• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Theatre of War

add on for TOW! in Africa :)

http://games.1c.ru/art_of_war_afrika/

art_of_war_afrika9.jpg

art_of_war_afrika8.jpg

art_of_war_afrika2.jpg

art_of_war_afrika1.jpg

art_of_war_afrika3.jpg

Upvote 0
Here is a rough Babelfish translation..

new series of vargeymov, created by developers the "second world", is opened by the game, dedicated to scale operation, which passed in the beginning of 1943 in Tunisia and predetermined the crushing defeat of troops of Germany in North Africa.

After being set right after defeat in El Alamein, German Afrika Korps, reinforced by Italian military contingent and intensified by the newest armament, appeared against the allies. Under the command of experienced General Rommel German troops had the serious foundations for designing for rapid victory. However, military actions substantially tightened themselves, and to the plans of German command judged it was happen...

For player one must prove to be in the epicentre of Tunisian operation and carry out the orders of Rommel, Montgomery or Eisenhower - depending on that, troops of what country it will prefer to command.

Entirely another war:

**Computer graphics and the sonic tracking of new generation.

**15 play missions in three campaigns - for Germany, USA and Great Britain, and also the generator of missions for developing its own military scenario.

**Seizure and conducting is combat in the buildings or from the shelter.

**Hand-to-hand fighting.

**Ground-based and air combat vehicles, stationary antiaircraft sites, accessible for control.

**Extended management of formations, the usovershenstvovannyy artificial intellect of soldiers, the independent search for shelters by soldiers, the improved system of damages for the infantry.

**System of visibility taking into account the viewing angle and influence of smoke screens.

**Search of play servers in the Internet and different possibilities for the multi-user game.

Upvote 0
I hope they can make it right this time. TOW lacks proper cover modelling for infantry, and maybe proper AI for infantry altogether, so Africa plains and mountains with mostly bare sand are a perfect place for "sterile" TOW gameplay.

I don't think it will be much better though. IMO the game engine just doesn't cut it.

Upvote 0
I hope they can make it right this time. TOW lacks proper cover modelling for infantry, and maybe proper AI for infantry altogether, so Africa plains and mountains with mostly bare sand are a perfect place for "sterile" TOW gameplay.

I don't think it will be much better though. IMO the game engine just doesn't cut it.
Agreed, I'd rather have infantry that are intuitive to control and don't break formation and wander as soon as I leave them alone for 5 seconds than pretty graphics.

Upvote 0
Yeah, well, I don't really see how the engine can or can't cut it. The graphics are brill and the broken feature is frivolous tactical AI for tanks and lack thereof for infantry. And since they're vouching to fix infantry and tanks can be simply locked down to a particular position (not the most forthcoming feature, I know) - hopefully that'll be fixed as well.
And enterable buildings. Finally. A whole new level of gameplay.

Even if they do get something wrong again, the game's running on a cheap price tag, that's one. Two, it's 1C, so I can imagine they'll be putting out those add-on thingies, improved versions, and whatnots for years to come. I mean, judging by the way Il-2's been handled.

I'll deffo be on a lookout for the add-on when it comes out. Well, theoretically it's going to be an add-on, but from what I hear, that's going to be a stand-alone (the way, say, Pacific Fighters was a stand-alone or a mergable installation with Forgotten Battles). So for folks already hooked on this one, they'll be buying the add-on that fixes some basic elements that should have been functional when this first came out, and for those that don't have the first installment - they can simply hop in with the stand-alone and enjoy it. Guess this business model works for them, so they stuck to it.

Upvote 0
I really can't see what everyone is *****ing about with ToW, whilst I admit it isn't perfect, it is I think better than all of its rivals, and if anyone disagrees with me, then , well, please tell me what games are better, I would be delighted to know:D

i suppose you don't know CC5 then? even though it is in 2d, it is way more intense, realistic and covers all levels of strategy from unit management to deciding where to move your regiments.
that is, when played online.
TOW seems to have been built initially as an open field tank managing rts, in wich they threw in some infantry and some houses.
the gap between TOW and games like CC5 is too big, the nice visuals of TOW don't make up for the shallow gameplay it delivers and limited level of control.
unfortunately i believe that all the patches in the world won't be enough to get this game to the heels of CC5. right now it's pretty much half as good as CC1 or CC2 from the 90's.

