• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

These bots...what the?!?

the bots are better than in some games, but they are very exploitable. I remember in the german campaign in Apartments (as defenders) I just made everyone in my team go to the top floor and stay there to keep them alive, and then use the Mkb42 to mow down the guys coming up the stairs. They can be easily killed with places like that. Also in station I took a PPSh41 and killed at least 8 guys while waiting for reinforcements.

p.s. it was on the hardest difficulty, so they are better than in other games but still kind of easy

Upvote 0
the bots are better than in some games, but they are very exploitable. I remember in the german campaign in Apartments (as defenders) I just made everyone in my team go to the top floor and stay there to keep them alive, and then use the Mkb42 to mow down the guys coming up the stairs. They can be easily killed with places like that. Also in station I took a PPSh41 and killed at least 8 guys while waiting for reinforcements.

It happens in MP too (not in such scale tho), at least on round start when germans rush those buildings.. it takes quite some smoke, frags and suicide rushes to clear them out.
Such 1 way chokepoints are too demanding for bots of any FPS, the map simply wasnt built for SP gameplay in mind, and thanks for that. :D

Upvote 0

p.s. it was on the hardest difficulty, so they are better than in other games but still kind of easy

Well of course they ain't perfect and I'm hoping the dev's continue to calibrate and refine them. Can anyone really name a tac-shooter AI that ain't scripted in large areas such as these that work better in terms of cover, setting up defense at windows etc...? I'm not trying to be fecetious, I just happen to have a strong interest in AI of the non-scripted variety.

Upvote 0
Eh I guess when I thnk about it no I cannot...but... that pretty much just shows how primative the state of ai is... Really unscripted ai should not be attempted... it just isn't practical at this point.

Quite the contraire! :D

It's evolution can only happen if Developers don't abandon it -which is one of my greatest fears with the upsurge of MP gaming. I remember when Doom first came out and a simple door was all you needed to stave off AI and they always knew exactly where you were. To now see soldiers that I'm shooting out jump over things to take cover in a non-scripted event -it's come a long way.

Upvote 0
weird, i was very impressed with the bots on the first bit of sp that i've completed. Generally they are cautious but do the right thing, rarely saw any dumbness except in cqc occasinally.

Actually felt like i was part of a team at times, how's that compared to Ramm et al. in RO1..no more getting stuck in a doorway and no auto aimbot jump- sniping with smg

Upvote 0
Quite the contraire! :D

It's evolution can only happen if Developers don't abandon it -which is one of my greatest fears with the upsurge of MP gaming. I remember when Doom first came out and a simple door was all you needed to stave off AI and they always knew exactly where you were. To now see soldiers that I'm shooting out jump over things to take cover in a non-scripted event -it's come a long way.

if this is how u judge AI (good pathfinding and understanding of cover) than the best AIs i've ever seen are in GTAIV and STALKER. especially GTAIV. with modded games with AI that spawns on command (or with the police) they can path find their way into mostly anywhere the player can and they can always know where to grab cover. truly amazing AI in these aspects.

Upvote 0
Not sure what game this guy was playing.

For me the bots were stupid or too good. They shoot you before they are actually over the cover. MGs can hipshoot while running from over 100 metres away and hit you. Bots can hipshoot rifles while running and get direct hits from miles away.

Bots run around stupidly. Bots can't defend for *** so defending is normally a 1 man job. Bots get destroyed when attacking so attacking is normally a one man job...

Upvote 0
I was generally pleased with their quality. Still got the occasional stuck guy (about one per map at least.)

The AI didn't seem all that great at threat acquisition. On the sniping defense level, I stayed at the first window on the second floor without taking rounds pretty much my whole second time trying it.

So they don't exactly prepare you for the level of skill of online players....but I was pleased to see they at least listened to me.

With a few more passes I could see having some fun real commanding them, instead of just ordering all teams to attack Point X, which is how I got through the entire campaign. The portions where they expect you to order engineers to kill tanks or Anti-Tank Riflemen to take them out.....are kind of wishful thinking though. The AI barely performs well enough for that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My exact feeling towards the BOTS, especially the getting in your face comment.

Yep. I found the enemy bots are pretty decent. The friendlies on the other hand need to learn the concept of personal space. Can't count how many times I've had to move because someone decided to set up right in front of me, or right next to me, or right INSIDE my character model.

On that tank map, friendly tanks not only blocked my view but also boxed me in against a wall so I couldn't move to get out of it. I spent half the level face-palming and trying to tell them to move.

Upvote 0
if this is how u judge AI (good pathfinding and understanding of cover) than the best AIs i've ever seen are in GTAIV and STALKER. especially GTAIV. with modded games with AI that spawns on command (or with the police) they can path find their way into mostly anywhere the player can and they can always know where to grab cover. truly amazing AI in these aspects.

STALKER I've only heard good things about so I must try -thanks for reminding!

GTA4, hmmm... well, they are good at what they are supposed to do -hunt down you (which is only 1 person). Their use of cover is above average tho something feels lacking in those firefights. Another thing to remember, theres little to no indoor fighting which is something that always interests me. That being, an AI that can go from outdoor (Macro) to indoor CQB (Micro) in a semi-intelligent and interesting way.

Upvote 0
The bots are actually terrible in my eyes, they wander around, while i'm getting shot at from a enemy a few feet away from them. They will jump over fences and walls back and forth, and you never know when one will actually kill you, sometimes they just aim for you and do nothing and than they rush towards you to melee bash your head in, and EVERY melee hit they throw at you is a one hit kill.

Upvote 0