• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tripwire Q & A - TICR Part 3 Questions (Post your questions here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two gripes I have regarding weapon balance:

1. Some weapons feel like they're falling behind on the perk they're intended for, like the M1911 and Mosin Nagant. Has cross-perking been considered an option as a means for buffing such weapons? Wanna think that a singular 1911 and Nagant could fill a niche in a Commando and Berserker loadout respectively.

2. Katana feels like there's absolutely no reason to use it anymore ever since the price got bumped up to $850 and the weight being on par with the crovel, with no stat changes to make up for these changes. Any plans on revisiting this weapon?

Upvote 0
MOD EDIT: Text was crossed out in this post that is inaccurate and never stated by the person it is attributed to. Any inference from this statement is also wrong.

@Ralex : I would guess it came "naturally" ? Obviously, when the game was still in Early Access, you needed to have good reasons to go back to the game frequently to try out new stuff. Afterwards, the veterans had the return of both Twisted Christmas and Summer Sideshow. Then they brought back Halloween Horrors and ... Spring Cyberpunk?? I guess they kinda boxed themselves into these schedules. For better (it became appointments after a while, you KNEW something was about to drop) or for worse (updates with very little interesting content)

@GearShift : On another topic, Yoshiro said that the sales were "disappointing" and thus "wouldn't allow additional resources for further KF2 updates" but no real figures... apparently Tripwire has been struggling to find a way to properly finance the game's post-launch. They had many thoughts and strategies internally and tried their luck. I still believe that 10 bucks for a single gun is waaay too expensive, but when I asked the question a few months ago, Yoshi answered that "they discussed a lot internally and figured that 5$ wouldn't be enough to make up the costs"... I personally believe that people would certainly be more inclined to buy guns if they actually costed half price. Or if you had bundles. But now, instead of having let's say 1000 players buying a gun at 5$, they maybe have 150 paying the gun at 10$... Oh well.

I often used the example of fighting games : they usually require a lot of animations, some have voice acting (mostly the NRS games) while others only got grunts or screams, they may have customization options (either skins or items) and often have deep movesets that need to be perfectly balanced with the rest of the cast. As such, it's hard to justify Tripwire asking 10 bucks for either a gun or a character (that you can't see, mind you) when most fighting game characters are between 5-8€ max.

Also, let's remember that we now have quite a lot of DLC weapons, so assuming you want them all... You could pay triple the price of the game. But you won't pay for all of them because some are worthless. But it's yet another problem : make a weapon that is too good and people will complain that you're blocking a great gun behind a paywall. Make it too weak and people won't want to pay for it...

@flashn00b : You really think so regarding the 1911? It's one of my go-to gun as a Gunslinger ! I absolutely love it. I used to find it a bit too weak but now I'm definitely hooked to that stylish little beauty. I'll admit I tend to use it one-handed with one or two upgrades. But it can definitely replace the Deagle, if you're up for something different. Can't really say much about the Mosin-Nagant however... I personally believe it's right up the sharp's alley, but it's just too inconsistent to be truly effective. It's a weird middle ground between the versatility and speed of the M14 and the raw power of the Railgun/M99. I do believe you're the one who often defended the right of the zerk to have a ranged option? Anyway that's something I've always been against :p but oh well... I guess at that point, where any perk can deal with pretty much anything (the zerk has the Teslauncher and Frost Fang, the Firebug has any possible weapon that inflicts burns and the Medic is a one-man-army), it wouldn't hurt for the Commando to get a better sidearm and for the Zerk to have a Mosin...

Couldn't agree more about the Katana however. How the mighty has fallen... I used to love it dearly in KF1. I often used it even as a medic, prior to the inclusion of better weaponry like the M7A3 and Schneidzekk. Even when the arsenal of the perk got tremendously more expensive, it was still my go-to weapon (along with the Dwarfs!? axe). You were lighting fast, you could stun easily, you dealt quite a lot of damage... What's not to like? Having it so weak in KF2 hurts my soul. But it should have been expected seeing how it started of as an off-perk weapon...

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Can't really say much about the Mosin-Nagant however... I personally believe it's right up the sharp's alley, but it's just too inconsistent to be truly effective. It's a weird middle ground between the versatility and speed of the M14 and the raw power of the Railgun/M99. I do believe you're the one who often defended the right of the zerk to have a ranged option? Anyway that's something I've always been against :p but oh well... I guess at that point, where any perk can deal with pretty much anything (the zerk has the Teslauncher and Frost Fang, the Firebug has any possible weapon that inflicts burns and the Medic is a one-man-army), it wouldn't hurt for the Commando to get a better sidearm and for the Zerk to have a Mosin...
Mosin Nagant is in a pretty crappy position. Given its pricing, weight and damage, it doesn't have the rate of fire of the centerfire or the raw damage of the Crossbow to enable its usage as a stopgap towards the FN FAL or Railgun. Also, doesn't it have some kind of gimmick attached to it where it does increased damage shortly after a bayonet stab? I reckon the Berserker would be able to utilize said gimmick to a much greater efficiency. Also, cross-perking would let it benefit from Smash, Skirmisher and Vampire while also being a decent counter to husks, bloats and gorefiends.

Main reason I argue for 1911 on Commando is to give the guy a decent early game medium zed killer that can benefit from High Capacity Magazines and Hollow Point Rounds (if the Singular 1911 was indeed a commando weapon, you'd be looking at a 12 rounds of 77.5 damage). Iunno, I feel like it's hard to justify grabbing the 1911 as Gunslinger when you consider that a T2 Medic Pistol does the trash cleaning thing at a similar capacity (assuming a Lv25 Gunslinger, it does JUST enough damage to decap a gorefast) while the lever action rifles kill mediums with greater efficiency.

I feel like the 1911 and Katana are the best examples of weapons being power crept by newer updates and the Mosin Nagant is just plain ol' bad.

Upvote 0
In KF3 will you guys drop cross-perk weapons because I feel many of them are compromised to fit multiple perks instead of filling a niche within one.

Also, will every perk in the current game receive a Tier 5 weapon, irrespective of other points I think this should be something considered before all is said and done.

On a more positive note, in the next game will we see larger more diverse skill trees allowing for greater customisation and viable combinations?
Will all current game modes be available and fully realised upon launch?
Would you consider flattening the difficulty curve as Hard became easy fast but the jump to Suicidal & HoE was jarring.

I'm sure I could go on and on but I'm generally happy with KF2 and its content (both free and paid) there's just a few things I would like to see more TLC applied.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.