• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Code Tracked vehicle physics needed

Hello, i actually dont play this game much but i wanted to know a bit more about the "guts" of this game and maybe to improve it. there have been lots of treads about suspension and that sort of thing, but i cant see why there is no suspesion on RO, anyone could explain with details? Also the tanks seem to lack some dynamics, everything has an inercial momentum, so if you start turning, you cant stop just on the spot like it think they do. if having a real suspension cant be done, may just an eye candy suspension?

I also want to know what i need to code for this game and some good tuts on how to change simple thinks and such.

Also if anyone has found a page explaining tracked vehicle physics or so i would appreciate it!

thanks

By suspension, do you mean the roller wheels bobbing up and down in response to the terrain?
Doesn't the HT have suspension on it's tracks?

Either way, I'm sure it can be done. There are tutorials online (check like BeyondUnreal, UDN, UnrealWiki) on how to do suspension for UT2k4 for the 'hows'.. you could then apply that to the tracked vehicles for looks..

Now I'm not too familar with the actual depths of the movement differences.. if I had to take a guess as why it wouldn't work, i'd say because the tracked vehicles still only have 2 'drive' wheels per side much like a car.. so that might inhibit the ability for working suspension.. you could probabably change that by readjusting the setup of the drive wheels so each of the lower 'ground contact' rollers are actually drive wheels.. this would likely require alot of adjustments.

Upvote 0
"Now I'm not too familar with the actual depths of the movement differences.. if I had to take a guess as why it wouldn't work, i'd say because the tracked vehicles still only have 2 'drive' wheels per side much like a car.. so that might inhibit the ability for working suspension.. you could probabably change that by readjusting the setup of the drive wheels so each of the lower 'ground contact' rollers are actually drive wheels.. this would likely require alot of adjustments."

Yes i was thinking in something like that might work, the 6 wheels (or the real wheels) having all drive and could not be steered, but use a "diferential code" or something so you can make wheels on each side have a different speed or drive force, thus creating steering movement. i should also merge it with some input code. Im not talking about limitations, and i dont know them, i dont know real tank physics also jeje.

Ill look into the tuts! So RO doest have sdk its all UT coding?

thanks!

Upvote 0
Tanks actually drive on 6 invisible wheels (front/rear Left/right steering and left/right drive wheels)

the wheels & tracks you see moving on the tank in-game ARE the eyecandy

Yeah.. i was thinking just the drive wheels.. forgot about the steering wheels.. are those powered though? I guess they gotta be.. man it's been a while since I've looked at that stuff...

Upvote 0
other damage

other damage

Interesting stuff guys, Is anyone working on compartmental damage on tanks. I shoot a mk4 in front and the engine starts to smoke? Shoot tracks square on from front/rear and no damage results? The best one is duelling guns passing through tanks as they are touching, effectivly shooting the enemy tank from the inside out. I know nothing, just play alot, please fix. :D

Upvote 0