• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Three questions...

Oleg

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2006
Hi, new poster here (obviously) and I have three, unrelated questions. Yes I have read the FAQs but I didn't find answers to them.

1. Steam. I have two gaming PCs (office and home) and I play on both (plus I have at least two other non gaming PCs :) ). Can this Steam system, that I never used previously, and that I heard only bad things about, handle this situation? Can I install and play RO on both PCs? Most other games - including say COD2 (hehe :D) - handle this with no problems (server verifies your serial number once you connect to MP server, and if your PC1 is turned off you can play from your PC2 no problem). If this does not work, ie if I have to buy two copies, I must say it's pretty much a deal breaker for me personally.

2. On some of the older screenshots there is icon of a soldier in bottom left corner - obviously used to represent health - that I can best describe as "Jesus Christ" :cool: Guy looks as if he's been crucified, or about to be dissected on autopsy table. Please tell me this icon has been done away with in standalone version, cause it looks mega ugly and out of place.

3. Is this game going to be n00b friendly? Let me explain what I mean by that. In most recent FPS games I am pretty bad player. I don't mind realism (otherwise I would not be here) and I don't mind dying a lot. What I mean by n00b friendly is having lots of free servers that don't require passwords and that are not clan owned and clan based, that are simply not too serious, servers that you can just pop in, enter any team, and play - you know, kinda like in COD2 (there I go again :D ). I'd hate to enter a clan only to be the worst playah in the team and weigh everyone down. I prefer to play solo, relaxed, etc. (By "solo" I mean not in a clan, just being a member of whatever team server assigns me to for a given session - you know, kinda like that other game everyone, except me, seems to hate lately :cool: ). Just some relaxed, 15-minute at the time, no clan based, play (with all the realism RO promises to deliver). Possible or not?

Thanks for your support and answers, in advance,

O.

1.Steam used to be awful, really really awful. It's much better now, and is a very powerful method for delivering content.
You can install RO on as many PC's with steam on as you like, provided you log into your steam account on that computer, and you must login to play. You can only be logged in on one computer at a time

2.As always the HUD will most likely be customisable - you can have as much or as little as you like

3.The learning curve for RO used to be very steep, starting new on a server full of experience players took some patience. On both parts (new players...tk'd a bit) I assume for RO:Ost won't be too bad. With regard to servers, almost all the clan owned servers were good for playing on, and most of the community friendly. Most people don't mind just so long as you have good manners, apologise for tk's, don't be rude and abusive etc etc.

And welcome !

Upvote 0
1) You can be logged in on 1 computer at a time. This means that you only need one Steam Account which you can use anywhere as long as its not logged in on another computer.

2) I suspect that some indication of injury is still in the game, no sure about the specifics though. In the MOD you could always turn that off though.

3) I cant say for sure, but I suspect that there will be lots of servers without passwords where new players can pop in. I suspect that there will also be a good ammount of teamwork on pubs with the new VOIP and radio command features :).

Welcome to the forums by the way :D.

Upvote 0
1. Yes, it will work. COD2 is irrevelant because it doesn't have anything to do with steam.

2. I think that icon is still there, and it can be turned off i believe.

3. That is up to the community/server ops. I've always liked the CiA/CoR servers myself, awesome people and good games. I'm sure you can pretty much play anywhere that isn't passworded as long as you don't TK on purpose and spam the chat, there shouldn't be any problems.

Upvote 0
Hi,

1. Yes, the games you purchase on Steam are attached to your account, so all you will need to do is load Steam onto each computer, log in to your account, and then load the games you've purchased onto each machine. Obviously you cant be playing on the same account from two computers at the same time.

2. No idea.

3. I'm sure there will be tons of servers about a month after release. Plenty of publics to practice on.

Welcome :cool:

Upvote 0
on 3.:

Well i'd say with the getting to know the Game, you'd have no problems because the Manual of this Game will be incredible useful. And one can usually apply Real World Logic to how one should behave on the Battlefield to not die.

And yes one can hop in for 15 mins of Action, how the Servers will be set up depends upon the Community, but in the Mod 90% of the Servers were all Time open, and not heavily modified.

