• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
How do you know that it doesn't have free look perhaps its simply not showcased yet. If you use a mouse and keyboard most of the time you would keep your view locked.

Because it already would have been showcased by now.
And even then, in order to use free view in a believable manner they'd have to include the full 1st person model, not just the gun. Also the lack of correlation between 1st and 3rd person is an indication that there is no free view as well.

Reactions: mamoo
Upvote 0
those things have nothing really to do with each other. A game doesn't have to be arma to have free look.

Essentially all free look is moving your imagery separate from where your gun is aiming. So basically its similar to the free aim system but then going further into extremes.

Oh well, believe what you want, I can guarantee you that free view won't be in. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I'm not saying it will be in, but there is simply nothing that can be said on said matter on it being in or out of the game. With the free aim system the implementation of free look could be added on top of the game even after the release if the devs would want it.

Its not something that is so fundamental that it should be there in the first build to make a chance of getting in.

Upvote 0
Having TrackIR in ROHOS would be amazing though. Especially since i just ordered a TrackIR for ArmA 2 :eek: And i hardly play with vehicles either, i paid 150 bucks just to be able to quickly look into corners while entering houses, and being able to look away from my ironsights when i have them up :p It's justified though because i use freelook ALL the time in ArmA 2, and i cant play without it and it gets mighty annoying to use a button for it all the time :)

Upvote 0
Funny this came up I was just looking into IR again. I do hope that there is free look. Holding a button wouldn't be to bad, just have to justify $150 for not having to hold a button... Guess it is cheaper then eyefinity or nvidia surround. Sic, you'll have to let use know if IR is worth it for infantry.
Personnally, I can't get used to it in a FPS game....I mainly use it for Flight/Raccing Sims where it does come in handy (especially Flight Sims).

Upvote 0
Track IR could be used for other task, other than free-look.
for example you could use it to control the amount you lean and/or the amount you peek around/above cover. determine the heights you are crouching, amount your ducking while sprinting.
or it could be used for tank stuff like: opening the hatch and looking out of the tank by raising your head.

things that dont need a first-person body model.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nobody wants this more than I.

I have my doubts never the less when the cover/wildfire system comes into play.
Do they have to model something special ? After all, the little men are fully clothed and articulated already.
Just throw in an extra camera/view that is linked to TrackIR program and Bob's yer uncle!
Integrating 3rd party program/code into UnrealEd has been mentioned somewhere before.

If its in for RO2, then thats a bonus for me, I reckon I've got my moneys worth just from playing ArmAII, helo's and infantry, a little bit of flight sim and as far as F1 2010 is concerned, I usually end up in the ditch while looking at the world go by...:D

I'm using Seths FPS profile for ArmAII btw. You can get it over at the NP forums.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At the moment I don't see what TrackIR would offer over some additional degree of keyboard or mouse inputting abillity, unless developers have reached a dead end utilizing these peripherals, and another device is the only way.

I use TrackIR for flight sims, but don't want to think I need it for an FPS game too, but I understand others think it should work for all mil games I quess.

With tanks being simulated in a big way in RO2, I think a question which is also relevant would be to know if joystick interfacing is being considered (has this been asked/answered)......but, this just opens up all sorts of possible issues about supporting a myriad of joysticks out there in cyber world, and about adding on more work for TWI that really might not gain much as a result.

Kind of the way I feek about TrackIR implementation for a shooter game, but again, maybe TWI has been considering it because of their new sim-related capabilities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
as awesome as it is...It adds latency issues as everyones heads need to be updated. Unless there was a "Zone" defined...like only see peoples heads turned from 20 meters around you...

Seems like too much work since in a game like this...spatial awareness whilst maintaining looking in one direction isn't such a big deal.

Like in ArmA...keeping formation and flying are an issue. In red orchestra? Formations arn't an issue.

However...the one place where it is and would most commonly used is when you are covering your team mates back and you want to have a quick look around to see if hes still breathing or if he has started to move elsewhere.

But anyway

Upvote 0
There are a lot of situation where TrackIR can be usefull in a FPS :

- when you have deployed your MG, you can look quickly on the right and on the left to see your commrads or if any ennemy is trying to flank you

- when you're in a tank (it's easier for most people to know where you are looking for with a TrackIR than using a keyboard or a mouse)

- when you run in an open area, you can take a look on your flanks and don't loose time with your character especially if we are under a suppressing fire (we aren't crabs and it's hard to run quickly on the left or right like them)

- when you enter in a room, you can aim your weapon where the ennemy is supposed to be but you can look quickly if an ennemy is waiting you in a corner

...and a lot of other situations.

I've tried Insurgency Mod (HL2) with it and it's very usefull but for some reason, when TrackIR is activated, you can't lean (and the shorcut won't run too so it's a big disavantage).

And for people who don't know, there is a cheaper solution than TrackIR and it run very well, with the 6 degrees of freedom like it.
You only need a webcam with 30FPS and tinker a cap with the 3 necessary leds (really easy to make). Just take a look on http://www.free-track.net/http://www.free-track.net/

In conclusion for me, a support for TrackIR or FreeTrack will be a nice feature but not as necessary than for simulators.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
as awesome as it is...It adds latency issues as everyones heads need to be updated. Unless there was a "Zone" defined...like only see peoples heads turned from 20 meters around you...
I don't see how this will ad latency any more then a reload animation? Someones head would just be able to turn.

- when you have deployed your MG, you can look quickly on the right and on the left to see your commrads or if any ennemy is trying to flank you
This is one situation where i would use it the most. I would also think it would be useful in the tanks.

I would be happy if it was like in the arma demo i tried where i can look around with while holding down a key.

Upvote 0
I don't see how this will ad latency any more then a reload animation? Someones head would just be able to turn.

With a reload animation, the reloading client computer just tells the server "player is reloading" and the server tells all the clients "player x is reloading." Essentially one bit of data at a specific time.

Head tracking would require the client to give a continuous feed of x, y, and z (or at least x and y) data to the server for each player during the entire course of gameplay, and relay that data to every other player.

So if you have 64 players all using head tracking (unlikely), you would have 64 players sending continuous head tracking data to the server to redistribute the data for 63 other players to each of the 64 players.

Of course there would be a lot of optimization, such as no need to send the data to players who are out of line of sight, or too far away to notice where they're looking.

This could be further cut down by only modeling head rotation (x axis), and not vertical rotation (y-axis), or only modeling head rotation once the client looks past say 45 degrees (eye movement only with no head rotation), and keeping the head pointed in discreet quadrants (say 12 o'clock, 1:15, 3:00, etc - more than 3:00 would lead to a neck break).

Upvote 0