• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Toshiba scraps HD-DVD, format war is officially over

Well seriously, have you guys seen Blueray next to DVD??? I have and it's really not a big gain at all, in fact if you compare it next to the gain going from VHS to DVD it's tiny.

The only advantage I can see is more storage per disk, image quality alone doesn't rationalise the price (at least here in Australia).

Upvote 0
Well seriously, have you guys seen Blueray next to DVD??? I have and it's really not a big gain at all, in fact if you compare it next to the gain going from VHS to DVD it's tiny.

The only advantage I can see is more storage per disk, image quality alone doesn't rationalise the price (at least here in Australia).

It's not the disc but the bitrate ;p

Upvote 0

I tend to think this about HD too.

Only time you can spot the differens between SD and HD (in my opinion) is on images without a lot of movement. As soon as there is a lot of movement the difference between SD DVD and HD is small.

I know I will get a lecture from people for this post so that's why I will put on my flame retardant suit. :)

Upvote 0
I tend to think this about HD too.

Only time you can spot the differens between SD and HD (in my opinion) is on images without a lot of movement. As soon as there is a lot of movement the difference between SD DVD and HD is small.

I know I will get a lecture from people for this post so that's why I will put on my flame retardant suit. :)

how dare you sa anything against HD you! aarrghhppffht **** ****rhrghhgtt FLAMESansdfu*kasjknFLAMES!****!!!111ELEVEN!

did it work? ^^

ok now seriously, who wants HD, the download takes ages and with almost no exceptions, cinema today sux co*ks, if its not worth downloading, how can it be worth buying? (and that without adding the price of the movies, the player and the HD TV)

Upvote 0
It depends on the source quality.

Its like the difference of playing a game at 1024x768 with high af and aa and 1920x1080 with high af and aa. Not necessarily one looks sharper but if you got a monitor that can handle the difference and you got some shots showing lots of small details (like an overhead city shot or whatever) then you'll see the difference. Although unlike in a game its not important to see details since you don't have to shoot enemies or something :p

Upvote 0
Back in the 70s JVC's VHS triumphed over SONY's BETAMAX now it's SONY's turn to take back the recording media crown. Congrats to SONY for winning this round!!! That means no more fumbling about for which format to go for. I wonder what will replace Blu-Ray in the future ? Normal DVDs should still be compatible just like Video-CD MPEG-1 are to DVD players. It will probably take a few more years till PC games get the Blu-Ray treatment.

Upvote 0