idea of exactly how much kit German troops carried into battle.

Well I also think we have to differ between probes/raids and real attacks.
When a unit expected to occupy an area for a certain amount of time they would be rather heavy on equipment and extra ammo/grenades, even in the actual advance. If the troops only were on reconnaissance they would strip off any unneeded equipment.

Also, I expect nearly no gear on Defending units.

Upvote 0