• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tripwire talks Stalingrad to Voodoo Extreme

This time really great news. It looks like TWI boys were more carefully what they say,
as last time they were so excited about those relaxed realism
things that half of community get mad, and raised a storm. But now they seems to
accentuate that everything can be turned of, even the clothes.
Which isnt maybe a good thing, because my hero will need a heck of huge
sensored recktangle from crotch to ground.

Anyways, that final countdown gametype, sounds good and graphic details in maps,
weapons and charachter accessories does also.
About helmets im not a sure if they still shine little bit too much, hard to tell.

How ever maps are now quite colorfull, and i understand that they have
wanted to do game look more like FarCry/Crysis and other mainstream
games, but i'm not a sure if its little bit too candy.
Like in this image:
[url]http://ve3d.ign.com/images/64106/PC/Red-Orchestra-Heroes-of-Stalingrad/Screenshots/March-16th-Screenshot[/URL]
i waited few secs if some Pixar made softy monster will crawl on sight
behind the walls.

Something like more grey like STALKER would go better with a realistic WW2
shooter where landscape needs to be maybe little bit depressed
[url]http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/978/978815/stalker-call-of-pripyat-20090501111401153.jpg[/URL]
[url]http://img.techpowerup.org/091011/ss_pitt_10-04-09_15-21-38_%28pripyat%29.jpg[/URL]

This time there were no faces on screenshot, so hard to tell if the brows are allready
unconnected, how ever the side profile of the face which can be seen on one screenshot
looks good.

After all really good job. Definitely worth of 10 points and Parrot Badge!
[url]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b9/Papukaijamerkki.svg/352px-Papukaijamerkki.svg.png[/URL]

dude you've watched too many movies. The whole of WW2 wasn't fought against drab gray backgrounds or through a greenish brown lens filter. There were sunny, beautiful summer and spring days during the war, I'm sure. I've worked around smaller grain silo's in Australia on days that look like that many a time. And seeing how HOS is set in our time and space continium and not a fictional post-apoclyptic future there's no reason that there shouldn't be a bright beautiful day set for a map. In other words WW2 happened in our world, in all different types of conditions... :p
The only thing I'm a little unsure about is the rubble texture, it looks kinda like a texture as opposed to the cool pieces of ruble. Couldn't the texture be flattened more and have more pieces of rubble modeled on top of it instead of relying so heavily on the texture? Or is it too memory intensive? Or still alpha? Anyways over all it's looking great!

Upvote 0
A huge crater is right next to a nice small house with some plants besides it.

Like this?

Osijek-37.jpg

Upvote 0
Yes, it was Tatiana..

Yes, it was Tatiana..

She was the manager who let us in and definitely implied that we were the first, tho as far as I'm concerned they should let groups up there regularly (between work shifts?) as it is a SPECTACULAR view and the sense of the desperate fighting you get from the close quarters is downright eerie! Methinks that Jason was maybe doing you guys a proper by not letting on that we weren't the first-maybe he was sworn to secrecy? I dunno, seems plausible. I'm just glad you guys saw it too- I don't much care when or who was 'first'.
I imagine we saw many of the same places, tho we definitely had an agenda of seeing places specific to Jason Marks' books, and I can only imagine some of the potential maps that could spawn from a visit there!

The hedgehog defenses of Rynok after the first thrust to the Volga?
The huge armoured thrust through the hills South of the city?
The panicked fleeing from Pitomnik airfield in the middle of January 1943?
The suicidal Russian daylight crossing of the Volga on Sept.14, 1942 Into the teeth of the entrenched Germans?

Not to mention the Mamaev, the factories and the other famous city battles; man, there is enough there for as many armour/combined/ and infantry maps as you care to make!
Damn, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas and it's only March!
-Tim W.

