• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Training" ala America's Army for key roles

Bah, you people are crazy. I'm really looking forward to a 4 hour long MP campaign with a retarded SL calling arty in some corner of the map or not at all and not realizing he has smoke grenades... snipers not targeting MGers as priority or just not being able to shoot worth a %$%@ and tankers rushing forward without infantry support.

GREAT FUN!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dunno if this was said already but..

I think that training for special roles is a good idea BUT:

Certain maps would allow anyone to take any position and certain maps would DEMAND certain training to get to play, for example, as a pioneer. If it is crucial for the team that the pioneer knows what he is doing in that map, then you would need the training. If it was (like in Arad) more like a phun thing to spawn with satchels, then it really doesn't matter.

Upvote 0
They should have different levels of training for different classes.

Riflemen and assult class should get a very easy simply obvious 2 minute training just on how to do simple obvious basic stuff, just on how to shoot and movements and different abilities (Like firing mode or bayonet)

MG gunners, anti tank, and sappers should get a more medium level training that would teach them the nuances of their classes, so only semi competent people could be those classes.

Snipers and tank crewmen should get a more advanced and difficult training, with more detailed tactics ETC, these classes are very complicated, snipers are not simply soldiers with a better rifle, tankers aren't like something out of BF.

Finally the squad leader and tank commander should be the most difficult training in the game, commanding men in battle is very complex and only the most adept players with an understanding of tactics should be allowed to be these classes.

Upvote 0
Riflemen and SMG gunner should have OPTIONAL training, but MG snipers, snipers, tankers, engineers, squad leaders, commanders and AT gunner should have a MANDATORY training, because failing at one of these special roles could endanger the entire team. Just go play Leningrad with two newbies as combat engineers in the german team and see if the axis will win. Leningrad with crappy engineers is a total fail for the germans, regardless of the rest of the quality of the rest of the team.

Reactions: Nimsky
Upvote 0
Riflemen and SMG gunner should have OPTIONAL training, but MG snipers, snipers, tankers, engineers, squad leaders, commanders and AT gunner should have a MANDATORY training, because failing at one of these special roles could endanger the entire team. Just go play Leningrad with two newbies as combat engineers in the german team and see if the axis will win. Leningrad with crappy engineers is a total fail for the germans, regardless of the rest of the quality of the rest of the team.

I agree with this, more complicated roles should atleast require some basic training.

Upvote 0
Well then, with that reasoning, maybe it shouldn't be mandatory. If no one will do it, it's probably because no one wants to do it. :eek: TW can't expand its playerbase by putting more obstacles in front of them.

Again, if mandatory, it may discourage people from buying it.

It's not an obstable. If anything, it gets rid of obstacles. Not knowing how to call in artillery is a big obstacle, although it's not exactly rocket science.

Those who are too impatient to sit through a 10 minute tutorial per class (ADD sufferers?) probably won't be interested in playing RO in the first place, because they're already playing twitchy reaction time shooters.

Upvote 0
Bah, you people are crazy. I'm really looking forward to a 4 hour long MP campaign with a retarded SL calling arty in some corner of the map or not at all and not realizing he has smoke grenades... snipers not targeting MGers as priority or just not being able to shoot worth a %$%@ and tankers rushing forward without infantry support.

GREAT FUN!

Ya, you got me, I do resemble your comment. But, even as crazy as I am, I do understand the stress you are talking about and agree that your idea would probably solve the issue for the most part. However, I think that if the training sessions could be under say 30 seconds a pop, then it would not be burdensome to make them mandatory for special classes. Maybe even code them into the game so that once you hit the required rank for the role, you have to see a 15-30 sec vid on what to do before spawning. I think where we are getting crossed is at the length and what type of tutorial. So for the sake of clarification, I think a short vid could be mandatory and livable. If you are talking like a 10-15 minute live fire tutorial, that may be to much for my palette. If so then I fully admit to craziness! ;)

Upvote 0
(Not reading through 2 extra pages.)

I think it sounds good on paper and has good intentions, but it may turn off players or be annoying. For me I'd rather have it not be required but have it contribute to the players level,experience or give an acheivment, thus giving new players a reason to do the extra training.

If training is required to play certain roles, it should be user friendly(Relatively easy, not a time sink) and to the point. AA was interesting, but when I already knew how to play the game and wanted to play online, I had to sit through long training exercises and it became VERY tedious.

Upvote 0
How about giving players who have completed the training/tutorial priority for class selection over those who haven't, regardless of rank? So a lower ranked player who has gone through the SL tutorial (which should be no more than a few minutes) will get first pick of the SL over a higher ranked player who hasn't.

Upvote 0
Again, if it's not mandatory no one will do it.
Give people rolled up sleeves as a perk for completing the training.
Problem solved.

On a more serious note:
How about a mandatory, short (seconds not minutes) instructional set (video or short paragraph) for each class the first time that class is selected. This is followed by one or two questions that must be answered correctly before being allowed to select the class. This requirement can be met at the single or multi-player level. This way at least they have been informed. Its short and should be no problem for the amateur nor an insult to the pro. Game on!

Upvote 0
Training...

Training...

Training would be a waste of time. Maybe, just maybe to familiarize yourself with the game. I would definitely not want the training to be mandatory. But maybe a training for the russian anti tank rifle or something like that. Finding out the good spots to hit the enemy tanks.

Upvote 0
training isn't a waste of time as people do not read the manuals any more. Important classes need to have people do the actions available to said class. There is no need to make trainings with a high skill level that can be hard to do. But a player must demonstrate that he knows the objectives of a certain class and know how to make use of all of the features of a class.

Actual training is loads better than instructional videos, and then you know someone actually was actively busy with the instructions. Rather than a video came on and he just tabbed out of the game.

Reactions: cooperr
Upvote 0
America's army's trainings are far overdone, actually showcasing things that do not matter in game. But then again it is sponsored by the american army.

But for a squad leader, having to call artillery on a target and calling in different kinds before being able to use the class makes sense. And telling someone shortly that you should use the smoke to blind the enemy and not your own team with some examples.

Next to that in a training it should be explained that for instance as a sniper you get the most points by killing enemy snipers mgs and squadleaders. Telling some stuff how to do it. And snipers should know how to change the distance on the scopes how to switch and how to guess the enemy distance.

As a ptrs soldier you should have a training ground where the actual hitboxes of a tank are clearly showcased. Where you need to destroy some tanks within X rounds.

With mg someone should know how to request for ammo, how to change barrel. And be quickly told that due to high recoil its better to fire in bursts. And for instance that the location of the ammo drum on the dp28 displays how much ammo there is left.

Rifleman and SMG you shouldn't be any training needed but there should be a generic basic tutorial for how to capture and stuff.

RO got a lot of functionality in the game and even if things are intuitive if you don't know they exist they can be confusing, good tutorials for basic things are nice. And mandatory tutorials for important classes are nice as well (if you succeed it should be saved in your steam account so you'll never have to do them again).

Upvote 0
For such a technical and realistic game do you guys really not have the patients for a short tutuorial?

5 minute tutorial = thousands of hours of gameplay.

I geuss you guys are so lazy and impulsive that you can't even bother with installing the game.
5 min training would be fine, but a a training like in AA 2.x.x would be silly.

Upvote 0