• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
Well Arma might have freelook and some other nice touches but what it most certainly dosnt have is a nice netcode, lagfree and smooth gameplay with an overall solid gaming experience.. something that RO1 and RO2 will / always has delivered.

All kudos to Bohemia but they need to sort their **** out. Coop barly works if your sensitive to warping and other issues like myself and versus is a complete disaster.. the potential is there but they've never managed to fulfill it.
(Bought all their games, equally disappointed every time)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well Arma might have freelook and some other nice touches but what it most certainly dosnt have is a nice netcode, lagfree and smooth gameplay with an overall solid gaming experience.. something that RO1 and RO2 will / always has delivered.

All kudos to Bohemia but they need to sort their **** out. Coop barly works if your sensitive to warping and other issues like myself and versus is a complete disaster.. the potential is there but they've never managed to fulfill it.
(Bought all their games, equally disappointed every time)

( Even though this is not the ARMA thread)

Yes I completely agree with you, there is potential there, and I think the biggest reason for their large following is how open and moddable the game really is. However were a company to make a game that was somewhat RO like on an arma scale with good animations, good netcode, and better armor simulation; arma would be swept off the map over night. Ive said it before and had every arma player I know agree with me, arma is full of 'turds' in so many places, but nothing else even comes close, its a pitty really because the experience could be SO much better.... ( I guess we will have to wait a few years and then perhaps TWI will have the time / energy / manpower / $$ to make a milsim )

Upvote 0
I didn't see link already in the forums, and I'm not pushing ARMA as the greatest thing going, it certainly has it's issues.....

However, this vid is a good example of how freelook is valuable and boosts your immersion in a FPS. This is sort of an ad for TrackIr, but other tracking systems or just a freelook enabled key will give you the same experience.

YouTube - TrackIR5 & ArmA2 Premiere (TrackIR 5)

I'd love to have freelook in HOS!

Upvote 0
TBH even though it seems like a "step back" I would prefer not to have free look in RO2.

It just brings too many new dynamics to the game and puts it on a path that I think wouldn't be healthy overall. If RO was more of a sim like ARMA then yeah I would probably be for it, but at this point it just seems unnecessary.

Sure it would be really realistic and immersive but I just don't think RO is the right kind of game for free look.

Upvote 0
TBH even though it seems like a "step back" I would prefer not to have free look in RO2.

It just brings too many new dynamics to the game and puts it on a path that I think wouldn't be healthy overall. If RO was more of a sim like ARMA then yeah I would probably be for it, but at this point it just seems unnecessary.

Sure it would be really realistic and immersive but I just don't think RO is the right kind of game for free look.

but why, you really haven't listed any reasons.

Freelook adds a ton of both immersion and awareness at the cost of pressing one button.

I don't see how it would somehow make RO too realistic and turn players off to the game.

Upvote 0
Really hate having to rotate my entire body when laying down prone in RO. Just to have a peek at the enemy I have to be conscious of my torso and legs twirling around like a UFO.

It's an archaic FPS flaw that needs to go. I know I've mastered getting around it because I can upload a video getting 40+ kills in the bottom of the valley as a Russian on Tula Outskirts. But the point is that I think control of your body should be intuitive, rather than years of wrestling with a glitch.

Best freelook implementation is mapping it in Arma to mouse 4 or 5, one of the thumb mouse buttons.

Upvote 0
After spending a few hours trying to get my old TrackIR 2 to work in Windows 7 (it's not supported, but there are some work arounds - but it turns out my TrackIR was just plain busted).

Doing a bit of looking around, I found a really neat free head tracking software with no need for a dot, or LEDs or anything. Sort of inspired by the Kinnect.

Face Track Noir
YouTube - FaceTrackNoIR, ArmA 2 and My ugly mug :)

I'm off to get a webcam so I can try this out in Sturmovik.

Reactions: LemoN
Upvote 0
I posted about Face Track NoIR on this thread since it's related. At this point, if we're going to be talking about Face Track NoIR outside the Red Orchestra Heroes context, I suggest posting on the thread I started in the Gaming / Off Topic section:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=726329#post726329

That said, I think the 18 hz is a limit of the webcam. The golden standard seems to be the Sony PS3 Eye running at 120 hz. Of course that means more CPU intensive. People seem to like between 25 and 50 hz.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TrackIr is a very useful little thing, even though not everybody seems to be convinced. So, to clarify a little bit, i'll post this.

As said somewhere above, it comes in handy especially in prone.
Right now you have to turn your entire body to look left or right, and as most of us know, movement is what gets you spotted most of the time. Reducing the amount of movement needed to get a good look around (by adding freelook) you only turn your head around, keeping the rest of your body still, which makes it a lot easier to remain unnoticed.
Considering remaining unnoticed is what helps you survive in RO, this would be a very cool thing to have.

Second, it allows you to keep your weapon pointed in the direction where you expect the enemy to be, while still being able to check the spots the enemy is less likely to be in but which still need to be checked.
This can save precious time in which to react, and thus survive.
You might think of this as an unfair advantage, and i'm inclined to agree to a certain degree yet the difference would only be milliseconds mostly, plus getting used to the trackir takes some time and effort as well and people who arent used to it yet can also be at a bit of a disadvantage during these quick-reaction moments because of that :p

And ofcourse, i'd also say that people who spend the necessary bucks on a trackir are ofcourse entitled to this little advantage.
You're most likely never going to notice it when you're playing against TrackIr users. It's not going to be like TrackIr users will suddenly completely rape everybody else constantly, and the TrackIr costs quite a bit for little advantage in a competitive point of view.
For me, it's mostly about the immersion it delivers, and the fact you dont need to press a button to look around. Other players could still go prone and look around with the press of a button and have the same advantage as the TrackIr users.

And ofcourse, it makes teamwork a lot easier because you are able to quickly determine the location of your teammates and adjust accordingly.
Which, i may add, will already be made easier on relaxed-realism mode by the addition of a minimap and thus also available to people who do not own a TrackIr.

The only thing that keeps me from using it sometimes is that i feel like i strain my neck to remain still and after prolonged use becomes a bit annoying, though i suppose this can be corrected by changing the TrackIr's deadzone.

Upvote 0
I had a freetrack I made about a couple of years ago (3point one with cap). Worked like a charm with IL2, but when I upgraded to Windows 7 x64, my old webcam was useless (no drivers for 64 bits, and no hope of getting one, because it's "discontinued" in the manufacturer' site).

It's a really good thingy, considering it's free. Too sad I'm too lazy to go out looking for a webcam that works with windows 7 x64 :p

Upvote 0