Upvote 0
Methinks that Jason was maybe doing you guys a proper by not letting on that we weren't the first-maybe he was sworn to secrecy? I dunno, seems plausible. I'm just glad you guys saw it too- I don't much care when or who was 'first'.
I imagine we saw many of the same places, tho we definitely had an agenda of seeing places specific to Jason Marks' books, and I can only imagine some of the potential maps that could spawn from a visit there!

The hedgehog defenses of Rynok after the first thrust to the Volga?
The huge armoured thrust through the hills South of the city?
The panicked fleeing from Pitomnik airfield in the middle of January 1943?
The suicidal Russian daylight crossing of the Volga on Sept.14, 1942 Into the teeth of the entrenched Germans?

Not to mention the Mamaev, the factories and the other famous city battles; man, there is enough there for as many armour/combined/ and infantry maps as you care to make!
Damn, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas and it's only March!
-Tim W.
Well, Jason was under (mutual) NDA at the time, as we share research materials too - so I would have been able to claim ownership to parts of his anatomy if he'd given us up!

And Rodimtev's crossing on the 14th wasn't into the teeth of "entrenched Germans" - that is another small Stalingrad myth. The Germans had only got to the river there a few hours earlier, in small numbers and were more likely busy having a smoke, instead of doing what they should have done - bring up MGs, guns, arty spotters and dig in! It was still a pretty desperate venture on the Soviet part - the Germans STILL should have shredded them crossing the river in broad daylight. But the Germans got sloppy...

Upvote 0
Well i wouldnt say unimportant..

As i saw lot of post in this thread where someone said that, thats we
spoke on forum before, or that was my idea.

True or not, at least it seems that TWI boys read what we are posting here
and that it can have a effect to upcoming game. And so far as i can say my
opinion and it may have a change to help TWI guys to develope game even
better at least on my point of view, i will say what i got in my mind.

And also i will catch the counterarguments and reply to them.
But no, there is nothing personal, and i havent never tried to
insult anybody. Expect on one post which i writed some late night
and removed next morning, when i understood it was just stupid.

And yeah i know that i can be quite a pain in the *ss when i have strong
opinion about something. Like about Thompsons too low recoil in
Mare Nostrum and i wont admit explanations about Brithish who are
Manly mens like Psycho Sam said to me. :D :D :D

I can't leave you alone for 5 mintues without getting into trouble! :D:D

PS: Wowzar, epic trip to Russia Alan/Tony. Im jealous and you should definatley release da pics at a time when you see fit.

Upvote 0
Hey i have some questions about the HoS Soldier Models.

68943_RedOrchestraHeroesOfStalingrad-ExclusiveVoodooExtremeScreenshot-02_normal.jpg

I hope that isn't the final version of the playermodels, because it looks to equal.
All the soldiers have the same equipment at there back.
It would be much better if there are some random differences.
And isn't the "bread-bag" i little bit to large? It looks so big.
Oh, and the "gas-mask-tin" would looks better when most of the player doesn't have that bag bound around it.

And will there be optical differences between the weapon classes again?
I mean would a Rifleman get Kar98k Magazine Pouch, the Semi-automatic-Riflemen G43 Magazine Pouch and the Sub-machine gunner MP40 Magazin Pouch and the MG-Gunner only a pouch for MG-Accessory and a Map Case for the Sqaudleader.
At all the Picutres the soldiers wearing only pouches for Kar98k ammunition.

And i have an idea for the MP40
I see at the picture that the shoulder support isn't in use (like in the old RO)
Is it possible to include a ability to switch between non-shoulder-support for fast firing and shoulder-support for better aiming?
For controlling you could use the same button like you push for "changing fire mode"
That would be very cool.

And a question about RO:HoS general

Would the game only play in the year 1942/43 or would it be a game about WW2 at Eastern-Front 41-45 again?
So would we see all infantry weapons of WW2 or only those which was used in Stalingrad like MP40, Kar98, Mosin Nagant and PPSh? And no STV40, G43, StG44 and Panzerfaust?

