• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tripwire, take a clear direction

Darrosquall

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2009
I spent more 100 hours in this game without any significant issue. Now I'm reading about this lag compensation, Tripwire is thinking about give a server option... This will be horrible, I explain why. I am an italian player and there are a lot of servers in europe, france, russian, even in Italy. I never had lag problem, so I think it is more a problem for people who live in US or other continents. When someone run over the map, a good rule is to shoot near the enemy, just like you calculate the time bullet arrive to your target.

I read people that love this mod because they can play the game with a 350-400 ping!And this is a good thing?Jesus, not.

Another thing, I hope Tripwire read this post: you demonstrate that a lot of rant from community was just immotivate runt, like the movement speed.

In my friend list, there a lot of people that has played SIGNIFICANT MORE to Red Orchestra2 than Ostfront. But this is the same people that love to rant about Red Orchestra2. When this people played Darkest Hour or Ostfront, it is for 30 minute, then they return di RO2.

Movement speed is ok, Ro Classic?Just make bendage more longer than it is now, eliminate unlocks and the percentage improvement(you can mantain the visual difference), fix MG Ia in tanks, you win.

It is good that a software house hear ALL people, but you must have a vision. Now the game is playable just for few hours in CET during afternoon and evening, you should deliver one game, not classic, relaxed, realism, custom and so on. Options are great, but if we have a 950-1000 people peak is harmful. You spent a lot of testing during the prerelease, so you know better than us how game work and don't work well.

I read people that love this mod because they can play the game with a 350-400 ping!And this is a good thing?Jesus, not.

Some of us don't even have the luxury of populated servers in our region let alone continent, or even within a couple of hundred kilometers. But thanks for your concern for the rest of the community.

Wally

Reactions: ross
Upvote 0
Some of us don't even have the luxury of populated servers in our region let alone continent, or even within a couple of hundred kilometers. But thanks for your concern for the rest of the community.

Wally

this is my hopinion and this is my concern about the future of the game. The solution is to have more people and more server , this is a "work around" that can ruin the experience for a lot of people.
Software house have chosen client side netcode because a lot of people doesn't even know the difference between this and a normal situation(server side). It is like people that don't see difference betweek 30 frame and 60 frame, or the difference between bluray and dvd.

Upvote 0
This will be horrible, I explain why.

The mutator for client-side hit detection is up and being tested on several servers. Have you actually tried it? Because it seems several people have found the actual demonstration of the system to be rather convincing.

The solution is to have more people and more server , this is a "work around" that can ruin the experience for a lot of people.

You can't just "wish up" more players. The best way of getting more players is to improve things, and that's what this mutator is an attempt to do.

Software house have chosen client side netcode because a lot of people doesn't even know the difference between this and a normal situation(server side).

Unreal and Quake are pretty much the only big-name multiplayer games using a pure server-side model. The vast majority of games (Even many made on those engines!) use client-side hit detection (Or occasionally server-side latency compensation, though the effect as seen from the clients is the same), which would seem to make that the normal situation. It's not because the software developers don't know what the code does, it's because they want to make a game that plays consistently when played on the real internet.

Upvote 0
Hello,
UT2K4 on there was a clearing and mutator Ping played on servers that had this mutator that does not ask specific problem. This is a view of RO2
http://www.mpcforum.com/showthread.php?107735-UScript-Ping-Compensation-UT2k4-Based
Have more servers is not necessarily the most necesary that are online are empty or with bots.Ce'd be better if they were distributed and have a lower average ping. Several team gave up to have a server on windows just read the post section and the application server application server version for linux too early that difficult to RO2.
Once the mod classic exit you will see how many servers will remain with the current settings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes because they can shoot their targets now. You will soon be happy when Russia-from (no offence) players will start to shoot you behind cover and so on.

Seeing as I do not subscribe the the illusion of "dying behind cover," and instead know that it means I was shot when I was out in the open, as should happen, no. I've played many games with client-side hit detection, and not only is it a very insignificant "flaw," it means the game is working properly. I will gladly take that in exchange for the primary activity of a shooting game -- shooting -- working flawlessly.

Plus, if someone comes in with 750ms latency and I'm at my typical 150ms to the closest server, that gives me an extra 6/10 of a second to kill them before they can kill me. The idea that high-latency players are at an advantage is pretty ridiculous.

Have you tried the beta mutator? The player list had people ranging from 60ms up to 700ms. Works fine.

Upvote 0
I tried the mutator last night. I had a ping between 20-40ms, and even at those very low pings there already is a clear difference in terms of hit detection.

I agree. It was amazing with the mod.

Cheating won't be an issue more than it is now - cheaters will cheat as long as it's possible, clientside making it a bit easier isn't gonna change the fact.

Clientside cheats tend to be rather obvious too, if everyone on the opposing team dies as soon as they spawn, someone is cheating.

Upvote 0
I spent more 100 hours in this game without any significant issue. Now I'm reading about this lag compensation, Tripwire is thinking about give a server option... This will be horrible, I explain why. I am an italian player and there are a lot of servers in europe, france, russian, even in Italy. I never had lag problem, so I think it is more a problem for people who live in US or other continents. When someone run over the map, a good rule is to shoot near the enemy, just like you calculate the time bullet arrive to your target.

must be real nice to live in the center of the world. i guess we revolve around you? :confused:
the guy came up with a way to equal the playing field for all of us. we will be able to jump into a game, anywhere in the world and have fun. we no longer will have to look for the nearest populated server (and that is the most often compliained about problem) to play and be able to actually hit someone. please explain the negative to me again cause i don't get why you think it's ok that since you are fcentral that it's ok to let the game die for the rest of the world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Plus, if someone comes in with 750ms latency and I'm at my typical 150ms to the closest server, that gives me an extra 6/10 of a second to kill them before they can kill me. The idea that high-latency players are at an advantage is pretty ridiculous.
beyond ridiculous. goes into tin-foil hat areas.
Have you tried the beta mutator? The player list had people ranging from 60ms up to 700ms. Works fine.
probably not. seems most people saying they hate it, aren't willing to jump into a server with it. those who have (even when they were violently against the idea, have come out loving it.

Upvote 0
Normally I have about a 50-80 ping on the server I play and don't have some of the major problems other people have.When the server gets full I have been known to go up to 150ms for no good reason and the server is like 50 miles from my house.I see these problems when its like that.Also it seems to help with the short range shots not registering as well that many people complain about.

The way I see it its a mod and not all servers will adopt it so people will have a "choice".Not everyone has servers close to them I have a friend in New Zealand that can't even play RO2 NO populated servers where he is at.He cannot play on US servers due to the lag.A mod like this would bring more players together and would help the game in the long run by having a larger player base.

I don't really see whats the fuss is about not every server will use the mod.It certainly want hurt the game to have a few servers that about anyone can play from all around the world.Odds are they will stay full and give other people actually a chance to play the game as it was intended (like my friend).

I tested it on a foreign server and it felt like my local US server in gameplay.
Do we not all want the game to do well and have a larger player base with more server options?

Last edited:
Upvote 0