• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
I'm pretty sure the guys at TWI have kept their eye on TIR for quite some time but IIRC the costs associated with implementing it were simply too high given any potential returns. While it would be a cool investment, it would be a bad investment. There are so many features that would add more to the game that would be sacrificed to add TIR support that it just doesnt make sense. Sure in an ideal world where TWI has infinite resources TIR is great, but with limited resources there a TONS of better investments for that time and money that will make HOS play better and be more fun for all players, not just people willing to shell out for TIR (who are a teensy tiny minority).

Upvote 0
Though i haven't used TrackIr or even Freetrack (not so many time to play in last time)...But maybe i will try one this to make..
http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=1856 :D

But i always used (long time ago, when i played it) freelook in B.E. with armour, AA-artillery and AT-artillery (by mouse). Without freelook you will be dead man very quickly, especially with field artillery.

In infantry is a little diffrent question, you need these devices to try it normally.
Though with deployed weapon (mortar, AT-rifle, machine-gun) it was useful even so.

Upvote 0
Though with deployed weapon (mortar, AT-rifle, machine-gun) it was useful even so.

+1

What about tanks? As far as I understood the inside will be fully modelled on a high detail level incl. crew. Without freelook I only can imagine seeing this in default animations (getting in/out etc).
Freelook would be a huge immersion boost as I find sitting fixed behind view slits rather boring

Upvote 0
+1

What about tanks? As far as I understood the inside will be fully modelled on a high detail level incl. crew. Without freelook I only can imagine seeing this in default animations (getting in/out etc).
Freelook would be a huge immersion boost as I find sitting fixed behind view slits rather boring

For tanking, it looks like the mouse does free-look by default, so it's not an issue. The WASD keys are for movement. Check out the Ingro video interview.

Note, there won't be any getting in/out animations, as you live and die in the tank.

Reactions: jalex3
Upvote 0
Just wanted to revive this thread to see if anyone knew anything more in the way of head tracking support in HoS.

I set up my headtracking today, but I didn't use TrackIR. I used a Wiimote, some IR LEDs and a software suite called FreeTrack. In total the entire project cost me less than AU$20, and now I have a great 6-degrees-of-freedom headtracking system. Setting up a 2-degrees system is much simpler (one IR LED plus one AAA battery), but more limited. Anyway, it shows that even if you don't want to spend $120 on TrackIR, there's a cheap and easy way to get headtracking, so you don't need to be at a disadvantage.

Anyway, I'd love to see freelook in HoS, especially now that there are modelled vehicle interiors. FreeTrack or TrackIR interfacing would be good, as would allowing us to bind freelook directions to keys, or hold-down toggles, or joystick axes. All of them would be fine!

Upvote 0
+1 vote for TrackIR support (Implemented similar manner as in Arma)
+mouselook for users without trackIr (as implemented in Arma)
+ server var to disable this feature if desired

+1

Freelook is one of the most immersive things about ARMA IMO and playing a standard FPS with my view locked to the weapon feels like a step back. If HOS implemented freelook, it would just be another way to raise it above the maddening crowd of comic book shooters.

I think a tracking device like TIR, a Freetrack setup or Facetracker is really only a slight advantage over using the keyboard, the keyboard is really only awkward when flying.

Upvote 0
Some great uses for headtracking in ArmA that would make sense in HoS include scanning for enemies while laying down fire, and freelooking while unbuttoned and manning the MG on a vehicle — it would let you identify enemies without having to traverse the turret, which may be slow, and give you better visibility than looking through a gun shield's vision slit.

Upvote 0
I'm curious - how many of you using this are using goggles? I find headtracking of video with a fixed screen just plain weird...you?

Goggles? What, with screens inside them? No one uses that! :p You might be confusing it with 3D Vision glasses, which also uses a flat monitor anyway.

I use a Wiimote on my monitor, and a wearable frame with three infrared LEDs that the Wiimote tracks. I wrote a big How-To article about making it and setting it up, actually. It's over at http://www.desiquintans.com/headtrack

Upvote 0
Goggles? What, with screens inside them? No one uses that! :p You might be confusing it with 3D Vision glasses, which also uses a flat monitor anyway.
I assure you, I am not confusing anything here. I mean exactly that - I use them in flight sims.

Nor do I have any idea what you mean by nvidia 3d glasses '...use a flat monitor...' - I've used these also, and the 'flatness' of a monitor has nothing to do with their operation.

It just seems that using head tracking with a fixed screen feels weird to me, hence my question. So - is anyone using goggles, or do you have to fix / semi-fix your gaze on the screen while moving your head (that's what feels weird to me - proprioception doesn't match the view.) Just curious.

BTW - nice write-up for the DYI interested.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TrackIR style head tracking doesn't use VR goggles. The screen stays fixed in front of you, but the view moves as you move your head around.

In essence, your head acts as a very fancy PoV hat on the joystick. Yes, it's a bit counter-intuitive at first, but it becomes quite natural after about 20 minutes.

I'm use to it in IL-2 and flight sims, but am worried if I try it in ARMA, I'll miss it too much and it'll bug me in ROHOS (assuming ROHOS doesn't sport TrackIR support).

Upvote 0
TrackIR style head tracking doesn't use VR goggles. The screen stays fixed in front of you, but the view moves as you move your head around.

In essence, your head acts as a very fancy PoV hat on the joystick. Yes, it's a bit counter-intuitive at first, but it becomes quite natural after about 20 minutes.

I'm use to it in IL-2 and flight sims, but am worried if I try it in ARMA, I'll miss it too much and it'll bug me in ROHOS (assuming ROHOS doesn't sport TrackIR support).
I got it - I checked out the site to educate myself - I already use goggles and audio with positioning, and did not know much about this device, hence the query.

You can use goggles with it - no need in my case, mine already have the DOF / range I need.

I guess I'm just sensitive to the disconnect of head movement vs scene movement when using tracking with a fixed screen.

Thx for the response.

Upvote 0
The only trouble with TrackIR, is that most games don't use it.

I often find myself turning my head only to realize that the game I'm playing does not use TrackIR. Thats how natural it becomes.

It would be nice if it was implemented in RO2.

Except let's not only have support for just TrackIR. They are trying to monopolise head tracking completely, and it's really uncool. I'd like support for the FreeTrack interface too, or if not, then at least let us bind freelook to a joystick axis or something.

Upvote 0