I hope you could give me some answers for my questions :D

Upvote 0
Hey i have some questions about the HoS Soldier Models.

68943_RedOrchestraHeroesOfStalingrad-ExclusiveVoodooExtremeScreenshot-02_normal.jpg

I hope that isn't the final version of the playermodels, because it looks to equal.
All the soldiers have the same equipment at there back.
It would be much better if there are some random differences.
And isn't the "bread-bag" i little bit to large? It looks so big.
Oh, and the "gas-mask-tin" would looks better when most of the player doesn't have that bag bound around it.

And will there be optical differences between the weapon classes again?
I mean would a Rifleman get Kar98k Magazine Pouch, the Semi-automatic-Riflemen G43 Magazine Pouch and the Sub-machine gunner MP40 Magazin Pouch and the MG-Gunner only a pouch for MG-Accessory and a Map Case for the Sqaudleader.
At all the Picutres the soldiers wearing only pouches for Kar98k ammunition.

And i have an idea for the MP40
I see at the picture that the shoulder support isn't in use (like in the old RO)
Is it possible to include a ability to switch between non-shoulder-support for fast firing and shoulder-support for better aiming?
For controlling you could use the same button like you push for "changing fire mode"
That would be very cool.

And a question about RO:HoS general

Would the game only play in the year 1942/43 or would it be a game about WW2 at Eastern-Front 41-45 again?
So would we see all infantry weapons of WW2 or only those which was used in Stalingrad like MP40, Kar98, Mosin Nagant and PPSh? And no STV40, G43, StG44 and Panzerfaust?

I hope you could give me some answers for my questions :D

1st: They are in the goddamn Wehrmacht, that means they are wearing uniforms. That means all of their equipment has to be the same. And you're nitpicking about the equipment looking the same, wtf?

2nd: The game is called "Heroes of Stalingrad", not "Heroes of Ostfront".

Think a bit before asking silly questions, and look around the forums too. All that stuff has been discussed to ad nauseum. ;)

Upvote 0
Xendance, I think he means that some soldiers would not have certain items of equipment (lost, left it at camp, etc.), which I think is a valid question to at least ask without getting blasted. And who's to say that the Heroes of Stalingrad won't fight on for a little longer or that the story won't cover some of the actions leading up to Stalingrad?

Upvote 0
Xendance, I think he means that some soldiers would not have certain items of equipment (lost, left it at camp, etc.), which I think is a valid question to at least ask without getting blasted. And who's to say that the Heroes of Stalingrad won't fight on for a little longer or that the story won't cover some of the actions leading up to Stalingrad?

Yes, I realize that. But that would depend completely on the date of the map/scenario.

Upvote 0
1st: They are in the goddamn Wehrmacht, that means they are wearing uniforms. That means all of their equipment has to be the same. And you're nitpicking about the equipment looking the same, wtf?

2nd: The game is called "Heroes of Stalingrad", not "Heroes of Ostfront".

Think a bit before asking silly questions, and look around the forums too. All that stuff has been discussed to ad nauseum. ;)

Hmm, you are not really lovely, Mr. Xendance

I know my english isn't the best, but everytime somebody don't know what i mean... don't know why...

1st DrGruppy know what i mean, so i haven't write it wrong.

But for you again: I mean that not every Soldier have exactly the same equipment.
Do you think the Wehrmacht was full of robots or clones? Everybody looks equal?

A picture out of Stalingrad (for example) they have nearly the same, but not exactly the same equipment and they don't wear it in the same way, you know?

STALINGRAD2.jpg

2nd Of course, the game is called "Heroes of Stalingrad" (You really think i am stupid?) BUT do you want to play multiplayer only with a few weapons which was available in the battle of Stalingrad? That is what i want to know.

3rd I reading in this forum all the time, but i haven't found any answers for my "silly" questions, maybe you could give me some useful answers? Mr. Xendance.

Have a nice day

Last edited:
Upvote 0