• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Witcher

The acting in the cutscenes gets leagues better after the tutorial. Seriously, that was biggest turn off for me in any RPG ever, was listening to Trist's and the other Witchers voice actors painfully try to sound alarmed/concerned at the random junk that occurs in the tutorial.

Afterward though, it all smooths out to be one of the better RPG experiences I've had. The dialog may not be *quite* up to Dragon Age's.....but the game as a whole is better.

On money, I found I had plenty until it was time to buy new armor. Then you'll be back to having empty pockets again.

Upvote 0
Kinda sorta, not really.

Spoiler!

I think Witcher lived up to its claim that what you do or say is important. Sometimes I think fans hear that and expect something like a procedurally generated storyline with 1,000,000 iterations, where one choice completely changes the whole outcome of the game. That's never been realistic, even in old JRPGs where you have 30 characters and a storyline designed to have 30 endings.

Bottomline though, I remember doing a lot of reloading during Witcher because I would say or do something and it would close as many doors as it opened.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bottomline though, I remember doing a lot of reloading during Witcher because I would say or do something and it would close as many doors as it opened.

I did a lot of saving and reload to see what changed, but as I saw no effect, I kinda stopped caring and just went forward. The little or zero effect that a choice may have is not enough to make me re-play the game. Not even the most important choice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Like I said, it's not perfect. I won't replay Witcher to see what it could have been like with different decisions either.

But it does a good job of at least making the people you deal with feel like they're reacting to your decisions, that you own at least some of the choices made in game because you're reminded of them later on. That's better than what a lot of RPGs promise in this department.

Upvote 0
The decisions throughout the game don't have any major effect on what you have to do as such (as it's basically the same situation but with you on different sides), but decisions dictate what you have to do, and what missions are open to you and how you get them.

For example
Spoiler!

As we all know by now, I'm a big fan - the decisions you have to make, whilst they can't necessarily change the outcome don't dim the feelings involved imo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Loaded this up again with all the patches thru 1.5. Never did the last chapter due to a hard drive failure almost two years ago. Starting from scratch and playing thru till The Witcher 2 comes out and its something to do while waiting for ROHOS :D
^^^
What he said, except I have finished the game and got the neutral ending (all I know is my gut says maybe).

Now I am going to play again and be a complete manwhore bastard.

Upvote 0