• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Those 12 year old players..

ALT+F4 someone said.. I mean.. yes, no one is stupid enough to try it, but it's stupid to say it nonetheless. I told the guy/girl that we weren't a bunch of CS kiddies, and that kind of crap doesn't cut it, but seriously, why don't people find it easier to help rather than hinder?

/end rant

...because they too l33t to help, didn't you know?

Upvote 0
Easy there killer, no need to start an e-go battle with fellow players, it doesn't end well or solve anything.

c'mon, a better experience for who? I love the intensity that nades add to the game. Personally I have gotten a lot better at not only accurately tossing nades, but avoiding them as well, so saying that you are better for whatever reason and then saying that you get killed by nades too much just lacks any justification.

It sounds more like you just aren't paying attention to when a nade is coming at you. The best players will see the nade coming or the recognize a situation when a nade will come and act accordingly. (i am not one of those players by the way, but I am improving, and hopefully, one day I will be :D )

Complaining that the nades are overused is just a way of saying you perhaps need more practice at avoiding them. Oh, and trying to change others actions or how they use their weapons is pointless. Adapting to different tactics is far more effective.

Good post.

I LOVE my nades...
Nothing better then throwing a nade just right on that balcony of the CC in Danzig on the side of the Bar and Blasting 4 camping Germans :D

But I can understand how some people will find nade frustrating...
I die from friendly nades a lot more then ennemy nades...
The ennemy nades I often see coming.

Upvote 0
How do you feel about kids running around and openly admitting they "had to mark a cross hair on my monitor"!?!?! " 'snot realism, no cross hair" Seen a few of these comments since chrimbo, really put me off the game now. If you wanna cross hair play CS.
:D ROFLMAO...I remember players doing that in the mod days before the weapon sway was introduced. Called it the "tape hack"...where you draw a crosshair on a bit of scotch tape and put it on the center of their screen.
Are people still doing that? I can't see it really helping.
Nades? Nades are a must have in any combat situation...I'd have a crate of them strapped all over me if I could.
@topic:
In my experence...age is no indication of maturity. I've run into 40 yr olds that displayed more immature childishness than a spoiled pre-teen. I've observed young players display a degree of self control and good sportmanship that would shame some so-called adults. It's true the majority will display the impatience in the form of outbursts and such. But not all of them...these should be encouraged when encountered. If you show that petulant snots don't get attention...except to get assigned to dig the latrines...they start to envy the young pups that are invited to sit and have a beer with the older dogs.
Gotta do this while they're still young...before they get old and stubborn like me. LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0
leo said:
It is easier to give a helpful answer to someone new in the community than give a stupid, unhelpful answer, and yet I've seen a growing trend of players giving these stupid answers.

I never asked stupid questions when I was new. Why? Because I wasn't too lazy to figure it out for myself before bothering others. Is it really so difficult to go to the configuration menu and check the controls instead of going "HOW DO U ENTER TEH TIGER LOL???"? No, it's not.
I also hate it when complete newbies choose squad leader. It must make them feel really kewl and important, which would be fine if they were actually competent. I don't think it's much to ask that they actually know what they're doing before they take critical roles.
In short, they bring it on themselves.

Upvote 0
How do you feel about kids running around and openly admitting they "had to mark a cross hair on my monitor"!?!?!
I say good luck to them, the weapon doesn't fire at the centre of the screen- it fires more-or-less where it's pointing.

I've seen the fella mentioned by threadstarter around a fair bit, and despite having shall we say a noticeable nick, I have never heard/seen any trouble before.

Disruptive players, or people who use typicaly twatish online gaming language, are often suspected or accused of being of a young age - but I suspect, I'm sorry to say, a fair few of these people may be older than people think.

Upvote 0
The problem with RO is that there is such an air of elitism it must be hard for some people to even walk through the streets of RO without their heads hitting either side of the map border. All the people thinking they're some kind of special super-gamer for playing a 'realism' game and telling all the new people to sod off if they don't like it, those are the childish people.

Just a quick prod back to the real world, RO is not a realism game at all. It's a shooter with a few realistic aspects. There's atleast ten games (even shooters) out there that are infinitely more realistic than RO.

Most old-timers who played 1.0 have now left and went to other games and still we get people who find themselves 'uber-experienced' because they've played since 3.1 or whatever and feel the need to laugh at new people or tell them off or just be plain annoying/rude.

I stopped playing RO a long time ago after having played it since the first beta in 2003 or so, yet sometimes I pass by these forums and just have to reply to some of the threads in here. Get a grip people! If you guys ever want this game to grow, be friendly towards other gamers and lose the elitist attitude. There is a reason this game is attracting a lot of new players. It is promoting to a wider market and incorporating more of a 'fun over realism' attitude. This attracts a different kind of gamer, who will be good players in a year or so. Just give them some time to adapt. Most of you wouldn't be here spouting off if all the veterans from 1.0 or 2.1 would've been telling you off for your (then) stupidity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just a quick prod back to the real world, RO is not a realism game at all. It's a shooter with a few realistic aspects. There's atleast ten games (even shooters) out there that are infinitely more realistic than RO.

