• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Theatre of War

I tried the demo yesterday and I wasn't impressed. My graphics settings were all set on high, and yet everything looked low-res and fuzzy. Controlling the camera is also a *****.

Overall, the game feels like Suddenstrike, but in 3D. :(

I guess I'll keep waiting for a real WWII Combat Mission sequel....

for controling the camera press the middle mouse and then you will see the magic (just hold it and move your mouse around)

Upvote 0
thanks for the tip man!! I was struggling with the camera, but loving the game. now, I'll love it even more!! :D

heheh no problemo mate, i myself was struggling at the beginning but i saw a movie submitted by a fellow gamer and i saw that he had a strange ball when he rotated the camera, so i started to search for it and found it, ever since i'm in love with this game. :D

Upvote 0
Now please share a part of your wisdom, mates, how the hell do you fight off German Pz3s in the defensive tutorial, when they go after two waves of infantry? They are ridiculuosly good shots, while my AT gunners are hitting the skies.. They just stand there and plow my trenches and AT guns with HE.. So far I managed to get only 1 of three Pz3 (and only 4 soldiers of mine were alive at that moment).

Upvote 0
Now please share a part of your wisdom, mates, how the hell do you fight off German Pz3s in the defensive tutorial, when they go after two waves of infantry? They are ridiculuosly good shots, while my AT gunners are hitting the skies.. They just stand there and plow my trenches and AT guns with HE.. So far I managed to get only 1 of three Pz3 (and only 4 soldiers of mine were alive at that moment).

Bolt, wish I could be of more help, but I am still a total nOOb in ToW. played less that 3 hours or so. to say I am "still learning" would be a severe understatment! ;)

Upvote 0
Just downloaded the demo.

The graphics were set at the highest at 1400x900. Didn't even look that great on the highest and didn't play that well.

I set them at the lowest and it still didn't run that great. Better, but not that good.

Must be the graphics card. (X600, 2g ram)

From what I played, it was OK. Not enjoyable when the game is running at 20fps. ;)

Upvote 0
OK, I've finally managed to acomplish those tutorial missions. :D That's the first game where I actually had to think during the tutorial, reload and think again.
The hardest part was, as I said, fighting off 2 German platoons with 3 medium tanks only with 2 45mm AT guns and a handful of soldiers. Basically, when the tanks show up, one shouldn't try to take them out immediately, artillery men will have to make from 3 to infinity shots to at least hit them, and even if they will hit them, those AT guns are too weak to punch through armour. So, when you see tanks - run for cover, motherf#cker, as Missy would say. I've put my AT crews in the bushes, tankers realised that it is safe to plow the trenches now and started driving to me one by one. And when they were somewhere at the distance of ~70 meters, my crews reappeared next to AT guns - BANG - BANG, you're dead!.. Only 3 brave soviet soldiers had survived that bloody August day.

I like that game. Even though I have to play on the lowest settings, I don't mind it as long as it so interesting experience.

Upvote 0
So far, I have to admit, I'm not impressed. I'm pretty dissapointed, to be honest. I had really high hopes for this game.

Difficulty aside, the game has a number of issues:

1. The user interface is pretty rough. The camera is awkward. The awards and experience thing is unbelievably tedious if you don't use the "automatic" button.

2. Pathfinding is also not what I expect. I've had trucks take forever figuring out how to cross a bridge, not even under fire. I wish I could tell my tanks not to advance towards the enemy when they fire and have it stick. Yes, I know about the hold position button, I just get tired of having to hit it all the time. Is there a way to have a tank reverse away from the enemy? It seems if I use retreat for a short distance, they'll back up. For longer distances, they'll turn around.

3. I've only done a few battles in the German campaign so far, so I'm willing to be proven wrong, but so far a lot of the scenarios feel pretty "gamey". Every singly mission so far seems to involve an enemy tank counterattack. It's getting to the point where I basically don't attack right away, but move around to try to trigger the counterattack. It just feels gamey.

Some of the missions seem downright impossible. The difficulty seems very uneven.

4. And, of course, there are the performance issues. Fortunately, the game seems to run fine for me at decent resolutions.

5. In order to control my forces effectively, I'm forced to play at a zoom level where I can't really see the nice models. Not sure what they could have done about that, but you're not really going to get to see beautiful models in action in this game.

All in all, the game feels rough. Certainly not what I'd expect from the makers of IL-2. I'll certainly keep playing, but I can already see I won't be "addicted" to ToW. Too bad.

Just my $0.02 worth (that means it's an opinion and you really shouldn't get all that upset even if you feel ToW is the greatest thing since Pong).

Upvote 0
Personally I think if your going to go through all the time it takes to setup and plan your tactics that the units follow your orders.(whats with the wandering commanders?)

i also think that the AI takes a few liberties on the battlefield. As in being able to accurately hit from 600m out and kill effectively when my guys struggle at distances of 200m.

It almost feels that the game tries to be to many things without doing anything exceptionally. I am of the mindset that this game has potential once a few things get ironed out.
I was hoping for a more polished game with better support ala TWI and RO:OST.

Upvote 0
a few more for the demo mission

was messing around with the mission and figured I'd post this for any other demo players wanting a dif last frontier Mission.

changes: dusk combat conditions, all german reinforcements and tanks available at beginning for free, points set to 10,000, a little extra reinforcements.

instructions: unzip and place the new mis file to your \Battlefront\Theatre of War Demo\Missions\SINGLE_MISSIONS\G015_Seelow folder and remember to backup your original mission.xml first ( recommended ). Enjoy.

additional : if it is a bit too dark just post I will put up a bit brighter one. Have a ultra brite monitor.

download: http://www.savefile.com/files/662854

grab2007422um3.jpg

Here is my little modification:
another map, 3000 kredits, some delaytimes changed, no artistrikes, no dogbarking,...

originalfiles (mission.xml, ambient.xml and trigger.ini) must be saved bevor ;)

http://dodownload.filefront.com/731...7019fa31c2684e27be3fca020c813e0bba20a39cb3187

All right play as the russians...same dusk conditions but now has rain and a bit more fog.

all files go into your \Battlefront\Theatre of War Demo\Missions\SINGLE_MISSIONS\G015_Seelow folder and over write originals after of course backing them up.

description: allows you to play as the russians. Also fixes backwards russian flag on all 3 of the maps. Changed German flag, modified maps a bit. Player can use russian artillery.

other: couldn't get rid of the german start position zone control from player so just click start battle. Also they enemy doesn't put units there properly due to that but it still is fun and a bit of a challenge.Anyone who knows how to fix that so the germans can use the deployment zone instead of the player please post or feel free to modify the mission. I wanted to make it so you could buy russian units but that didn't work out so need to buy units just set difficulty and hit battle.

download:

click here to download

screens:

grabkc3.jpg

little model prob I noticed:

grab20074fw4.jpg

A little updated version i have made,
from any tank, 3-5 available on missionbegin.

http://files.filefront.com/TOW_Demomod_2rar/;7326394;/fileinfo.html

Upvote 0