• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Crash] Total lock-up/freeze upon loading a map

Bluehawk

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2006
Hamilton, ON
I've mentioned it a few times already in various threads of various relevance to my situation, but I figured I'd make a new, dedicated thread and then leave it alone. No use spamming it all over the place.

When I join a server and load the map, I'm only able to operate for a few seconds, sometimes 3 or 4, sometimes half a minute, but in any event it always ends in a complete freeze of my screen and my computer stops responding to all commands, hotkeys, combos etc. I'm forced to hard reboot my system, and Windows doesn't even bother to scan for errors when it happens.

Even when I play in a window with all the graphics down to the minimum, this happens without fail. I just tested it one last time at just past midnight September 1st and I don't have a dump to correspond to it, all I have is a *.log file. Apparently this kind of lock-up prevents the Unreal engine from even generating a *.dmp file in time. The last few lines of that log however, indicate that I deliberately shut down my game, even though I did not. That may be a useful clue for TWI's programmers.... or it may prove useless, I don't know.

Launch-backup-2011.09.01-00.34.03.log said:
[ ... ]
[0200.31] Log: TEXTUREGROUP_Terrain_Weightmap: (MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=4,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
[0202.02] Log: Closing by request
[0202.02] Log: appRequestExit(0)
[0202.14] Exit: Preparing to exit.
[0203.20] Exit: Game engine shut down
[0203.41] Exit: Windows client shut down
[0203.43] Exit: XAudio2 Device shut down.
[0203.57] Exit: Object subsystem successfully closed.
[0203.64] Log: Shutting down FaceFX...
[0203.64] Log: FaceFX shutdown.
[0203.67] DevDataBase: Spent 0.039784 seconds communicating with "Provider=sqloledb;Data Source=production-db;Initial Catalog=EngineTaskPerf;Trusted_Connection=Yes;Connection Timeout=2" or "10.1.20.20"
[0203.67] Exit: Exiting.
[0203.68] Log: Log file closed, 09/01/11 00:33:29

If you need the whole log I can upload that later, but I think that's the key section.

My specs are subpar, but in the small period of time I can see the map running and players running around, I get a decent FPS even on medium settings. The actual graphics rendering seems pretty well optimized. I'm running the game on:
-Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.2Ghz
-2GB of DDR1 ram
-ATI Radeon HD 4650 (AGP)
-Windows XP Pro, SP3

I'm hoping that an upgrade within the season or after the New Year will resolve my problems and/or patches will come out in that same time-frame that will fix this, but at the present moment I'm basically putting RO2 on the back burner. :(

Exactly the same problem here. Tried endlessly yesterday, even with lowest settings - if the game does not crash before map loading has finished, my system will lock completely upon map start or short after. Image freezes, sound freezes, system does not react on anything (not even num lock key toggles the light on the keyboard, which usually is a certain sign of total lockup).

My System is a bit more powerful than the thread starter's, but also not a high end machine at all:

WinXP Pro 32 bit
4 GB DDR2 RAM (3.25 usable because of 32 bit OS)
Intel Q6600 @ 2.4 (stock)
Soundblaster XFi Music
ATI/AMD 4850 w/ 1024MB (PCIE)

Upvote 0
Yes, it does. I even managed to get in a game once - after a few minutes, lock up again.
I ruled out the sound cart as I ran the game wit "-nosound", and also managed to lock up the system...
The video card should be fine, too, never had any problems with it, also currently with other games, no problems at all.
Tonight after work, I will run memtest to check my memory for errors. Somehow, I have the idea that this problem might be memory related. Loading a map chews away on my memory, as I noticed. Maybe RO2 needs more memory than any of my other games and thus uses some faulty area on one of my memory sticks which no other game has ever used before? Impropable, I know, but nevertheless I will try tonight. The one time where I managed to get in a game, I had all graphic options set to low (although I think that my system should be able to use medium settings), by the way. But on other tries with the same settings, my system locked before I got into the game...

Upvote 0
Yes, my firewall is ok. I even managed to join a game ONCE. And then locked up again, a few seconds later.
Sound card is ruled out as a culprit, got the same problem running the game with the -nosound parameter.
Video card is ok to, no problems in any game.
Will test my memory this evening with memtest - I noticed that RO2 uses huge amounts of RAM, maybe more than any other game. And maybe one of my memory blocks is faulty and only used by RO2? Inpropable, I know, but I will not give up so easily on this issue.
Who knows, maybe the current patch even fixed my issue, or one of the next? I will keep trying :)

Upvote 0
Mine isn't either.

