• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Thinking of buying Red Orchestra, couple of questions.

Romanrp

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
Hello, I am thinking of buying RO today, and I have a few questions.
How many people play this game today? Do the servers feel empty or are they still mainly full.
And how does this game compare to the project reality mod for battlefield 2?

Here are screenshots the server browser in RO and Darkest Hour mod, at the time of this post (along with my server filter: no bots, VAC enabled, and no empty servers).

http://min.us/mvnLXhL#1

I would say its pretty active, considering how small the community is.

================

How does it compare to PR? No clue, so I'll try to compare it to BF2.

Things from BF2 that aren't in RO 1 (excluding new/enhanced features in RO 2):
  • Squad Support
  • Better UI for commanding orders from Squad leaders and higher
  • Medics
  • Aircraft
  • More if I've forgotten

Things in RO 1 that aren't in BF2:
  • Melee combat for the weapons (bashing butt end of a weapon or with a bayonet, no separate melee only weapon)
  • Damage to body limbs
  • Changing machine gun barrels (prevents overheating)
  • Resting weapons on any surface (including bipods)
  • Cooking grenades
  • No dolphin diving :D
  • AT rounds can be deflected on Tank armor slopes
  • High recoil
  • More if I've forgotten

Things that are alike:
  • Artillery
  • Combined Tank/Infantry combat (not all maps have tanks)
  • Bullet drop from Snipers and Tanks
  • Variety of classes (however class numbers are locked on RO, with the majority of a team being Rifleman)
  • Resupplying ammo (RO 1 uses supply crates at designated locations or handing ammo to Machine Gunners)
  • Picking up weapons (RO: Weapon and its ammo drop, need to pick up both. Picking up a weapon doesn't change your entire load-out like BF2.)
  • Mod support
  • Big - Medium map sizes
  • High player cap for servers
  • More if I've forgotten

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Two 50-player servers are usually full, one in Europe and the other in North America, but there are plenty of other filled servers, most of them smaller. There's also the Darkest Hour mod, that also has plenty of filled servers. Don't worry about servers and players :D

And what do you mean by comparing PR to RO? In terms of realism, PR is deeper and more realistic, but a bit more slow paced, while RO has a kind of realism that doesn't alter the pace of the game that much, which I and a lot of other folks call it the perfect balance between realism and gameplay :cool:

RO costs only 10 bucks, you shouldn't wait any longer :D

Upvote 0
Welcome to RO! To me it seems the server load varies with the time of day (of course! LoL), with the Euro servers busy at the PM hour for them, then as they go to sleep for the night, most people come to the US servers. Don't discount being able to play OK even with a ping into the 200 + range. See you on the battlefield! TWB*SlowBull

Upvote 0
One more thing, when I get shot in my should does my accuracy increase?
Also, when I get hit in my leg, i move slowly for a moment but then I am back to my full speed, whats up with that?
No change in accuracy from getting shot anywhere. It remains the same.

Getting shot in the leg/foot or jumping from too high will cause you to be less mobile for a few seconds. Its to simulate the shock of getting shot, I suppose. You quickly recover and move on (if the enemy doesn't finish you off first).

Upvote 0