• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

This is how explosions should sound like...

d4v said:
No I'm sure thats how they sound in reality. Image explosions of that quality in ROOST? Just image the ammount of realism and immersion it would add :eek:

Personally I like the dev team's philosophy: "Other games put you in a war movie. ROOST puts you in a war."

I've seen enough 'behind the scenes' tv segments and 'history versus hollywood' on Discovery TV to assume that, if the explosion seems over the top, it probably is - and therefore, not realistic.

Upvote 0
d4v said:
Listen to this clip I extracted from "The Matador" movie of an explosion and then think back to the explosion sounds in ROOST and then think, "why the **** arn't they this good sounding in the game"?

Listen - http://www.webfilehost.com/?mode=viewupload&id=8834643

all of the objective reviewers of RO:O have praised the sound as amazing given the age of the game's engine. The artillery sounds incredible if you are close to it, and I find the grenade explosion sounds to be seconf only to those in Brothers in Arms.

In short, the sound in RO:O is close to the best. :)

Upvote 0
BicycleRepairMan said:
That sound clip sounded a little too.. long.. for an explosion, real explosions are a much sharper, shorter "BANG!" that the long roaring "KAboohooom!" we often hear and see in movies. This is added for dramatic effect, and if it wasnt, movie explosions would sound like firecrackers, which real explosions do sound like, except alot louder..
But that explosion IS sharp... much sharper than most explosions in ROOST.

Have you heard them in Iraq? They sound just like it... a loud sharp rounded boom... just like the one i linked to.

The problem in ROOST is that most explosions sounds are not atall sharp and they just sound like a loud "drooney puff".

Is this engine limitations or what becuase it isen't by audigy 2 5.1 surround sound setup.

Dont get me wrong I love ROOST's sound more than any game INCLUDING BIA! The distant sound system is just incredible too. My only gripe with the sound is simply that some sounds in ROOST could be a lot better sounding.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
d4v said:
But that explosion IS sharp... much sharper than most explosions in ROOST.

Have you heard them in Iraq? They sound just like it... a loud sharp rounded boom... just like the one i linked to.

The problem in ROOST is that most explosions sounds are not atall sharp and they just sound like a loud "drooney puff".

Is this engine limitations or what becuase it isen't by audigy 2 5.1 surround sound setup.

Dont get me wrong I love ROOST's sound more than any game INCLUDING BIA! The distant sound system is just incredible too. My only gripe with the sound is simply that some sounds in ROOST could be a lot better sounding.
I did preferred the Tokarev and SVT-40 sound from the mod yes...

Upvote 0
SgtH3nry3 said:
I did preferred the Tokarev and SVT-40 sound from the mod yes...
IMO the sounds that need improving are...

G41 - sounds artificial
MG-42 - sounds like one long stream
P38 - too weak
Tank main gun firing sound - not sharp enough
Tank explosion sound (when its destroyed)
Panzerfaust launch sound - needs to be more fierce
Panzerfaust impact sound - does it even have one at the moment?
Satchel detonation sound - needs to be sharper
Grenade detonation sound - too hollow sounding

I would add artillary but I cannot give a fair judegment on that since my speakers frequency bandwidth is too narrow to replicate such a huge sound as it should be.

The distant versions of all sounds are absolutely flawlessm though!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
d4v said:
IMO the sounds that need improving are...
G41 - sounds artificial
MG-42 - sounds like one long stream
P38 - too weak
Tank main gun firing sound - not sharp enough
Tank explosion sound (when its destroyed)
Panzerfaust launch sound - needs to be more fierce
Panzerfaust impact sound - does it even have one at the moment?
Satchel detonation sound - needs to be sharper
Grenade detonation sound - too hollow sounding

What are you basing these opinions on? Are they based on IRL videos of the actual weapons? Because IIRC the devs were able to get hands on experience with the actual weapons.

Upvote 0
raydude said:
What are you basing these opinions on? Are they based on IRL videos of the actual weapons? Because IIRC the devs were able to get hands on experience with the actual weapons.
Well c'mon can you really tell me the G41 is a realistic gunshot sound in ROOST?

The P38 is no where near powerful sounding enough, either.

I've heard a browning 9mm go off many times and also a 5.56mm on autmatic so I do have a good idea of how gunshots sound.

Upvote 0
d4v said:
Well c'mon can you really tell me the G41 is a realistic gunshot sound in ROOST?

No I cannot. However, given that the devs have already stated that they've traveled to different war museums in Europe to personally investigate issues of reloading in a tank, and given their bibliographical source material how can one assume that they have not done otherwise with the weapon sounds?

And even if one assumes their sounds are off, the burden of proof lies with the person who disagrees.

Upvote 0