• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

To those that Hate fallen heroes.

cant see how someone would defend this map

I mean, capturing objectives equals getting shot from across the map and staying prone face to snow the whole round. If you win, it doesnt matters, as everyone wont even realize what happened besides the round ending, they were just trying to score a kill.

This map isnt pub friendly in the slightest...

Upvote 0
Well, that's kind of the whole point of this thread.

The map really comes alive when you actually work as a team. With a little coordination, we managed to use smoke, artillery fire, and coordinated rifle fire to suppress the enemy long enough to achieve the objectives. We managed to mop the floor with the server 2-3 times before the Germans actually caught wise and began to fight back.

The next 2-3 games were some of the best I have played in RO. All of us diving for the sewers when the first few artillery strikes hit, charging around and over cover as our mates got cut down by rifle fire, and crawling prone in a staggered line through the low walls to try and stay undetected was absolutely bloody awesome.

Upvote 0
Yeah I like the map as well it takes teamwork and its very fun. But I don't know how many times I've seen everyone spawn as everything else BUT the squad leader and commander.. No one realizes how important the commander and squad leaders are, the commander is great cuz you can have any gun be it a rifle, smg or the semi auto rifle and you can drop artillery and mortars and call in the plane etc. It isn't hard to learn at all either, you just need to know that you can mark where you want artillery with your binoculars and I believe there is a button that does it without them as well but I can't recall at the moment.

Upvote 0
I feel the biggest reason so many people hate the map is because they weren't players of the original RO. I saw a lot of foolish maneuvers by people with specialized roles (MG, sniper, AT, etc.), ranging from being way too far forward to really cover anyone's advance and suddenly requiring their own covering fire to simply never being in the right places.

An machine gunner in world war two was intended for infantry support, not for rushing ahead of your lesser armed comrades. I saw every time today an MGer who had to be the closest person to the enemy, rather than supporting his team mates. Rambo might one-hand an MG, but he never had to fight in the arctic conditions of a Russian winter!

Snipers, also, seemed to be played by people with one of two complexes- stay as far away as possible and try to beat Rob Furlong's record(the scope doesn't zoom in enough for that!), or get up close and personal (the scope doesn't zoom in far enough for them?) and well within the reach and view of all their enemies. There is a huge middle ground offering better cover and plenty of targets.

I guess my complaint is too many people are used to the likes of BF and COD and kind of damn the game for not copying them enough. They treat the roles like its a weapon restriction and nothing more. There is more to a class than just its weapons, there is the purpose of the class to consider. RO:HOS even has little tips in the loading screens explaining this stuff!

I won't complain about something without throwing in a possible solution if one is readily present. Honestly, if people are having a poor experience with the classes vs. the map layouts, I recommend doing a little reading. Start playing the roles as they were intended over 70 years ago, and work as a team and use your head- its called a tactical shooter for a reason...

Upvote 0
The map is fun, and it does require teamwork, but it does have some flaws I'll point out.

1) The Technical School is extremely dark from the Univermag, making it very difficult to counter-snipe without putting yourself in the field of fire, while at the Technical School, the sandbags at the Univermag are very bright. I can pick off German rifleman from the Technical School to the Univermag for the entire round. TWI either need to brighten the Technical School, or darken the Univermag.

2) I personally think that enemy players shouldn't be able to enter the Univermag or the Technical school until it needs to be capped. I think it would influence more capping than trying to play ninja and kill two regular rifleman in a window.

3) I think some of the massive amounts of snow in the courtyard needs to go. There just isn't enough cover and I start to feel bad for the poor bastards who's helmets are just poking above some of the walls.

4) There should be more cover on the road to the left of the Technical School. People there are just pickings for the Germans who haven't gotten caught in the Univermag.

These are just my opinions on some issues with the map.

Upvote 0
meh I give up, apparently this map is alright if your not a "CoD kiddie"

It has nothing to do with being a "CoD Kiddie," you just have to get used to the pacing.

Trust me, I know the sort of culture shock that goes on. I'm coming into RO2 from TF2. Talk about whiplash.

Take the time to learn the maps, figure out the routes you need to take, and be patient. Prone is your best friend, especially when you get close to the center, and always try to keep something solid between you and the enemy spawns. It's a lot slower than, say, apartments, but frankly I think it's the better map.

Upvote 0
Fallen heroes is a great map when you have teams that actually want to fight over the objectives. Watching a perfectly aimed artillery strike take out a handful of enemies and a tank while your team pushes forward is possibly the most amazing feeling you can have in a video game...just wish it happened more often.

Upvote 0
No the map is terrible.

Objectives smack in the middle of an open field surrounded by 10story buildings infested with snipers.

If you do manage to crawl 20min to the objective, you will most likely spend another 20min on your stomach waiting for a teammate to come help capture.

If it's being blocked by the enemy, well good luck flushing them out, because if you so much as expose 2 nano meters of your body the 37 snipers in the building will unleash such a massive volley of fire at your direction that it would put Alexander Suvorov to shame.

This is coming from a long time player of Darkest Hour, where you had to crawl 500m across an open field most of the time. The difference is, one you got to the objective you could stand up or at least crouch without fear of some dickhead 200 miles away shooting you

Upvote 0
I love the map to death in countdown mode, but the objectives being in the middle of an open square seems a little strange to me.

Any sane commander would just flank through the buildings, sure it would be close quarters combat all the way but it's better than getting sniped by a platoon of rifles. Sadly the only buildings you can enter are objectives, the rest are just invisible walled off.

But still with a good team and voice chat this map has the potential to be a real blast.

Upvote 0
No the map is terrible.

Objectives smack in the middle of an open field surrounded by 10story buildings infested with snipers.

If you do manage to crawl 20min to the objective, you will most likely spend another 20min on your stomach waiting for a teammate to come help capture.

If it's being blocked by the enemy, well good luck flushing them out, because if you so much as expose 2 nano meters of your body the 37 snipers in the building will unleash such a massive volley of fire at your direction that it would put Alexander Suvorov to shame.

This is coming from a long time player of Darkest Hour, where you had to crawl 500m across an open field most of the time. The difference is, one you got to the objective you could stand up or at least crouch without fear of some dickhead 200 miles away shooting you

There are tanks on this map and it isnt there just for fighting the enemy tank tbh with you. It is a Combined Arms map for a reason and good infantry + tank teamplay makes all the difference, trust me.

Upvote 0