• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Those 12 year old players..

Some players simply won't be satisfied until they have a game that is 100% immersive, complete with a feature for every battlefield condition; others won't be satisfied until RO is 'dumbed down' to where any yayhoo can get to grips with it in five minutes. To me, compared to the other games I've played, RO is the 'thinking man's wargame' while others are simply 'shooters'. Along with that, I find myself gravitating towards the servers populated mainly by older, more mature players- not that I have anything against younger players, of course, but many co-gamers I associate with have either been in the military or have a good working knowledge of military affairs and this alone gives us a common bond that easily makes the leap into game terms.

I think of RO as the same thing: a thinking man's shooter. Well, it's about 40 percent brains and 60 percent gunning, but it's still better than things like CS or NS (which isn't half bad though).

If the players who wanted a simpler RO got their way, we'd have ourselves a DoD/CoD clone. If the players who wanted the total immersion RO got their way, we would have to be stuck in squads, follow exact orders and do them or be banned, and dying would result in no respawn

Quoth FPS Doug: "...but what happens if I get lag out there?! I'm dead! I mean, I even heard there's no respawn points in RL!"

I try to play the game in real-world terms as much as possible; I avoid gaming 'tricks' that are out there 'just because they are available'. Because of this, I hate hearing comments like the last post, in which the author said "If I'm about to stab you, and you shoot me, you're a coward". I would like ONE reference to an account by a real-life combat soldier who decided it was less honorable to shoot a charging enemy and instead chose to fight hand-to-hand. I can pretty much guarantee that Joe Infantry is 100% more likely to gun down Charging Ivan rather than have to cross bayonets or Ka-Bar knives with him. There is nothing cowardly about shooting a charging enemy- if Charging Ivan is stupid enough to expose himself to such counter-fire he deserves everything he gets, and Joe Infantry has nothing to feel bad about. (Read any account of any modern-day battle, and I daresay you'll not find a single reference where Easy Company gets up out of their foxholes to meet a banzai charge in open ground- in EVERY case you'll find that Joe Infantry blazed away at Tokyo Joe with everythig he had until he had no choice BUT to fight hand-to-hand. Close combat is always the last and poorest option; it was in WW2 and still is. So, every time you take that attitude that 'only dishonorable men turn down a bayonet charge' YOU are the one making RO less 'realistic' and more 'gamish'. When the RO community emulates you in this, don't whine about all the nOObs and kiddies- it's YOU that's teaching them wrong. One who has has been in a knife fight or close combat knows it's the last thing you want to do.(Note this section is not directly solely at you, Velcro Warrior, although it does apply in this case; I've found this same 'gamer' attitude in many posts in the RO forum so it's not just you.)

Smarts = better than honour

That's why I always used to blow my opponent's heads off with my rifle in CS knife fights :cool:

Upvote 0
Smarts = better than honour

That's why I always used to blow my opponent's heads off with my rifle in CS knife fights :cool:

I've had the same experience so many times before where someone calls me a coward (or my favorite, a 'pussy' from a former frequenter of these boards who was at last banned) because he tried to charge and bayonet me and I killed him with my carbine or smg instead of agreeing to melee duel with my gun's buttstock against his bayonet. :rolleyes:

To the OP: Yes kids tend to be less mature but I think you'd be surprised how young a lot of good, mature players are. Most don't bother using voice chat because they know people will ignore them or make fun of them because of their voices. I've also played against middle aged guys who were the saddest bunch of whiners I've ever seen. This is coming from a 20 year old guy who was a once bratty 12 year old newb, so you know where I stand. ;)

As for grenades, if you can't stand being killed by them then you can't play a realistic fps. Grenades were simple to make and extremely effective in the close quarters you see in RO.

Upvote 0
I love when people take the time to buy, install and play a game then complain and cry when they are killed by people who don't play by their same self-imposed rules. SMG guy cries "camper" everytime he gets plugged by a sniper. Sniper & MG call smoke grenades "gay" because they impede them. Grenades are labeled dishonorable because they are less risky than bayonettes. The whole point of war is to kill the other guy with minimum risk to yourself and then people complain that others don't want to maximize the risk to themselves. What it boils down to is that whatever you were killed by deserved to kill you otherwise it wouldn't have! Pretty simple. Got killed by a nade? You were in nade range. Got killed by a "camper"? You made a tactical blunder and failed to spot the "camper". All this endless complaining about wrongfully being killed drives me crazy. Develop counter tactics instead of complaints I say.

Upvote 0
I love when people take the time to buy, install and play a game then complain and cry when they are killed by people who don't play by their same self-imposed rules. SMG guy cries "camper" everytime he gets plugged by a sniper. Sniper & MG call smoke grenades "gay" because they impede them. Grenades are labeled dishonorable because they are less risky than bayonettes. The whole point of war is to kill the other guy with minimum risk to yourself and then people complain that others don't want to maximize the risk to themselves. What it boils down to is that whatever you were killed by deserved to kill you otherwise it wouldn't have! Pretty simple. Got killed by a nade? You were in nade range. Got killed by a "camper"? You made a tactical blunder and failed to spot the "camper". All this endless complaining about wrongfully being killed drives me crazy. Develop counter tactics instead of complaints I say.