EDIT
You can copy the Game files on a CD/DVD and then load them to another Computer, if you don't want to download everything again.

Upvote 0
I think the difference between super-l337 and noob is bigger in RO than any other realistic FPS, frankly. Though, it's very easy to pick up and play and be okay at. Just if someone that's super good shows up they have a big advantage.

Oh, and people who are uber in every other fps might not be in RO, since it's so different. Like if you're good in CS, you're good in DoD and CoD2. THat doens't hold true with RO.

Upvote 0
In the past, the clan servers are the funnest to play on. This is a great community and playing on a clanserver will more than likely get you a great teamwork based game.

A lot of the clans that run servers also run public teamspeak or vent servers. Although RO has VOIP built some prefer 3rd party apps for voice.

All in all, the community is very "newbie" friendly, you should have some great games.

Upvote 0
Since the other seems to be answered

3. Dont lump all clans into the same pot. Your gaming expierience is only as good as the server you play on. The majority of servers with people on them will be clan servers but again you need to find the right clan to fit your style. Some clans out there are Uber tactical and have what some consider very odd rules (referring to some COD clans with that but could happen here) while others are very lax and anything goes. You just need to fund something that fits you. Maybe a server that doesnt allow swearing you has other rules that arent that common. Most clans also dont password there servers and if they do there doing it for a short while for a match or they have a server thats just for scrims and they might also have a non passworded server.

Upvote 0
Servers are only as good as the people who make the rules will allow them to be, and the admins will admin it to be.

I am hoping that this game will become a favorite of my fellow CoFR (Crusty old Fossil Rockers). If it does I can guarantee you that we will have at least one server for it. We strive to create a well mannered, well admined environment for those who play on our servers. Fun is the key factor, moderated by good sportsmanship.

Heck, if my financial situation stabilizes enough (being unemployed sucks) I might even pop for a server myself! And believe me when I say that's not something you'll hear from me very often. In fact, I don't recall ever having said it before...

Upvote 0
malice said:
Since the other seems to be answered

3. Dont lump all clans into the same pot. Your gaming expierience is only as good as the server you play on. The majority of servers with people on them will be clan servers but again you need to find the right clan to fit your style. Some clans out there are Uber tactical and have what some consider very odd rules (referring to some COD clans with that but could happen here) while others are very lax and anything goes. You just need to fund something that fits you

Ummm, I don't want to find a clan that would suit me. Honestly I think I am too bad for any clan. I do not want to feel bad for being the worst player in a *clan* and giving my ultra 1337 clanmates trouble. Now if I could just log in on any random Internet server, get assigned to Team A for this session, then I don't mind being the worst player, because I may never meet those people again, we're just random group of players in a random ad hoc team, and I know I gave my best :D If you get what I am trying to say.

So I'd want to avoid clans if possible, just play relaxed, public server games.

I noticed that more "realistic" the game tries to be (AA, BF2...), there are less free, public easy going servers available. (I used quotation marks for "realistic" because quite frankly I don't think any FPS is truely realistic, and it's certainly debatable when it comes to AA and BF2).

In short I'd want COD2 network server "social" experience (lotsa fast free easygoing servers that you just jump in and go away at will, no obligation to anyone) with RO gameplay (more realism, better game overall - hopefully :cool:). I just hope it will be possible. I'd hate to see RO server community grow into clan based, strict organisation with no place for casual players (AA, BF2...).

Thanks to all for answering other questions. Good to hear Steam works on 2 PCs. I still can't stand "Jesus Christ" guy at the bottom (there is a guy from Rio de Janeiro on this forum - Jesus icon reminds me of his sig picture LOL :D) but hopefully it will be moddable.

Oleg

Upvote 0
Most clan servers will run open servers, you can come and play as you please, all that most of them ask is you play "well" (I dont necessarily mean playing good, I mean being polite, not abusive towards other players etc) and you won't have any problems.

The thing about RO:Ost is that before, almost all of the servers were clanservers, because they were hosted by people who wanted to play the game. They were fairly limited in that respect.
With a retail release you're likely to see considerably more servers from other places, not just clans.

Upvote 0