• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

To decrease load times, turn off precaching and change game cache size

52Uther

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 14, 2006
Does'nt help me. Load times are about 50 seconds on an AMD 64 3700+ with a gig of ram and an X800XL card :(

^Beldin

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 10, 2006
One extra boost for users with low amount of RAM is to change Windows' virtual memory settings. If possible, change those settings so that your virtual memory will be on different hard drive than your operating system and The Game.

But remember, this helps only if you truly have two or more hard drives in your computer. Just two or more partitions on the same disk won't make a difference.

Friend of mine got his slow computer loading up maps in less than a minute, which is very good when compared to original 4-5 minutes.. :)

MarioBava

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 8, 2006
Can anyone tell us what is precaching, what the reasons to have it on or off, and if there are any pros and cons to each setting? I am wondering if there are any drawbacks at all to turning it off.

Yoshiro

In Soviet Russia, Yoshiro is a cake
Staff member
Oct 10, 2005
Precaching is the loading of resources before the map starts. If you turn it off, it loads resources as it needs them in game which "might" result in a stutter or such during play.

mstm1

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 4, 2006
<Classified>
when increasing the cache, am i limiting the available RAM for other programs to use? Red Orchestra isnt the only game i play see.

Llama

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
Cardiff, UK
Do you want to play more than one game simultaneously or something? When RO is running it uses the memory it requires, then once stopped the memory is freed for whatever else your machine needs it for. So assuming you don't want to be running two games at the same time (why would you want to?) you dont need to worry.

MarioBava

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 8, 2006
Another stupid question:

Now that I know what precaching is, will increasing the cache size with precaching on actually increase map load times?

Harb

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 16, 2006
London
I've always had slow loading. With or without the tweaks.

I have no problems with any other games. It's only with RO that I have trouble and I'm still not sure why. It's not like there is much to load....graphical or size wise.

LagMunky

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 26, 2007
problem

problem

i have a rubbish connection
this would be a life saver 4 me bt when i click on teh engine file i get an error message sayin tht windows needs 2 kno wat file created it to open it so im screwed plz help me and i will create a cult in ur name...:confused:

melipone

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 22, 2006
i have a rubbish connection
this would be a life saver 4 me bt when i click on teh engine file i get an error message sayin tht windows needs 2 kno wat file created it to open it so im screwed plz help me and i will create a cult in ur name...:confused:
You're trying to open the INI file? Just tell it to open with Notepad or Word or any text reading program. Right click it, then click Open With - then find Notepad

Remo

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 21, 2007
I was wondering , are they 2 seperate tweeks?
Because it seems one is saying optimize your cashe , the other to turn off the cashe

Murphy

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
liandri.darkbb.com
One sais you should optimize your Cache size and the other sais you should turn off pre-caching. Pre-caching means, that he loads stuff into the cach before the map even starts, even if he doesn't necessarily need it. For example it loads all the player models although he doesn't need all of them. This is done to reduce framrate hits if such content is used later on the game (e.g. if y player joins who needs that model). Obviously it takes longer to load then, which is why most people turn it off.
Optimizing the cache size is another thing to do, because you still need a cache, even if you don't "pre-cache".

Do both as it is stated in the tweak guide.:)

LandSurveyor

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 22, 2007
Deployment/Map loading

Deployment/Map loading

Are deployment time and map loading time 2 different things? My deployment time is long. Minute or two.

I did get the ! symbol on my XP machine today telling me something about cache. I just resized my cache according to the Windows suggestion? How is this different than the game's cache?

Yoshiro

In Soviet Russia, Yoshiro is a cake
Staff member
Oct 10, 2005
The game will use up a set ammount of memory (that you can specify) to load up resources. Pre caching is the game loading up resources before it changes to a new map (so the resources will already be there when the map loads). Turning it off means those resources will be loaded on the fly after the map loads (so it speeds up load time, but my cause a bit of stuttering once in game and you see an object for the first time as it needs to be loaded into memory)