Unfortunately that information wont fit into their already inflated heads due to the amount of ego stored there.

Upvote 0
i myself have put an extensive ammount of practise into presision throwing grenades, and i know ways to get them extremely long distances, i can air explode them, or make them land at your feet anaywhere within 80 feet easily. HOWEVER i dont use gernades as my main weapon, i save them for machinegunners, and guys who are entrenched. i really despise all those people who walk around and use their grenades FIRST then use their weapon, why? well that stunt would get them killed in a real war, however seeing as greandes are as effective as they are in game, they can be used in that manor. i really find its easy enough to get away from most grenades, unless they are thrown by a fellow nade thrower who knows his buisness and will cook em to just give you enough time to say "shiiit!" before it blows you away..

Upvote 0
i myself have put an extensive ammount of practise into presision throwing grenades, and i know ways to get them extremely long distances, i can air explode them, or make them land at your feet anaywhere within 80 feet easily. HOWEVER i dont use gernades as my main weapon, i save them for machinegunners, and guys who are entrenched. i really despise all those people who walk around and use their grenades FIRST then use their weapon, why? well that stunt would get them killed in a real war, however seeing as greandes are as effective as they are in game, they can be used in that manor. i really find its easy enough to get away from most grenades, unless they are thrown by a fellow nade thrower who knows his buisness and will cook em to just give you enough time to say "shiiit!" before it blows you away..

I agree, most nades are easy to spot, but they are very effective when used properly. Landing a well placed nade can be just as satisfying as a long range shot on a moving target or a well timed bayo stab. I personally prefer the bayo over anything else, and sometimes use bullets last, but it's because it's pretty hard to get close enough to use it without getting killed and it's very satisfying to stab three or four in a row.

BTW if I see someone charging me for a bayo fight, I'll drop my IS and go for it, but that's just me.

Upvote 0
Turkmenbashi said:
If I charge someone with a bayo, I fully expect them to try and shoot me. The fun is in bayoing them despite them trying to shoot you :p

My thoughts exactly.

In fact, I hope for them to shoot - because 9 times out of 10 that guarantees the stab will connect
evilbanana8hx.gif
. The reason I go for a stab before shooting a guy, even when I could easily have shot said guy - is because its a harder thing to do, hence its more satisfying when done. I'd rather get right up in your face and kill you than hide and clip through the edge of a window and snipe you. Thats just the samurai in me.

Upvote 0
LOL
This thread has escalated into some entertaining debate about Randomness :D

People need to cheer up, be optimistic and have faith.

Red Orchestra is pretty perfect as it is in my opinion.
It is pretty much the perfect mix of fun and realism... and the fun is thanks to the perfect touches of realism.

-Asshats
They are in EVERY POSSIBLE MULTIPLAYER GAME
Get over it.

-Newbs
Be nice to them as long as they are polite people trying to learn the game.
Anwser stupid questions even if they are truely stupid... some people are simply lazy and would rather have someone take 2 seconds to type out a fast anwser such as how do I deploy a bayo....
When I started, it took me 2 weeks to figure out the bayo... I was using the M44 because I didnt know how to put it on...

We were all noobs once, some of us did ask stupid questions... its nice to have anwsers.
This is mostly to project the true image of the RO Gamers in my opinion, do it for the Devs.
Be as nice, caring and understanding as possible to truely project the fact that RO Gamers are simply better, caring people.

-Overall
Cheer up, be optimistic, have fun.
If you run into an asshat... Take down his ID, find out the site of the server you are in, contact an admin and it will be dealth with...
If you can't even do that, you have very little right to rant (when you don't do anything to help out in the future)

Have faith in the wonderful devs, they seem to know what they are doing !

:D

I will see you fighting with me in the battlefield...
Or maybe I will see my M44 Bayonet or M38 Buttstalk in you're face :p

Upvote 0
i myself have put an extensive ammount of practise into presision throwing grenades, and i know ways to get them extremely long distances, i can air explode them, or make them land at your feet anaywhere within 80 feet easily. HOWEVER i dont use gernades as my main weapon, i save them for machinegunners, and guys who are entrenched. i really despise all those people who walk around and use their grenades FIRST then use their weapon...

Well, typically I would agree with you. I don't share your accuracy, but if I am moving within a group of 3 other players, I always bring out my nades. why? Those 3 guys should be more than able to kill any single resistance we run into, but if there is an mg or a squad, a nade is better ready to throw than having to be switched to. I have saved many a colleague in this way.

running blindly at the enemy with a nade in hand is always a bad idea though...

...why? well that stunt would get them killed in a real war, however seeing as greandes are as effective as they are in game, they can be used in that manor. i really find its easy enough to get away from most grenades, unless they are thrown by a fellow nade thrower who knows his buisness and will cook em to just give you enough time to say "shiiit!" before it blows you away..

