• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Tie Fighter

I miss it...

I have no idea why all of a sudden I started thinking of this retro 486 gem but, I just feel like playing some tie fighter.

Just wondering, would Xwing vs Tie Fighter still have any existence in multilayer scene ?

I kind of missed out on it back when it came out due to being too young and not having a job to buy the game and own a joystick.

Have anyone played much of it on multilayer ? how was it ?

Great game. Such value--that campaign took ages to complete! Then my joystick broke and I never got a new one...

Hardest level was that TIE Defender asteroid base level. That alone took me months to beat. Still, imagine trying to complete it in an unshielded TIE Interceptor...

...and then there was that funny moment during the Emperor rescue mission when I forgot which assault shuttle had the emperor in it and blew him to bits with a proton torpedo XD

A fantastic simulator, really, with real depth. Hope a remake comes out some day, but given George Lucas's recent revulsion for anything resembling a good idea, it's probably not going to happen.:(

Upvote 0
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Pity it has never been released, would certainly bring me to buy freespace and a new Joystick :S

Last edited:
Upvote 0
X-wing vs Tie-fighter is one of my favorite games of all time, the campaign in that game, for the rebels or empire is, I think, one of the best single player experiences. I still have the original CD, I was able to get it working a while back on Windows XP, now I have Win 7 and haven't tried it, but I am pretty sure I can get it working again.

This the game I am talking about.

Upvote 0
X-wing vs Tie-fighter is one of my favorite games of all time, the campaign in that game, for the rebels or empire is, I think, one of the best single player experiences. I still have the original CD, I was able to get it working a while back on Windows XP, now I have Win 7 and haven't tried it, but I am pretty sure I can get it working again.

This the game I am talking about.

Hmm. X-Wing vs Tie Fighter doesn't have a proper SP, not even with the expansion pack Balance of Power. I think you mix it up with X-Wing: Alliance.

Upvote 0
Hmm. X-Wing vs Tie Fighter doesn't have a proper SP, not even with the expansion pack Balance of Power. I think you mix it up with X-Wing: Alliance.

Ah, yes you're right, got the names mixed up. I love(d) that game, x-wing alliance, I wish single player campaigns were still done on the same level as in that game.

Upvote 0
The Rebel tutorial for X-Wing Alliance was one of the hardest things ever, after having done things for you family you the Rebels who send you on 3 training missions. The last of these was using your Y-Wing to take an a whole convoy which was guarded by fricking gunships, gunships were not a problem if you was in a fast ship but in a Y-Wing it was a nightmare as it was slow and weak...

Although another thing what I did not like was the total plot break down at the end, after your uncle escapes you are then thrust into the battle of Endor with no warning. Its confusing as your on the Millenium Falcon which means your character replaces Lando but at the same time you can can hear a Voice Over trying to sound like Lando, what is going on? Are you Lando or is the slient hero all of a sudden talking? It makes no damn sense and feels rushed...

Upvote 0