[0103.71] ScriptWarning: Accessed None 'RoleInfo'
ROUIWidgetRoleSelection Transient.ROUIScene_UnitSelect_0:UIToggle_SquadViewAllies.ROUIWidgetRoleSelection_1
Function ROGame.ROUIWidgetRoleSelection:UpdateRolesTaken:1443
ROUIWidgetRoleSelection Transient.ROUIScene_UnitSelect_0:UIToggle_SquadViewAllies.ROUIWidgetRoleSelection_1
Function ROGame.ROUIWidgetRoleSelection:UpdateRolesTaken:0D05
[0104.42] ScriptLog: [ContentLoading] Async content loading for AUD_VOX_Chatter_GerEng_01_Cue complete
[0106.31] ScriptLog: GetSelectedRoleInfoClass() SelectedSquadIndex: 0
[0106.32] ScriptLog: [ContentLoading] Async content loading for AUD_VOX_Chatter_GerEng_02_Cue complete
[0106.33] Log: Circular docking relationship detected! Face:UIFACE_Bottom TargetFace:UIFACE_Bottom Widget:ROUIScene_UnitSelect.UIPanel_roleinfocontainer.UILabel_RoleInfoRank.UILabel_SecondaryWeaponLabel Target:ROUIScene_UnitSelect.UIPanel_roleinfocontainer.UILabel_RoleInfoRank.UIImage_SecondaryWeaponDivider
[0106.33] Log: Circular docking relationship detected! Face:UIFACE_Right TargetFace:UIFACE_Right Widget:ROUIScene_UnitSelect.UIPanel_roleinfocontainer.UILabel_RoleInfoRank.UILabel_PrimaryWeaponLabel Target:ROUIScene_UnitSelect.UIPanel_roleinfocontainer.UILabel_RoleInfoRank.UIImage_PrimaryWeaponDivider
[0107.28] ScriptLog: GetSelectedRoleInfoClass() SelectedSquadIndex: 0
[0107.29] Log: Circular docking relationship detected! Face:UIFACE_Bottom TargetFace:UIFACE_Bottom Widget:ROUIScene_UnitSelect.UIPanel_roleinfocontainer.UILabel_RoleInfoRank.UILabel_SecondaryWeaponLabel Target:ROUIScene_UnitSelect.UIPanel_roleinfocontainer.UILabel_RoleInfoRank.UIImage_SecondaryWeaponDivider
[0107.29] Log: Circular docking relationship detected! Face:UIFACE_Right TargetFace:UIFACE_Right Widget:ROUIScene_UnitSelect.UIPanel_roleinfocontainer.UILabel_RoleInfoRank.UILabel_PrimaryWeaponLabel Target:ROUIScene_UnitSelect.UIPanel_roleinfocontainer.UILabel_RoleInfoRank.UIImage_PrimaryWeaponDivider
[0108.12] ScriptLog: [ContentLoading] Async content loading for AUD_VOX_Chatter_GerEng_03_Cue complete
[0108.79] ScriptLog: GetSelectedRoleInfoClass() SelectedSquadIndex: 0
[0109.12] ScriptWarning: Accessed None 'RoleInfo'

Last edited:
Upvote 0
just a quick update:
- got the latest version of the Catalyst drivers
- did the masterserver.vdf replacement as proposed a few times for different problems here on the forums
- downloaded the patch and tried RO2 for the first time today.

And:
- I just joined a TE game on Appartments and played for a few minutes on medium graphic settings without a problem!

Reactions: Bluehawk
Upvote 0
i am having same problem with RO2. getting into game is long, waiting atleast 5 mins, menu will freez for a second, loading evry map atleast 10+/- minutes or eaven more havent exacly watched time. when game starts i only see frozen picture and only hear some sounds in game. cant see any players and no player shooting sound. tryied people in server and no players. i have latest AMD drivers 11.8, latest directx, latest Realtek sound, but my network adapter is not latest, will update.
every details are low, minimum, resolution is 800X700.

WIN 7 Ultimate Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz, 1600 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s) (Hypertraiding)
Motherboard: Abit AA8 DuraMAX 925X
RAM 3.25 GB
AMD HD 4870 1 GB (latest drivers)

my dxdiag information if that helps http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V74UQGK4[url]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V74UQGK4[/URL]

Launch form log folder http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YD9ZO4AD[url]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YD9ZO4AD[/URL]
i have there 10 launch backups dont know if i have topost one there?

i have 3 dump files, took latest http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9S6RH5WI[url]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9S6RH5WI[/URL]

Upvote 0