• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tripwire talks Stalingrad to Voodoo Extreme

I was there to help TW find their way around many sites in Volgograd - most of which I cannot and will not discuss.

map looks like happy sunshine :p

Vassily Grossman said:
The air was unbearably transparent, the blue sky was unbearably clear, the sun seemed relentlessly bright

Vassily Grossman wrote that in Sept 1942.

For my money, TW have got this sky pretty much exactly right - anyone who wants snow and Mordor landscapes in Stalingrad in summer better go play a less realism-oriented game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was there to help TW find their way around many sites in Volgograd - most of which I cannot and will not discuss.

Well I think locations like the grain silo were a given though, especially as in the igromania article they said they visited that location. There are quite some locations that would probably be needed in a game about stalingrad.

Upvote 0
anyone who wants snow and Mordor landscapes in Stalingrad in summer better go play a less realism-oriented game.

That's assuming RO2 takes place in August - September of 1942. As far as I know, the exact time period has not been announced.

EDIT: sorry Nestor, didn't read the "in summer" part. Forget this entire post.

I'd like to see maps that have snow, rain and grittiness in them (as long as it's historically correct of course). HoS will be about the Battle of Stalingrad after all, one of the biggest battles in human history. I think that good, atmospheric level design goes a long way in portraying the hopelessness of the conflict and the huge sacrifices both sides had to make. Quite a lot of RO maps were dark and gritty, especially mod maps. But Ostfront had Krasnyi Oktyabr for example, a rainy nightmap.

I dunno... maybe I'm wrong. But that's my opinion. Sunny maps are nice. I'm just hoping there will be snowy, darker maps as well. The trainyard map we've seen kinda looks like it's a dusk or dawn map though.

I do agree that time of day and weather of the maps should be dependent on historical accounts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This time really great news. It looks like TWI boys were more carefully what they say,
as last time they were so excited about those relaxed realism
things that half of community get mad, and raised a storm. But now they seems to
accentuate that everything can be turned of, even the clothes.
Which isnt maybe a good thing, because my hero will need a heck of huge
sensored recktangle from crotch to ground.

Anyways, that final countdown gametype, sounds good and graphic details in maps,
weapons and charachter accessories does also.
About helmets im not a sure if they still shine little bit too much, hard to tell.

How ever maps are now quite colorfull, and i understand that they have
wanted to do game look more like FarCry/Crysis and other mainstream
games, but i'm not a sure if its little bit too candy.
Like in this image:
http://ve3d.ign.com/images/64106/PC...-Stalingrad/Screenshots/March-16th-Screenshot
i waited few secs if some Pixar made softy monster will crawl on sight
behind the walls.

Something like more grey like STALKER would go better with a realistic WW2
shooter where landscape needs to be maybe little bit depressed
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/978/978815/stalker-call-of-pripyat-20090501111401153.jpg
http://img.techpowerup.org/091011/ss_pitt_10-04-09_15-21-38_%28pripyat%29.jpg

This time there were no faces on screenshot, so hard to tell if the brows are allready
unconnected, how ever the side profile of the face which can be seen on one screenshot
looks good.

After all really good job. Definitely worth of 10 points and Parrot Badge!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...kaijamerkki.svg/352px-Papukaijamerkki.svg.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
HHmmmmm...

HHmmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [TW]Ramm-Jaeger
I guess they are the second Brits to be in the Elevator in 65 years, since our very own Brit Alan Wilson was inside the elevator in June of 2007 :)

Technically, I was the first Brit in the tunnel under the elevator but Alan was a few seconds ahead of me into the main building.

So that guy was actually the third.

Also Alan was too scared/sensible to go up onto the very rooftop which had no safety rails and was very crumbly - but what an awesome view. :)

I'm getting a little suspicous about just how many westerners have been in the Grain Elevator since the war! I was on the trip with Jason Mark et al when that movie was made, and the manager there swore we were the first in since the war- does make one wonder! But I gotta say, if I would want anyone to have "beat us to the punch" it'd be the TRIPWIRE team! Goddam guys- way to f-in go!! I was really pleased when I first heard about your alls trip to actually SEE FOR YOURSELVES what you were going to map out for us! Give up some props boys- that is REAL dedication to REALISM!!
The screenshots look amazing- I love the long multiple objective idea- this is gonna be real winner, keep up the great work and don't let the whiners and naysayers get you twitterpated- it is going to ROCK!!
Tim W.
AKA Hans Bernhart

Upvote 0
How ever maps are now quite colorfull, and i understand that they have wanted to do game look more like FarCry/Crysis and other mainstream games, but i'm not a sure if its little bit too candy.
Like in this image:
http://ve3d.ign.com/images/64106/PC...-Stalingrad/Screenshots/March-16th-Screenshot
i waited few secs if some Pixar made softy monster will crawl on sight
behind the walls.

