• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
I had a freetrack I made about a couple of years ago (3point one with cap). Worked like a charm with IL2, but when I upgraded to Windows 7 x64, my old webcam was useless (no drivers for 64 bits, and no hope of getting one, because it's "discontinued" in the manufacturer' site).

It's a really good thingy, considering it's free. Too sad I'm too lazy to go out looking for a webcam that works with windows 7 x64 :p

I'm running Windows 7 x64, and just picked up a cheapy Logitech C250 ($20 at Fry's), and it works like a charm (at least for Face Track NoIR). I don't know (doubt it) if it's running 64-bit native, but it runs fine. I'm pretty sure just about any webcam available in stores today will work with Windows 7 x64.

You'll likely have to put an IR filter over it, or remove the visible light pass / IR filter to get the best results with Free Look, if you had to do it before. Or if you don't mind the extra CPU hit, try out Face Track NoIR, so you don't have to look like a Christmas Borg. If that doesn't work out, you can always convert it for Free Track. I have a thread in the Off Topic Gaming section on it.

Upvote 0
After spending a few hours trying to get my old TrackIR 2 to work in Windows 7 (it's not supported, but there are some work arounds - but it turns out my TrackIR was just plain busted).

Doing a bit of looking around, I found a really neat free head tracking software with no need for a dot, or LEDs or anything. Sort of inspired by the Kinnect.

Face Track Noir
YouTube - FaceTrackNoIR, ArmA 2 and My ugly mug :)

I'm off to get a webcam so I can try this out in Sturmovik.

Dude, thank you so much for bringing this to my attention! Even with my crappy built in webcam this has, after a bit of fiddling, already added so much immersion to arma 2 and practically trebled my chances of a kill in il-2 (still low odds, I will have to admit). Can't believe I haven't heard of/found this before. I'd heard of Freetrack but couldn't be bothered to make a hat!

I always wanted to try Track IR but I'm a debt-ridden student so not really an option. This free software is fantastic.

As far as RO2 is concerned, I see no reason why Track IR and Freetrack shouldn't be supported. Free look is handy when prone, as has been stated, for keeping body movement to a minimum. One of the things the devs have said about this game (for example in this very early video, iirc youtube.com/watch?v=g3NDmOnAOaI&feature=related) is that you can improve functionality and ease just by implementing something you can do in real life. I think this is one of those things, and it will add a lot of immersion too.

Upvote 0
As far as RO2 is concerned, I see no reason why Track IR and Freetrack shouldn't be supported. Free look is handy when prone, as has been stated, for keeping body movement to a minimum. One of the things the devs have said about this game (for example in this very early video, iirc youtube.com/watch?v=g3NDmOnAOaI&feature=related) is that you can improve functionality and ease just by implementing something you can do in real life. I think this is one of those things, and it will add a lot of immersion too.

I agree this would be great in ROHOS, but I think the biggest hurdle would be development time. Typically in an FPS, the 1st person model is highly detailed, so it looks good on screen up close. The problem is, in order to get that amount of fidelity, and save on modeling resources / time, they don't model the entire body, just the arms. I mean, why bother modeling something you don't really see.

In order for free look to work right, they'd have to fully model the body (OK, maybe not the arse end so much). Since we haven't seen the legs / feet in any of the gameplay footage, I don't think TWI decided to go that route.

As neat as this is, a lot of the situational awareness this would provide is solved with the peripheral vision indicators. You could argue it's better, as you don't have to look to see something you should be seeing in your periphery. On the other hand, this would really be handy for looking around without shifting your body or gun, which makes you more obvious.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure I saw legs in the most recent tank footage. But you're completely right, I'm sure it would be a lot of work. Like you say, hopefully the peripheral indicators will help with situational awareness.

Maybe a project for a future update after the release? If they run out of tanks to model (lol) perhaps they could do some legs and torsos...

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure I saw legs in the most recent tank footage.

Good point. I noted that too, and it gave me some hope, but I don't think we've seen legs in any of the infantry aspects yet. I can see why they modeled legs in the tank, as it would look weird if the pedals just moved by themselves, yet the levers had arms and hands moving them.

Upvote 0
Yup, but seeing as HoS doesn't have any free look it's probably not gonna be in.

Thats the lesser of two points. The fact is that they might still be using arm rigs chpped off at the elbows, in which case track ir would show you a bunch of separated arm models.

If there's legs they may just be a separate model.

You could always do "limited" track IR so that you could only move your head so far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can Tripwire please confirm if Track IR will be functional with RO2?

This combined with Teamspeak 3 Arma2TS would be great additions.

Directional voicechat has been ruled out by TWI, same with any form of plugins.

Regarding TrackIR, I highly doubt it, as they'd need to allow the head to move independently from the body, which isn't the case.

Upvote 0