• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Thoughts on the upcoming PVP modes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shining Wolf

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
I'm actually interested in the straight up PVP mode specifically because you can't shoot other players and it's based on spawning more zeds and stuff. I'm hoping it's actually fleshed out a bit even though... Well, I mean these are going to be kind of throw away modes since everyone who plays this does it for PVE, but I do hope they have a lot of thought put into them.

In the playing as zed modes, if it's wonky to land attacks as Patty or a stalker then I'm afraid that it will suck to play as them with latency and what not. I hope they're not afraid to add mechanics for consistant melee landing for the zeds since, you know, this is a casual, mess around mode. Anyone who has played a zombies vs humans mode knows what I'm talking about with finicky melee and how it along with playing as low health monsters vs gun users can kill these modes.

I am wondering why this is being developed before something like another objective mode, although maybe they want to see how something new like this fares if this was on the back burner for a while or something. What WOULD definitely be popular and get a scene/might actually get some sales is a Halo style infection mode, even though lore reasons, not zombies or virus thing. Whatever. These style modes were dumbly popular for custom games Halo games and would BE EXCELLENT FOR A MODDING AND PC MAP MAKING SCENE.

The Zed vs. PvP stuff sounds like a fun party mini-game thing, I don't expect it will be played very often though. Pop-the-Cyst would probably be a really fun thing to have as a kind of warm up game while players wait for the server to fill with players.

The two team PvP thing actually sounds really interesting to me. I personally enjoy trying to out-do other players on healing, kills, headshots, big zed kills, ect, so this slightly more competitive game mode sounds pretty good.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'd love a straight up PvP mode. I wouldn't expect them to balance the game around it, which is probably why there isn't a PvP mode to begin with. It'd take A LOT of work to balance around PvE and PvP at the same time. Inevitably there'd be a lot of clashes in balancing and people are complaining about PvE balance as it is.

Though I think they could at least do a simple balance, by making players more resistant to certain types of damage. Like everyone having a 50%+ resistance to explosive damage so players aren't one-shotted. Or giving EVERYONE a set resistance against all types of damage, so Medics can heal through it.

I've always loved PvP more in PvE games, so that's something I'd LOVE to see, especially in KF2 with how the different perks interact with one another. Though I wouldn't expect it to be given a lot of attention or to be very balanced at all and understandably so.

Upvote 0
What about instead a team x team high score winner, a dynamic game?

Like :
Every time a team kills a specific ZED, it respawns 2 identical ZEDS to the other team . First team that everyone dies looses lol hahahah

I can even imagine the decisions : kill 20 trash (trash killers) fast or 2 fleshpound (big zed killers)? Would be really insane hahahah

Upvote 0
Tbh i would much rather them focus on proper modes like the Endless Waves mode with a global scoreboard, and a fleshed out co-op Campaign mode.. That's all the game really needs, 3 modes would be plenty.

Why split the game up into a lot of little modes hardly anyone will bother playing? Seems pretty wasteful imo.

Upvote 0
Honestly my excitement goes in descending order from the Boss Rush one, the Super Stalker, Pop the Clot and then the competive PvE.

I like the idea of playing as patty and that just kinda tickles my fancy. Being able to roll though a team while they try to kill you with limited resources seems like fun. Also being able to rain death on people with rockets is just kickass.

The super stalker hits home for me just because i was a big fan of the hidden source. I loved that game to death and honestly i wish i could still get people to play it. It had a really good dynamic between both the iris humans and the hidden where if you stuck together and played smart you would probably win but the moment separated the team falls apart.

Pop the clot seems too much like a party mode to me and is sort of a 5 min silly mode to play and that is about it. I would honestly rather have something like "pop the bloat" where it's actually a bit of a challenge since you can damage yourself or the bloat can fight back.

The Vs PvE mode just seems like there is too much going on while being very ehhhh in concept. I kinda feel like just having two teams on opposite sides of the map throwing zed lure grenades at each other seem kinda boring. I kinda wish you could use the regular grenades to **** with the other team like emp them, throw up gas in their face, disrupt them, etc. Maybe even a remote control FP but overall im just not as interested in this mode.

Either way i kinda wish this was kept as a bit more of a surprise but after thinking about it and knowing it didn't cut into dev time i think some of them can be kinda cool. As mad as i was i had to admit, playing as patty looked ****ing badass.

Upvote 0
What about instead a team x team high score winner, a dynamic game?

Like :
Every time a team kills a specific ZED, it respawns 2 identical ZEDS to the other team . First team that everyone dies looses lol hahahah

That's almost exactly the Challenge mode I made and described in the live stream, and it IS fun.

Its like sanctioned griefing, quite interesting to see QA play it and try as hard as they can to torpedo each other with the dirtiest tricks they can think of.... imagine TRYING to mess someone up by welding the wrong door at the right time :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.