• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

To punch

Personally i hope there wont be a heavy charging system with melee.

You dont have to charge your strength to put power into something, your full strength is instantly at your disposal in reality. Especially as probably the main forces to drive a bayonet into someones body is your own body weight and the inertia of accelerating that rifle.

Especially pulling your weapon back for a bash should happen nearly in an instant..

If i charge for 15 minutes in reallife i just hit with the same strength as if i hit within a second.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would not mind a punching system. The power would work the same way as a but smack or bayo attack. the longer you hold the button the more powerful. A punch should'nt be able to kill someone but maybe disorient them or knock them down so you can at least run away.

I think a more feesible solution would be to have a combat knife or something to pull when your weapons are gone. or if your bayo wasnt on your weapon when it was dropped you could pull it out to use.

This is how I sorta see it.

Give the characters a knife or something to kill or otherwise attack the enemy.

Sure you can run around with an empty pistol and try slugging people to death with it, but are two clubs with a pistol = kill, anymore realistic?

If knives or shovels are not included then a very simple hand to hand combat system can be put into place.

Switch to your hands and if you can sneak up behind someone or even rush them from the front and use your primary attack you can take a couple of swings.... three will knock them down to the ground which makes them also drop the weapon they currently have in their hands.... but you gotta hit them before they Bayo or shoot you.... each swing stuns their response of attack for about 1 second.

Your sepecial/alternative attack could be something that only works from behind where it's an automatic animation of you breaking the guys neck or some other fatal attack.

There wouldn't be any button mashing to deal with or some power struggle, you just gotta get the first lucky shot in.

And with the normal punch/knock out attack, while the enemy you knocked out is still alive, they'd be stuck on the ground for about 30 seconds, leaving them open to be killed by anybody nearby..... and if you keep punching the guy another 10 times or so when they're on the ground, it will be a kill, or if you pickup their weapon and kill them with it..... maybe give extra points to anybody who takes someone out by hand, and give a point to any team mate who saves one of their own from such a death and they get back into the game.

Just a thought..... I know in Call of Duty, you just push a button and you have a knife slash that seems to be an insta kill.... this would be a bit more detailed and require more skill.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This would be a nice compromise:

If you rifle has a bayonet, but it was not attached and your rifle was shot out of your hands, you can use it as a melee weapon (only time you can use it as a melee weapon).

Not ideal, but I'd rather try stabbing someone with it then trying to pick my weapon and ammo up when he is 3 feet in front of me. Especially if the bayonet is on your person.

But then this would still be an issue for those with SMGs ect.

Just thought I'd throw it out though.

Edit: Thought this was the HoS forum...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In most maps the tankers have ABSOLUTLY NO REASON to run outside the tank (Maybe only if the time is about to run out and you need to get to the capzone quickly or face defeat).
If you start running outside for over 3-4 minutes, not even shooting and just looking for a gun, you are a waste of room and you should let someone who actually uses a tank take your place because the team needs a tank far more then they need a lost dude with pistol running about randomly.

Upvote 0
In most maps the tankers have ABSOLUTLY NO REASON to run outside the tank (Maybe only if the time is about to run out and you need to get to the capzone quickly or face defeat).
If you start running outside for over 3-4 minutes, not even shooting and just looking for a gun, you are a waste of room and you should let someone who actually uses a tank take your place because the team needs a tank far more then they need a lost dude with pistol running about randomly.
"In most maps the tankers have ABSOLUTLY NO REASON to run outside the tank"
Well a good 5 times i've had my tank get fausted from the side while dueling an enemy tank, and had to abandon it. Then the faust soldier would be sitting there waiting for me, and always manage to force me to drop my weapon.
Without that crappy luger, all you can do is try and run back to spawn and find another tank, and pray to god that this guy wont hit you. At least if we could punch, we'd be able to go down fighting.
"a lost dude with pistol running about randomly"
My point is i don't have a pistol. Hence the need to punch the guy who took out my tank.
"you are a waste of room and you should let someone who actually uses a tank take your place"
I love you too, but sadly i have no control over whether the enemy wants to fill my tank with shells. I'd dive under the nearest tank tread if it weren't a waste of team tickets.

