• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Throwing Grenades Back?

I disagree,

Grenades are very lethal, and having one fall at your feet especially when the average player does not bother to "cook it" first, would give you "plenty" of time to throw it away... this would also add some incentive to properly cook grenades before throwing them, which would also lessen grenade spamming etc... the ripple effects of this feature would have a significant ,and i believe positive effect.

Upvote 0
I disagree,

Grenades are very lethal, and having one fall at your feet especially when the average player does not bother to "cook it" first, would give you "plenty" of time to throw it away... this would also add some incentive to properly cook grenades before throwing them, which would also lessen grenade spamming etc... the ripple effects of this feature would have a significant ,and i believe positive effect.

You don't even have to argue it that well. Throwing grenades back is realistic. As in, it happened in WW2 skirmishes all the time. I hope it's in.

---

Upvote 0
You've never played RO have you? Every time I get a nade thrown at me it plows up almost immediatly afterwards. Most people do cook grenades, and the only time I don't is when I want to get that second nade out fast.

I'd love to re-enact the medic scene in private ryan but half the time I'd get my face blown off against RO players.

Edit: Not saying I wouldn't like the feature. Im just no going to assume someone didn't hold down the cook button, when distance is determined by holding in the button for the first second or two. Assuming its like RO, you tap the button and you're about to blow up because you tossed a grenade like ten feet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nachoguy5
Upvote 0
I always hated when I'm in prone and a uncooked grenade lands in my face and all I can do is stare at it for 2~3 seconds until it explodes. Sure you can try getting up and running away, but in RO1, the characters take forever to stand up and start running...

It should be in RO2. If not at release, it should be added to the game at a later point. Especially in CQB fights that some Stalingrad gunfights are going to be, it would suck not to be able to throw back a grenade that land under your feet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I always hated when I'm in prone and a uncooked grenade lands in my face and all I can do is stare at it for 2~3 seconds until it explodes. Sure you can try getting up and running away, but in RO1, the characters take forever to stand up and start running...

It's pretty odd how this feature is in COD but not in RO.

---

Upvote 0
I'm in agreeance, I think a gameplay feature like throwing nades back at the enemy is a very big deal, if were going to play a game with special attention given to realistic details then I would think saving your teammates from a thrown nade should definitely be included.

We have a soldier from afganistan right now who just wrote a story about how they won't let him return to combat because he lost an arm picking up a thrown enemy grenade and tossing it back. He saved quite a few of his comrades, and since then has relearned to shoot, reload, do pull ups and push ups, but is being denied because he "reloaded his pistol like a wounded man".

Not that any of that has any real point but it does show that soldiers are trained to dive on enemy nades, and if possible throw them back. It also brings some aspects into the meta game like cooking nades to ensure they can't be thrown back.

Upvote 0

Well that has been addressed in RO2. You can crouch sprint right out of prone instead of having to stand up first.

Reactions: The Algerian
Upvote 0
The only reason you would realistically bother throwing a grenade back is because you are trapped and know it is the only option. Otherwise, you would run or hit the floor. I would NEVER reach over and grab a live grenade unless I had no other options. I would sooner kick it away (if possible), but in most situations, I would gtfo.

Upvote 0
I reckon you never served. The one thing you'll learn about explosives of any kind is "gtfo!"

I have never served, but what I'm saying is true. Throwing grenades back occurred often enough in combat for it to be documented.

The only reason you would realistically bother throwing a grenade back is because you are trapped and know it is the only option. Otherwise, you would run or hit the floor. I would NEVER reach over and grab a live grenade unless I had no other options. I would sooner kick it away (if possible), but in most situations, I would gtfo.
Correct, yet it was often not possible to evacuate a room fast enough, especially if a lot of people (or wounded people, or people engaged in the use of heavy equipment, etc. etc.) were inside. Attempting to throw it back sure beats dying without trying.

---

Last edited:
Reactions: aD.Luoson
Upvote 0
It would be good if we could throw it back, as long as it don't show a icon PRESS G TO THROW GRANADE ! ! !
I want to pick it up then throw it, not like COD WAW:)
Do you guys agree?
Maybe that's what the grenade bind we've seen in the controls is for. Point at the grenade, press and hold the bind to pick it up, look at where you want to throw it and release the bind the throw it.

Upvote 0
If they add grenade throwing back, then they need to make the fuses a little more variable in time, so people cannot cook them off perfectly. Else it would end like in CoD, where the grenades are cooked of perfectly, so they airburst right away and you get no chance of picking them up again.

Making a variable fuse would also be realistic because of the unreliability of the grenades under certain extreme conditions and possible production differences.
I am for throwing them back, but only if fuses have possibly different fuse time lenghts, so cooking them off perfectly is still no option. A +-1 second fuse to the one of RO1 seems reasonable?

Upvote 0
I disagree,

While crouch sprinting out of prone will be a welcome addition to Red Orchestra in HoS, I still think these two gentlemen have a point.

When pinned down by a steady stream of MG fire, I'd really prefer not to leave cover if I can remove the threat of the grenade to myself in a less risky manner. If a grenade lands right in front of my nose as I lie in the safety of an isolated shell hole, reaching forward and tossing it away--not necessarily AT the enemy, just away from ME--would also take far less time than getting up and running. Because it would take a second or so longer to get up and run, which would also expose you to enemy fire, as opposed to tossing the grenade over the rim of the crater, throwing the enemy grenade away presents the less risky option.

Sure, one disadvantage is that people might go running after grenades they would have otherwise left alone in territory or firefight mode, but in countdown mode I'd doubt that people would be so careless. Furthermore, as with anything else in Red Orchestra, new players will learn what circumstances are appropriate for that function.

As long as the defined range for any "grab grenade" action was realistically small, I would welcome this feature with open arms.

As for satchels, this feature would be even more useful. After all, if that Fritz cooked the satchel before tossing it at my comrades in their T34 and I am close enough to lay a hand on it, then I am dead already. But, if the satchel is not cooked, why shouldn't I scoop it from the street and lob it into the nearest hole/crater/sewer/trench?

I would definitely want to see this feature present in Rising Storm, as some Japanese grenades had fuse delays from 7 seconds all the way up to 10. Numerous records of American soldiers tossing live grenades back at the enemy throughout the Pacific Theatre exist in accounts of several battles.

Upvote 0