• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Witcher

SheepDip

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
The Elitist Prick Club
The Witcher is out, don't quite know how it slipped so low under my radar.

The speil is

"The Witcher" combines spectacular and visually stunning action with deep and intriguing storyline. The game is set in a world created by best-selling Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. The world shares many common features with other fantasy lands, but there are also some distinguishing elements setting it apart from others.

The game features the player as a "Witcher", a warrior who has been trained to fight since childhood, subjected to mutations and trials that transformed him. He earns his living killing monsters and is a member of a brotherhood founded long ago to protect people from werewolves, the undead, and a host of other beasts.

I followed it for a while in 2006, I think it's mentioned in an old thread on games for 2006, slipped under the radar when I became jaded and stopped getting excited about games.

http://www.thewitcher.com/

Yeah, should be out in the US in four days. I really hope these Eastern Europe guys bring something new in. I won't care if the fighting system is just a click fest as long as there's an actual story to keep me occupied. Fingers crossed. ;)

And oh, the Polish metal band Vader made a song for it. :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=A3GEPkjNh6k
Only reason why i noticed it.

Bit weak vader song though.

Upvote 0
Played this 6-7 hours today. Awesome game. Best visuals I have seen, best looking characters I have seen, decisions that affect the future, brutal combat, mature story elements.

Only downside so far: Game loads every time you enter a building or come out of it or save the game. And its not like couple seconds, its more like 15-30 seconds depending on your computer. But the game is so good you don't mind too much.

Upvote 0
My two friends have mixed views: other recommends it dearly, while the other says that the story is ruined a bit by bad translation, that the gameplay is too action-oriented and the mature part is only gore, strong language and superrandom soft-core scenes and funny titty pictures. He says it's nothing exceptional when compared to RPGs like Fallout 1 & 2, Arcanum, KotOR and so on.

More opinions from people who've actually played it? :(

Upvote 0
My two friends have mixed views: other recommends it dearly, while the other says that the story is ruined a bit by bad translation, that the gameplay is too action-oriented and the mature part is only gore, strong language and superrandom soft-core scenes and funny titty pictures. He says it's nothing exceptional when compared to RPGs like Fallout 1 & 2, Arcanum, KotOR and so on.

More opinions from people who've actually played it? :(

Its not exceptional when compared to Fallouts or Kotor, after all those are the top rpg games ever made. I think the gameplay is similar to Kotor, but more open and more choices. The world is immersive and realistic looking. There are many side quests and it seems to be very long game. The fighting is very gory and the ending moves are a pleasure to watch. The contorls in fighting seem a little stiff but also engaging. Character development is simple and full of passive skils, no chance to specialize in something afaik. It doesn't bother me since this is no Oblivion type of game, it is the story that counts.

I'm not sure what to say about the maturity. I guess it is just more "in your face" in this game than some other rpgs. It somehow feels fresh though it might not be.

Upvote 0
Its not exceptional when compared to Fallouts or Kotor, after all those are the top rpg games ever made. I think the gameplay is similar to Kotor, but more open and more choices. The world is immersive and realistic looking. There are many side quests and it seems to be very long game. The fighting is very gory and the ending moves are a pleasure to watch. The contorls in fighting seem a little stiff but also engaging. Character development is simple and full of passive skils, no chance to specialize in something afaik. It doesn't bother me since this is no Oblivion type of game, it is the story that counts.

I'm not sure what to say about the maturity. I guess it is just more "in your face" in this game than some other rpgs. It somehow feels fresh though it might not be.

Nicely summed up, I'll try to get my friend's house to see it before buying. :)

Upvote 0
Now, if someone will release an "uncensored" patch so I can see these voluptuous ladies in all their glory I'll be all set. ;)

Not much need for uncensored patch here:

ForestLady.jpg

Yes...you can shag her.

Upvote 0