Yeah, that's the POINT. It's NOT a complicated game. That's why I have little tolerance for stupid and lazy players.

There is a reason this game is attracting a lot of new players. It is promoting to a wider market and incorporating more of a 'fun over realism' attitude.

Oh, great. I despise that phrase, "fun over realism". No, it's not "fun" they're after, it's simplicity. That may be fun for certain (I'd say most, but then, that'd make me a elitist, so I'll refrain) players, but they're not synonymous. That's simliar to the infamous "streamline" and "accessibility" phrases. Both are are synonymous with dumbing down.
I really hope this series doesn't end up as just another BF clone.

Upvote 0
I never asked stupid questions when I was new. Why? Because I wasn't too lazy to figure it out for myself before bothering others. Is it really so difficult to go to the configuration menu and check the controls instead of going "HOW DO U ENTER TEH TIGER LOL???"? No, it's not.
I also hate it when complete newbies choose squad leader. It must make them feel really kewl and important, which would be fine if they were actually competent. I don't think it's much to ask that they actually know what they're doing before they take critical roles.
In short, they bring it on themselves.
Stop being so angry and angst all your life. Lighten up.

In fact I see a lot of servers that display messages that ask other people to help out the new players like the RTR servers for example. If you think you're too above everyone else to help than don't say anything at all.

Upvote 0
If you guys ever want this game to grow, be friendly towards other gamers...

I totally agree - but sometimes wonder if there's a few people who would like RO to stay quite small and therefore different and misunderstood. a bit like being a goth i imagine.

Yeah, that's the POINT. It's NOT a complicated game. That's why I have little tolerance for stupid and lazy players.

Join a clan. Play in matches. But if you are talking about players in public i think you are demanding something you have no right to ask for- i'm sorry. It may well be frustating if your team don't have the same skill or intensity as you may do, but I just think you have to live with that. It's not worth getting upset about, certainly on pub servers.

There is a reason this game is attracting a lot of new players. It is promoting to a wider market and incorporating more of a 'fun over realism' attitude.

No, it's not "fun" they're after, it's simplicity

I'm not sure I really agree with either of you here.

Redstorm be fair - RO pays regard to realisic touches far more than the majority of shooters, and I don't think it has compromised this too much for the sake of being 'fun'
If the game is attracting a lot of new players it's because it's on steam and has had 2 free trails, received decent reviews or gets recommended, and people like WW2 shooters. Once people break though early difficulties (why the trail perods are great for RO) they realise it is 'fun', with a feeling of getting rewarded for working at it. They then generally stick around.

And Tairos I don't think it's simplicity they're after- it's fun. If fun happens to means simplicity then so be it. Some people wanna come in from work, switch off the brain and kill time running and gunning. But buy suggesting simplicity is the goal you are suggesting such gamers are simple and that's why Redstorm gets this impression-

The problem with RO is that there is such an air of elitism
...etc

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's the POINT. It's NOT a complicated game. That's why I have little tolerance for stupid and lazy players.[...]
Does that mean you tell them to "RTFM" or do you simply ignore their questions?

Acutally I like helping people, because everybody profits, some kind of win win situation. The guy mentioned above will be able to supply people with ammo instead of stabbing them. Other people know that there is a bayonet and that they can't capture points that are greyed out on the map ...

The only time where I find grenades really disturbing is on Odessa if you are on the Russian team and can't move more than 3 metres after you respawn, because your team managed to be pushed back by the Germans. Other than that I find grenades very usefull, beside some people using them "blindly" --> running to the target like on Basovka and throwing the nade to the direction the enemy is coming from, ignoring the possibility that other teammembers are in front of them.

Upvote 0
dogbadger said:
But buy suggesting simplicity is the goal you are suggesting such gamers are simple

Yes, actually, that is exactly what I'm suggesting. How astute.
If they want to come home and "switch off the brain and kill time running and gunning", why can't they play one of the many other shooters out there that cater to that impulse? Why does every game have to be the same?
And I'm not saying that RO's goal is simplicity, you misunderstood me. I'm saying that's the real intent of developers that use that line, that "fun" is just a euphemism for "simplicity" whenever this philosophy is employed.

elysium said:
If you think you're too above everyone else to help than don't say anything at all.

What I say and to whom I say it is decided by me, not the likes of you.

mat69 said:
The guy mentioned above will be able to supply people with ammo instead of stabbing them.

That's not a 'noob mistake', that's someone being an annoying jerk. There's a difference, you know.

Upvote 0
If someone shoots me I'll say "Nice shot". No point of taking it personaly since it is war. But if I bayonet three unlucky people in a row you know a ":D" or a "XD" is about to invade your chat. Seriosly I play RO just to take a break, if you want to let out all your anger play hockey where its acceptable.