Besides this, there's been many times i've had my weapon shot out of my hands, and had to use grenades thrown randomly out of panic to save my life. Be so much easier to just melee the enemy rather than scrambling for my weapon.

Upvote 0
Valid points LSD on the weapons being shot out of hand.... when you have no weapons period (like a tank crewman with just one pistol which got shot out of your hand) you are pretty well screwed in the game.

At least if you can do some kind of attack, even a low damaging one could make a lot of difference, esspecially if the goon who shot your weapon out of your hand has to reload..... you could then at least try and rush him and beat the crap out of them to perhaps get their weapons.

I imagine in the same amount of time you could pick up your weapon again and try and shoot them, but having a couple of options would be nice, since I know if I lose my weapon, my first thought is to either run away or somehow take them out (I usually don't get much time to look down, find where my weapon dropped, run and pick it up, then to aim and shoot.)

That and let's say you're not even a tank crewmember, but a rifleman with just the rifle and two grenades. What do you expect these people to do when they lose their weapon?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"In most maps the tankers have ABSOLUTLY NO REASON to run outside the tank"
Well a good 5 times i've had my tank get fausted from the side while dueling an enemy tank, and had to abandon it. Then the faust soldier would be sitting there waiting for me, and always manage to force me to drop my weapon.
Without that crappy luger, all you can do is try and run back to spawn and find another tank, and pray to god that this guy wont hit you. At least if we could punch, we'd be able to go down fighting.
"a lost dude with pistol running about randomly"
My point is i don't have a pistol. Hence the need to punch the guy who took out my tank.
"you are a waste of room and you should let someone who actually uses a tank take your place"
I love you too, but sadly i have no control over whether the enemy wants to fill my tank with shells. I'd dive under the nearest tank tread if it weren't a waste of team tickets.

Besides this, there's been many times i've had my weapon shot out of my hands, and had to use grenades thrown randomly out of panic to save my life. Be so much easier to just melee the enemy rather than scrambling for my weapon.

Click '~' and then type suicide - puff! you are in spawn in 5 seconds

Upvote 0
a rifleman with just the rifle and two grenades. What do you expect these people to do when they lose their weapon?

Exactly, i was playing this map set with germans defending their trench from advancing ruskies, and i ran into an enemy rifleman at very close range. Since these are bolt action rifles, he took one shot and lucky me, hit my weapon. So i had to chuck 2 grenades at him as he was bolting the gun, then dive for my gun and shoot.
Was exactly like the helmet scene:
YouTube - Saving Private Ryan helmet scene
Click '~' and then type suicide - puff! you are in spawn in 5 seconds

Yea, and using up tickets, while killing your score >_>

Upvote 0
Team victory is far more important then personal score.. so you'll lose 1 point and gain 20 by returning to your tank and massacring enemy infantry.
But if every time my tank was destroyed and i abandoned it i killed myself, i'd kill the team's tickets/reinforcements therefore killing the chances of team victory. Plus having a minus score makes you look like a teamkilling dick...

Upvote 0
But if every time my tank was destroyed and i abandoned it i killed myself, i'd kill the team's tickets/reinforcements therefore killing the chances of team victory. Plus having a minus score makes you look like a teamkilling dick...

In every moment a tanker depletes 1 reinforcement. An infantry man depletes 10.

Upvote 0
Team victory is far more important then personal score.. so you'll lose 1 point and gain 20 by returning to your tank and massacring enemy infantry.

I agree, go down fighting in your tank, you still got the tank's mg, when you die, respawn, go back and get the guy with the faust, that's a better way to help your team, your gonna die sooner or later anyway running about with just a pistol.

Upvote 0
What I would like to see, is when I'm sprinting and collide with my teammate, I don't want to instantly stop. My inertia power should punch teammate.
Would be nice, if body physics would apply on my movements.
If I collide with doorway edge a bit, I should never stop. Since a character is not a solid rock. Not sure if it is possible with UE3.

Last edited:
Upvote 0