• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Tips for PTRD

My best tip is, if you're already a good player and want to try PTRD, print the tank charts. Just look at them before the level loads, and memorise the weak points. Repeat while in-game if necessary. After some time you won't need to look, and you'll start to pop those tanks from range.

Upvote 0
The problem with a thread like this (which is very good by the way) is that loads of people are suddenly going to start pinging rifle shots at my Axis tank again.... and they will probably kill me now... :)

I have practiced a fair bit with the PTRD rifle lately, and it is lethal. I can now regularly achieve one hit kills on the Stug, Panzer 3 and Panzer 4. The Panther and Tiger are two hits from the side or rear. I havent tried shooting from the front that much yet to find the weak spots.

I need to start practicing at far longer range to make the rifle worthwhile on any map. The thing I dont like about using the PTRD, is that no matter how satisfying it is to take out tanks with it, I just never feel as involved with the winning of the map.

<RTR>Sgt.Ricky

Upvote 0
6.Be a Decoy!/Pest!
Tank drivers freak for some reason when they see infantry and they want to hose your down with there Machinegun! Don't let the yellow laser beams scare you, the machinegun is actually very inaccurate, and they can't hit a barn with it.

I can hit infantry at 500 meters with tanks turret mg :confused:

Definatly some good tips in here anyway.

Upvote 0
The Dip of the Round over Range

The Dip of the Round over Range

Thank for the tips, because I take this weapon everytime it's available to learn it. I now see that my angle messes me up most of all, but, because I am trying to hit six pixels (give or take), I can't tell how much of a dip the round takes. Any guesses?

Does the round fall at extreme ranges?

I have noticed the sparks or small explosion at times depending on my shot, not sure what that means.

I also have noticed that the round is rather quick. It gets there in a hurry.

Anyways, any help on the effective range would be helpful. Thanks

Upvote 0
I've never noticed any dip really with the PTRD. In fact you even kill infantry with it at long range. One thing i've noticed though is the bullet seems to come from a little further down the sight than it appears to with the bolts

Making your resolution higher might help with long range shots (so you can see the pixels better). I use 1600x1200

Those little sparks mean the shot bounced off - you have to get less of an angle or closer. Only when you see that black cloud has the shot actually penetrated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
People tell me you can kill a Panzer 4 in a single shot with PTRD, this is true, but you have to hit dead on in the right spot. Its hard for me though, especially since that darn turret in the way!

(also, updated my thread)

Hard to kill a pz4? It's painfully easy. In many respects the PTRD is far better than the faust. I've often killed 6+ tanks with a single life as a PTRD guy. Just wait till the tank is at a good angle, and aim for the ammo. Boom.

A well placed PTRD will effectively stop a stug/pz3/pz4 advance in its tracks.

Upvote 0

i don't get it how come you don't reload your rifle,is this some kind of hacks?

EDITED: wow just came back from a server and on it the PTRD doesn't have ammo limit and there are no reloads so basically you can spray it as MG :S The map was Arad SH-4 i believe. people what is going on why do the map makers have the idea that PTRD is like MG.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
M.R.Maiornikov said:
I don't get it how come you don't reload your rifle,is this some kind of hacks?

1. Open that map in single player mode (Its called RO_mormrange)
2. Spawn as PT soldat
3. Bring down the console
4. Type: allammo in the console
5. You get a semi-auto PTRD with 999 rounds of ammo
6. Have fun killing tanks:mad:

M.R.Maiornikov said:
wow just came back from a server and on it the PTRD doesn't have ammo limit and there are no reloads so basically you can spray it as MG :S

Doesn't work for multiplayer unless its a mutator, cheat, or server/map mod.

Upvote 0
1. Open that map in single player mode (Its called RO_mormrange)
2. Spawn as PT soldat
3. Bring down the console
4. Type: allammo in the console
5. You get a semi-auto PTRD with 999 rounds of ammo
6. Have fun killing tanks:mad:

Doesn't work for multiplayer unless its a mutator, cheat, or server/map mod.

well i saw it working with my own eyes as i myself sprayed the german infantry like MG. This sort of things should really stop as they completely ruin the gameplay.:mad:

Upvote 0
6.Be a Decoy!/Pest!
Tank drivers freak for some reason when they see infantry and they want to hose your down with there Machinegun! Don't let the yellow laser beams scare you, the machinegun is actually very inaccurate, and they can't hit a barn with it.

I was a PTRD yesterday on arad and a tank started to shoot a MG at me, I didnt notice that he was shooting at me untill a tracer flied past me. I was thinking that im gona be a dead man but i only saw a few bullets fly 10 meters infront of me, he was basicaly shooting the ground infront of me. But I still ran into a house, just incase. The tank was I think about 500-700 meters away

Another thing that I noticed is normal AP shells dont hurt infantry.

Upvote 0
Yeah they can. On Arad the other day I was trying to hit a german guy with the turret-MG, 600 metres away or thereabouts, and had only 10 rounds left in mag so it was a short spray. It made him stop though and while reloading the MG I just disintegrated him with an AP shell instead. Hit him square in the chest ;-P

Later I was goign to give a Tiger a finishing shot and as I was reloading another tank on my team fired a shell towards it but missed the tank. It did hit something, however, and that was the tank driver exiting the same second the shell flied past... also hitting him square in the chest and vaporizing him. Ugh.

Upvote 0