• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

To decrease load times, turn off precaching and change game cache size

Lonyo

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
lonyo.co.uk
1) Find your Redorchestra.ini file located in the steam/steamapps/common/redorchestra/system folder (hint it looks like a notpad icon with a cog)
2) Change the cache size to better match your ram size
Listed under [Engine.GameEngine].

256 Megabytes of RAM or less
CacheSizeMegs=32

512 Megabytes of RAM
CacheSizeMegs=64

768 Megabytes of RAM
CacheSizeMegs=128

1 Gigabyte of RAM or more
CacheSizeMegs=256

EDIT BY Zetsumei: NEVER make CacheSizeMegs bigger than 256mb unless you like crashes!

Fix2: Turn of PreCaching
Also in your redorchestra.ini under [ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem]
Change UsePrecache=True to UsePrecache=False
and under [Engine.LevelInfo]
Change bNeverPrecache=false to bNeverPrecache=true
and under [Engine.NullRenderDevice]
Change UsePrecaching=True to UsePrecaching=False
and under [D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
and under [D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]
and under [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
and under [PixoDrv.PixoRenderDevice]

Last edited by a moderator:
I carried out these instructions to the letter, and still find that the map loading times are between 1-2 minutes. I fear my destiny will be to stay as a rifleman :(
If there is anything else i could do to make load times faster, other than turn down my gf, then please let me know.
Thanks

It would be interesting to know what kind of hardware you are using.
In fact RO is one of the games that loads extremely fast for me. It usually takes 10 to 15 seconds max to load the next map.

However, I have steam, and it's relating applications installed on a second partition.
I also have my page file on a small extra partiion on second HDD.

Also make sure you have defragmented your HDD.
Can you post a Hijackthis log? I am really curious why it is taking your PC so long to load the game.

Cheers :)

Upvote 0
It would be interesting to know what kind of hardware you are using.
In fact RO is one of the games that loads extremely fast for me. It usually takes 10 to 15 seconds max to load the next map.

However, I have steam, and it's relating applications installed on a second partition.
I also have my page file on a small extra partiion on second HDD.

Also make sure you have defragmented your HDD.
Can you post a Hijackthis log? I am really curious why it is taking your PC so long to load the game.

Cheers :)

Hi. Thanks for getting back to me on this one.
Now, as i said, i carried out the tweaks to the letter, but still found my average load time for each map to be about 1 minute 30 seconds. This was weird, as my pc specs include 1 gb of ram, 2.4gb processer and a 64mb gfx card. I also have a good deal of space still left on the old hd. With that being the case, i decide to try out changing the cachesize that was suggested for 1gb of ram (256) to the next lowest, 768 mb (which is 128). Just after trying this now, and the map loaded in about 10 seconds. So quick infact, that it scared me a little :D
(EDIT: Ok, it turns out that 10second load must have been a fluke, because i'm back to the long loading screens now.)

As for your request for a 'Hijackthis log', i would do so if i knew how. Also, i have not defragmented my hd for a loooong time, and to be honest, it is well past due. The only thing that was putting me off the idea, was the length of time it takes to defragment. However, i'll heed your advice & i'll leave it on all night tonight, so when i wake up tomorrow, it will be done.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi mate
Try O&O defrag - get the 30 day trial here:

http://www.oo-software.com/en/

Hijackthis is a tool that shows you all processes running in the bg, and other info.

You can then paste the log it creates in the text box on their page and it should tell you what processes which you have running are needed, and which ones aren't.

http://www.hijackthis.de/en

One more thing: What graphics card are you using currently? You mentioned that it only had 64 Megs. This might be one of your bottlenecks.

Really, your hardware specs would help investigation of the issue.
And it is very important that you defrag your HDD at leat once every 14 days if you play games. Better once a week if you have a lot of data swapping like me :)

gl, hf

Upvote 0
Ok, i downloaded hijackthis, and analysied my computer. If you want me to post the log here for you, let me know.
I also downloaded the o&o defrag, and will run it shortly.
My pc specs are:
Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM
NVIDIA Geforce 2 MX 400 64mb gfx card

My graphics are set on high, and the game actually runs fine once the map loads up, no lag. It's just the time it takes for the maps to load. I've set my graphics to normal/medium settings but the game load times remain the same.

Upvote 0
NVIDIA Geforce 2 MX 400 64mb gfx card

Get a new card asap mate! MX400 is completely outdated. That's what is causing you a lot of headaches.

Check the hjt log online, but you can also post it here. But honestly, I am sure it is your graphics card causing all those issues.
Right now your graphics memory chips keep swapping data all the time this will give you a lot of hitches. Reducing texture quality, and other visual enhancement will help getting rid of those "hitches" during gameplay because less data "swapping" has to be done.
But other then that I am sure that defraging your HDD will give you an extra few frames.

I remember having an mx400 during my college time. That's a looong time ago ;)
btw. mx400 are sold for about $5-10 on ebay nowadays.
Try to get something like a 6600GT if you are on a tight budget. They sell for around 50 bucks on ebay, and should give you a huge performance gain over what you are experiencing currently.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1) Find your Redorchestra.ini file located in the steam/steamapps/common/redorchestra/system folder (hint it looks like a notpad icon with a cog)
2) Change the cache size to better match your ram size
Listed under [Engine.GameEngine].

CacheSizeMegs=32

512 Megabytes of RAM
CacheSizeMegs=64

768 Megabytes of RAM
CacheSizeMegs=128

CacheSizeMegs=256

Fix2: Turn of PreCaching
Also in your redorchestra.ini under [ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem]
Change UsePrecache=True to UsePrecache=False
and under [Engine.LevelInfo]
Change bNeverPrecache=false to bNeverPrecache=true
and under [Engine.NullRenderDevice]
and under [D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
and under [D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]
and under [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
and under [PixoDrv.PixoRenderDevice]

What is cache size? Is it my video memory or what?

Upvote 0
Code:
CacheSizeMegs=32

512 Megabytes of RAM
CacheSizeMegs=64

768 Megabytes of RAM
CacheSizeMegs=128

CacheSizeMegs=256

Depending on your amount of System RAM you should set the correct amount of CacheSizeMegs. As illustrated.
No, it has nothing to do with your video memory.

Upvote 0
I'm having extremely long load times also despite using these tweaks.

2.8E
2gb 3200 ram
X800GTO

On all other games its not too bad, but on RO it takes well over a minute to load a map. I finally get into the game and people have actually started getting kills.

I've defragged the hard drive etc and still slow loading. It's a fresh install of XP also with all the newest drivers.

Upvote 0