HA, i hate it when you are crawling, then suddenly notice on the ground in front of you a smal, round, dark patch. I usually have time enough for 'uh oh' and BOOM.

EDIT:
to Tairos:
You need to be more forgiving of something you do and others do as a HOBBY. Yes, everyone likes to have a good time, but that is the reason why we should be HELPFUL. (that way we improve the experience for EVERYONE)

Have you ever asked a stupid question? did someone give you a snarky, immature and useless an answer in return? do you think that they did it to purposefully annoy you? If this ever happened, you should understand that this behaviour is unacceptable!

I don't care how smart you think you are, but there will always be something that you don't know, and when you ask a question about it, it will undoubtedly sound stupid to someone. How about we accept this little fact and treat everyone how WE wish to be treated, instead of being unneccesarily harsh? (until shown to be otherwise, everyone deserves a little respect)
/end rant

It costs you nothing to be snarky or helpful, but being snarky is immature and selfish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
crouching, instead of going prone can help with that. Of course, as colt 45 mentioned, if the person throwing it knows what they are doing it won't matter anyway, but the time it takes to stand up can mean your death. Just speaking from personal experience. Prone = limited mobility; limited mobility = death most times.

BTW I'm not saying there aren't time where it's correct to be prone, just that it's not as effective most times.

Permanent Marker: anytime I see you on the opposing side I WILL attempt a bayo first, meet me in the melee. :D

Upvote 0
BTW if I see someone charging me for a bayo fight, I'll drop my IS and go for it, but that's just me.
If someone is charging me with a bayo I'll attempt to shoot him if I have a round chambered; if no round chambered or I miss It's bayo time! But only as a last resort and not the first. If you sneak up on someone of course use bayo (if you have one) but otherwise it's uneccessary risk. Recently on Kaukasus in back route 2 Russians came around that little hill and I hipshot them with my Kar (while dodging their shots) one after the other without missing (2 shots). I could've bayo'd them (which is what they were expecting) but I threw them off by hipshooting instead. It was pretty damn funny.

Upvote 0
In regards to hip shooting with a bolt, more power to ya. It's not an easy thing to get right every time, especially at anything more than a few meters. Most of the time if someone hip shoots me with a bolt, it's obvious that it was just a lucky shot, (coming around a corner, or from a distance of 20+ meters) but i am impressed when someone does it while I am strafing towards them because it's obvious when they meant to do it.

I admit going for the bayo is an unecessary risk, but I think it adds more of a challenge, especially when dodging bullets to do it. I'll never call someone a coward for shooting instead though, because after all, killing me is their objective at the moment, so if I successfully stab them despite the shooting.....woohoo, satisfaction indeed. :D

Upvote 0
Well, the winner is always the one that is left alive... so... I would think in a war, the is no cheep strategy...

But this is a game (a damn good one I might add)

And Bayos or Bash are challenging and EXTREAMLY FUN

Even if I fail, or get killed after I did one stab in the arm...

I know I at least Scared the poor guy as others have scared me before.

Upvote 0
Tairos.
And I'm not saying that RO's goal is simplicity, you misunderstood me.
Neither did I think that you were saying this, nor were my comments related to whether you believe this or not. Reading back to check what I had misunderstood I found that you have actually implied this is your belief, as you were responding to Redstorm's-
There is a reason this game is attracting a lot of new players. It is promoting to a wider market and incorporating more of a 'fun over realism' attitude. This attracts a different kind of gamer
with-
I despise that phrase, "fun over realism". No, it's not "fun" they're after, it's simplicity.

- thus giving the impression that 'they' are in fact the Ro developers

This makes my possible misunderstanding my assumption that 'they' were gamers: and yet your reply seems to confirm that I was correct (you even praise my astuteness), and had no misunderstandings at all. But I am sorry and I appreciate my post may not have been clear.
Regardless, agreeing that you don't believe RO's goal is simplicity, I presume that as you have previously said-
Yeah, that's the POINT. It's NOT a complicated game.
-I am to take it you do believe it's simple by accident.

Anyway, just to recap - You get don't tolerate people who don't play RO the way you think it should, and people who don't like it or prefer other games have a low IQ. Yet because as you say yourself RO is not a complicated game, (which would prevent a simpleton from enjoying it) their IQ is low simply because they don't like what you like.

Please don't praise my astuteness if I am correct here - you opinions are simple.
There's a simple word for such opinions too.

Upvote 0
My Opinion

My Opinion

So, I had to register when I saw this post, I am the forementioned "Surly_Jew."
I am not 12 years old.

I know I'm gong to get flamed for this but here it goes. Yes, I was "**** talking" Elysium. What he and others fail to realise is that "**** talking" is a strategy that I, and others, employ to demoralize the other team. My experience with online games has shown that if you piss the other team off, they tend to not play as well, because they are too buisy arguing to play. People always say "shut up and play" or something to that effect, but generally I have quite a few points, and am obviously "playing the game." (Also, I am trying to quit smoking, so if you encounter me and I tend to be in a SURLY mood, don't be surprised. I feel that my name gives warning of this.)

sur

Upvote 0