• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Throwing Grenades Back?

If they add grenade throwing back, then they need to make the fuses a little more variable in time, so people cannot cook them off perfectly.

Like I was saying most people cook their nades even in RO to the point where you do see airbursts. I think the variable fuse thing would be awesome as talking to my great uncle seemed to indicate that they used to pull the pin and throw on old pineapple grenades. Seemed that the last thing they wanted to do was cook a grenade after hearing at basic that some come out of the factories with short fuses as small as 2 seconds.

Hes a real funny guy, doesn't mind talking about the war at all, but hes got Italian shrinkage so hes like 4'10 :D. His stomache has this scarred and steched out washboard look because he fell through the top of a camoflauged mg nest and the germans didn't like that too much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I reckon you never served. The one thing you'll learn about explosives of any kind is "gtfo!"

Eating horses occured often enough during the battle of Stalingrad for it to be documented. Should it be in the game?

Umm...

Tripwire's criteria for adding features into Red Orchestra have always been:

1. Does the feature improve or add a new dimension to gameplay?
2. Is the feature appropriate for the scope of the game?
3. Is the feature realistic and appropriate for the time period?

If the answer is yes to all three questions, they then consider:

4. Is the amount of effort that would need to be exerted to add said feature into the game worth the improvement to gameplay it would bring (and any added revenue)?

In the case of horse-eating, it fails on counts two and four quite readily. :rolleyes:

Picking up enemy grenades? Meets the first three requirements for sure.:)

Just as American tank crewmen mounted sandbags, logs, and track sections on their vehicles as improvised armor contrary to regulations during the Second World War, or as Soviet officers and soldiers destroyed their Party cards and insignia when in danger of capture, or as German soldiers overloaded the last Ju-52s out of Gumrak and Pitomik airfields far beyond official maximum weight and capacity, regulations and training do not seem to count for much when they might obstruct the goal of staying alive.

I freely admit I have no first-hand experience of explosives handling, but what I know suggests strongly that, in the most horrific battle of the most horrific campaign on the most horrific front in the most horrific war, some soldiers might, just might have diverged from what they were taught during what little instruction passed for training in 1942-43 to give themselves that slight edge that often spelt the difference between life and death.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Alvin Fuchs
Upvote 0
Uh, no, because that's not an element of infantry combat?

Throwing a grenade back is not only simple to simulate and have in your game, it is a real (if somewhat desperate) maneuver.

---

I had to re-register just to tell you how giant of a fool you are. Picking up a grenade is HIGHLY UNREALISITC. When Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan are your source of information, you need to stop ****ing posting.

Upvote 0
I have never served, but what I'm saying is true. Throwing grenades back occurred often enough in combat for it to be documented.

---

You didn't serve, yet you are so sure that it happened in WW2. Sigh.

I'm 100% sure that the scenario has happened where grenade is thrown back, but does it need to be implemented in the game? No. because I know for sure that you don't go pick up a grenade ever as a normal human being. You dive, run, gtfo as my astute colleague pointed out.

Point is, the only chaps that were throwing nades back where the same guys jumping on grenades. Heroes or idiots. Isn't the definition of a hero someone who get's other people killed?( shameless firefly reference).

No, I think we can rest assured something irrelevant is not added into the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No disrespect aimed at combat veterans, but seriously.

Grenade. Lands on the edge of your foxhole's parapet. Are you going to stare, no gape at it until it explodes or are you going to bat that thing away and duck?

Real foxholes are made with things called grenade sumps. So instead of trying to pick it up and be a mega hero and chuck it back and get your arm blown off, you duck, or dive to the other side of the trench. If it landed inside you might kick it into the grenade sump if it didn't already roll in.

Upvote 0
You didn't serve, yet you are so sure that it happened in WW2. Sigh.
Pray tell, what did you do during the second world war?

Someone's argument isn't invalidated because they didn't serve and in many cases a civilian who is interested in the subject may be more knowledgeable than someone who served.

BBC News

"Rifleman James McKie was on a tiny rooftop in Sangin. He and two of his platoon could hear the bullets fired by the Taliban below bouncing off the roof

The 29-year-old soldier had just finished firing back when the grenade thrown by the insurgents bounced off his platoon commander and landed just a foot away from him.

The young soldier, originally from New Zealand, made a split-second decision that was to save his life and those of his two comrades on that roof. He picked up the grenade, and threw it back."

Upvote 0
This is still not call of duty.

This is one of the points where you could argue that it is realistic and I would agree on this but it is also a decision of gameplay philosophy and fro mym point of view throwing grenades back makes no real sense in the game. And if you look at the realism aspect. The situation would be like this.

1. You have a weapon in your hands (probably both hands).
2. You dont have a belt around your body holding the weapon.
3. So you have to drop your weapon and throw the grenade back and then pickl it up again.

Does not sound that easy.

Upvote 0
This is still not call of duty.

This is one of the points where you could argue that it is realistic and I would agree on this but it is also a decision of gameplay philosophy and fro mym point of view throwing grenades back makes no real sense in the game. And if you look at the realism aspect. The situation would be like this.

1. You have a weapon in your hands (probably both hands).
2. You dont have a belt around your body holding the weapon.
3. So you have to drop your weapon and throw the grenade back and then pickl it up again.

Does not sound that easy.

You have "TWO HANDS"!!!! Animation: -Holding your gun in one hand- while USING THE OTHER HAND TO SCOOP UP THE ****ING GRENADE AND THROW IT BACK.

Realism > Gameplay

Last edited:
Upvote 0