Something like more grey like STALKER would go better with a realistic WW2
shooter where landscape needs to be maybe little bit depressed
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/978/978815/stalker-call-of-pripyat-20090501111401153.jpg
http://img.techpowerup.org/091011/ss_pitt_10-04-09_15-21-38_%28pripyat%29.jpg

So you are saying that something that looks less like what the elevator actually looks like in summer would be more realistic? That facts are less important than what you think it should be? And that Stalingrad is not substantially further south, with more of an extreme continental climate than Pripyat?

Interesting post. :rolleyes:

I believe that some of the ruined buildings and the trees around the main area could safely be categorised as WIP's but the main building looks spot on, as well it might.

@timwhistler - Sorry that you had to find out about TW's trip like this. Welcome to the forums, btw. :)

TW may decide to release more details of the trip to Volgograd in the future. Where the team went, how they got there and what happened when they got there make for a mildly diverting story. We shall see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Station is dark and gritty, Elevator is bright and sunny. It just depends on he time of year and time of day the map is set. We also want some contrast, so not all maps will be lit the same.

perfect guys! :cool: can't you really give approssimately a date, a month, a season for release?

PS: What about physics?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So you are saying that something that looks less like what the elevator actually looks like in summer would be more realistic? That facts are less important than what you think it should be? And that Stalingrad is not substantially further south, with more of an extreme continental climate than Pripyat?

Interesting post. :rolleyes:

Well i couldnt resist to reply, at least after that rolling eyes. :D
Anyways i believe it looks more like this:
http://www.fireonthevolga.com/Grain%20Elevator/IMGP5250.JPG
Maybe little bit more bright on really sunnyday. How ever the point is
that sun does turn brightness on the south-east (you know its the place
where your boombox volume controller reach the top)
But it doesnt do that to contrast. The colors are now more like in
HDR-image.

So if you go outside there is bright or dark colors. Not both on the same
time. The range of colors isnt never so wide that there could be dark-green and really bright-green in the same time.

So how takeing HDR images are made by camera is that, you attach it to tripod and take 3 images from actually same position. One is dark, one is normal and the last one is overburned/really bright. No you can make HDR-image based on those 3 images where the landscape got same time dark and bright colors and it looks same as RO2 looks now.
http://www.vahalummukka.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Autot/Kupla.jpg/full

So no, at least i dont got HDR-eyes that i could see world like that.

But like Ramm said...they wanted some contrast. With realism it doesnt got anything to do.

The ground is also totally other thing, as it is much more soft than cement or brick walls and shouldnt thats why shine much at all, if we are not in Sahara. But that comes from engine side i believe as it doesnt understand the difference beetween sand/mud and brick wall.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Picky, picky, picky... we were the first non-Russians into the building since 1942. That will do for me! Well, apart from any German PoWs they used in the rebuilding in 1942-43...

Of course - now everyone has to start guessing about which OTHER locations we got to!

Let me guess

1. Gumrak
  2. Industrial area Possibly Roter Oktober
  3. Square of fallen heroes with Univermag
  4. Mamaev Kurgan
  5. Kalach
Nice news once again.

Upvote 0
I'm getting a little suspicous about just how many westerners have been in the Grain Elevator since the war! I was on the trip with Jason Mark et al when that movie was made, and the manager there swore we were the first in since the war- does make one wonder! But I gotta say, if I would want anyone to have "beat us to the punch" it'd be the TRIPWIRE team! Goddam guys- way to f-in go!! I was really pleased when I first heard about your alls trip to actually SEE FOR YOURSELVES what you were going to map out for us! Give up some props boys- that is REAL dedication to REALISM!!
The screenshots look amazing- I love the long multiple objective idea- this is gonna be real winner, keep up the great work and don't let the whiners and naysayers get you twitterpated- it is going to ROCK!!
Tim W.
AKA Hans Bernhart

Well, go check with Jason about it - I was chatting to him about it before your trip, trying to help him get you guys access to various places. By "Manager", do you mean Tatiana Nikolaevna, the Director of the Elevator? Apparently she made some crack to one of your guys (might have been Jason) about the "cute Brit" - who was actually Ingmar Spit (Sasquatch), who is a Dutchie, not a Brit. But I won't sulk!

We'll throw out some pics from that trip at some point in the not-too-distant future.

And our huge thanks to Tony (Nestor) and his wife (who comes from Volgograd) for doing a huge amount of prep-work for all the meetings we had. And to Tony for rescuing me when dear old Aeroflot screwed up my flight tickets in Moscow!

Upvote 0
I have a funny feeling that Tat'yana Nikolaevna Perevozchikova (great name btw) saw how thrilled we were to get access to the elevator and thought, "Hmmm, maybe we can make a little sideline in arranging trips here."

Judging by how difficult it was to arrange, I would be surprised if they had let anyone except possibly veterans in before us.

BTW - the soil in Volgograd is very sandy and HDR is an attempt to mimic the dynamic range of human eyes. How successfully it does that is open to debate...well not really cos the conclusion is 'not very well' but it's all that there is at the moment with video technology.

Another BTW - the thought of leaving Alan to the tender mercies of Sheremyetovo airport security on his own, while amusing, was not one I seriously entertained. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0