I stopped playing RO a long time ago after having played it since the first beta in 2003 or so, yet sometimes I pass by these forums and just have to reply to some of the threads in here. Get a grip people! If you guys ever want this game to grow, be friendly towards other gamers and lose the elitist attitude. There is a reason this game is attracting a lot of new players. It is promoting to a wider market and incorporating more of a 'fun over realism' attitude. This attracts a different kind of gamer, who will be good players in a year or so. Just give them some time to adapt. Most of you wouldn't be here spouting off if all the veterans from 1.0 or 2.1 would've been telling you off for your (then) stupidity.

Red is right, not only that though everyone acts as if playing RO instead of COD or Battlefield makes them that much better. Grow up, there all games and there all fun. RO is a 'diet' realism type of game and takes the best parts of a realistic game to make an overall fun game, because if it did try and be as realistic as possible it wouldn't be fun.

Upvote 0
Two points of commentary:

#1 The Grenade Factor
Obviously, grenades are at best an auxiliary weapon and useful only in certain situations; if one places himself in a grenade-friendly situation, he's got no one to blame when someone else takes him out with said grenade(s).

That being said, however, if you take a step back you realize that throwing grenades at someone's feet *is* a bit 'gamish'- I mean, how many times does that sort of thing happen in Real Life Combat (tm)? Joe Infantry is far more likely to hose down someone with rifle or pistol fire rather than prep and toss a grenade.

#2 The nOOb Factor
We've all had our 'nOOb moment' when we just want to scream and stop playing RO because of the apparent influx of mindless kiddies and such who are either A) whiners who think that even though they really are bad at RO they deserve props because they ruled in [insert game of choice], or B) Teamkillers who, because they can't hack it in the field against the enemy, find it amusing to run around the spawn points gunning down teammates who are too busy trying to play the game to pay much attention to them [hence they think they are being sneaky just because we aren't looking, and obviously shooting a friendly in the back is the mark of a 133t player].

Unfortunately, it all boils down to what sort of RO community we (as players) want to have- on one end of the spectrum we have the teamkilling nOObs and on the other end we have the hard-core 'killing since 1.1' crowd. Somewhere in the middle is where we'll find the happy medium; I tend to think that as it stands now is probably as good as it's going to get unless we see more admin-patrolled servers go into action- and those admins crack down on those who would ruin everybody else's fun. The nOObs aren't going to stop; it's on us to make it more fun for them to go elsewhere and cause mischief.

Well, okay- one more:

#3 The Realism Factor
Not having played CS, or HALO, or HL/HL2, I can't comment on these relatively state-of-the-art games as such; my gaming experience outside of RO has been in the Delta Force series of games (DF2, DF2: Blackhawk Down/Team Sabre), and more recently in Day of Defeat: Source, Call of Duty and Medal Of Honor. While I love RO as it is, there are some aspects of those games that could possibly incorporated into RO for even more 'realism' and (at the same time) make it more appealing to the 'gamer' in all of us.

Some players simply won't be satisfied until they have a game that is 100% immersive, complete with a feature for every battlefield condition; others won't be satisfied until RO is 'dumbed down' to where any yayhoo can get to grips with it in five minutes. To me, compared to the other games I've played, RO is the 'thinking man's wargame' while others are simply 'shooters'. Along with that, I find myself gravitating towards the servers populated mainly by older, more mature players- not that I have anything against younger players, of course, but many co-gamers I associate with have either been in the military or have a good working knowledge of military affairs and this alone gives us a common bond that easily makes the leap into game terms.

I try to play the game in real-world terms as much as possible; I avoid gaming 'tricks' that are out there 'just because they are available'. Because of this, I hate hearing comments like the last post, in which the author said "If I'm about to stab you, and you shoot me, you're a coward". I would like ONE reference to an account by a real-life combat soldier who decided it was less honorable to shoot a charging enemy and instead chose to fight hand-to-hand. I can pretty much guarantee that Joe Infantry is 100% more likely to gun down Charging Ivan rather than have to cross bayonets or Ka-Bar knives with him. There is nothing cowardly about shooting a charging enemy- if Charging Ivan is stupid enough to expose himself to such counter-fire he deserves everything he gets, and Joe Infantry has nothing to feel bad about. (Read any account of any modern-day battle, and I daresay you'll not find a single reference where Easy Company gets up out of their foxholes to meet a banzai charge in open ground- in EVERY case you'll find that Joe Infantry blazed away at Tokyo Joe with everythig he had until he had no choice BUT to fight hand-to-hand. Close combat is always the last and poorest option; it was in WW2 and still is. So, every time you take that attitude that 'only dishonorable men turn down a bayonet charge' YOU are the one making RO less 'realistic' and more 'gamish'. When the RO community emulates you in this, don't whine about all the nOObs and kiddies- it's YOU that's teaching them wrong. One who has has been in a knife fight or close combat knows it's the last thing you want to do.(Note this section is not directly solely at you, Velcro Warrior, although it does apply in this case; I've found this same 'gamer' attitude in many posts in the RO forum so it's not just you.)

Upvote 0