Upvote 0
Yeah, well, I don't really see how the engine can or can't cut it. The graphics are brill and the broken feature is frivolous tactical AI for tanks and lack thereof for infantry. And since they're vouching to fix infantry and tanks can be simply locked down to a particular position (not the most forthcoming feature, I know) - hopefully that'll be fixed as well.
And enterable buildings. Finally. A whole new level of gameplay.

Even if they do get something wrong again, the game's running on a cheap price tag, that's one. Two, it's 1C, so I can imagine they'll be putting out those add-on thingies, improved versions, and whatnots for years to come. I mean, judging by the way Il-2's been handled.

I'll deffo be on a lookout for the add-on when it comes out. Well, theoretically it's going to be an add-on, but from what I hear, that's going to be a stand-alone (the way, say, Pacific Fighters was a stand-alone or a mergable installation with Forgotten Battles). So for folks already hooked on this one, they'll be buying the add-on that fixes some basic elements that should have been functional when this first came out, and for those that don't have the first installment - they can simply hop in with the stand-alone and enjoy it. Guess this business model works for them, so they stuck to it.

The engine is very well suited for Armored Combat, but for infantry, IMO it's very limited. First, you can't really create cover in IL-2 type landscapes. For cover, I mean slight bumps, little ditches, hiding behind trees, hedgerows etc, anything. I know COH is a silly action RTS, but it's for more advanced when it comes to units taking cover. Anything on the field is a cover.

Whereas TOW only has trees blocking sight, grass, and occasional rare buildings/walls. The only strong cover element is trenches, and as we've seen it's present on nearly all missions because game developers have no other choice. Which makes the singleplayer games get boring really fast.

Also I'd not call 49.50$ a cheap price tag. In it's current state, it should be well under 20$.

I cannot think a better game than TOW, it was really going to be the first of it's class; realistic WW2 portrayal with good immersion and hooking gameplay. This was going to be a game where you'd take your division, and live the Patriotic War from start to end like a commander. It turned out to be an excellent tanking sim with no immersion, non-existand AI and an ultra boring gameplay.

Dunno I know I'm being a bit pessimistic, so I still hope this one will survive. Because this will probably their last chance to make it right before 1C-Battlefront pulls the plug.

Upvote 0
somebody wanted this from memory :)

You, sirrah, have ensured that ToW is retaining its place on my HD until the release of the add-on. Thank you - have a cookie.

Oh, and as for the cover - yes. It is complete bollocks as it is, nothing more irritating than some skipping German trooper firing off a burst with his StG-44 and actually hitting my airborne infantry, prone and hidden in the bushes.
But I think there is potential for improvement here. I don't know how fine can the terrain brushes be on this one, but mayhaps this is merely a mapmaking problem.

Well, I don't know. Sure, it's miles behind CC5 (I've no idea how many times I have gone through the Grand Campaign on that one), but it has potential. Maybe it's just the promise that ToW makes, maybe that's the thing that grabbed my attention and won't let go.

Upvote 0
TOW reminds me of the bad parts in CC2 a bridge too far or cc3, infantry was extremely vulnerable and tanks were to important.
but none of the good parts of those games are present in TOW unfortunately, like realistic cover or half decent AI. when you played a campaign in CC series you ended up knowing the names of some soldiers when they proved themselves on the battlefield. it feeled like it was real, and i was commanding them.
i never got "into" TOW like that

the way TOW works i believe it is impossible it will ever be able to deliver realistic CA combat, it's stuck with limited MP playability, scripted to death SP battles and open ground-trench-open ground-trench battlefields...
i doubt the engine can render every ditch, crater or depression like it was possible in CC
even though wome modders seem to be working on creating more cover.

Upvote 0