• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Wild Bunch & Tripwire Interactive's 50 player test server

/ imo voIP was the worst addition to ut2004. It is buggy, doesnt work properly for me and I freaking hate those girly voices that tell me what to do /

Anyway will have to hop on this server, But remember Quality > Quantity. Concider em a whiner, but are the official maps really capable of supporting 50 players without turning it into 1 big messy spamfest?

Upvote 0
Noooo I was kicked for over using the chat or something and I HAD THE BEST SN OF THE CENTURY ALL LOST!! CONSPIRACY!!

Anyways, I thought the server handled everything beautifully, Koingz wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be other than name making it past the first 5 minutes on axis lol. Let me know how Arad went!

Upvote 0
Yes, this test is to see how RO will perform on different maps on the best hardware available (to us). The Wild Bunch were nice enough to lend us their server for this test. We will be gathering data on various infantry/ CA/ and Tank maps. We will use this data to help guide admins in the next patch when we unclock the 32 player limit on the server.

Upvote 0
RedOrchestra%202007-04-11%2010-54-33-07.png

so far so good, this is from the beginning of Arad. Pings were just a tad (maybe 10-20ms) higher than usual.

Upvote 0
It is important to note that your servers or the servers you love to play on will not magicly be able to support over 32 players. As in the first post in this thread, you will need a beast of a processor that can chug through single threaded code to even think about going above 32, and even then not all maps will perform the same above that limit.

Like before tank maps will eat up more CPU cycles, so if you like to run tank maps, your limit will have to be lower. Infantry maps, especially smaller ones with lots of twists and turns that keep alot from being rendered all at once (Danzig), will perform the best with higher player counts. But then again aslo keep in mind the maps out there were not designed for 32+ players.

But we'll have more info on this closer to the patch release along with some guidelines for server admins.

Upvote 0
It is important to note that your servers or the servers you love to play on will not magicly be able to support over 32 players. As in the first post in this thread, you will need a beast of a processor that can chug through single threaded code to even think about going above 32, and even then not all maps will perform the same above that limit.

Like before tank maps will eat up more CPU cycles, so if you like to run tank maps, your limit will have to be lower. Infantry maps, especially smaller ones with lots of twists and turns that keep alot from being rendered all at once (Danzig), will perform the best with higher player counts. But then again aslo keep in mind the maps out there were not designed for 32+ players.

But we'll have more info on this closer to the patch release along with some guidelines for server admins.

Understood.... However, we are running 3 Ghz plus Core Duo CPU's here with 2GB ram per Server with SATA Drives.

The player machines here are the same except they have SLI'ed MSI 7900's... on MSI MB's.

I would think that would suffice...... :) We'll see.;)

Upvote 0
It went pretty smoothly for me over all. Ping was around 130-150 here in eastern USA, FPS as high as 80 and low as 25 on Konig. Arad gave me a couple hiccups at first, but smoothed out. It was always playable on every map.

On Rakowice I ran into that carrier MG problem where the tracers go where I aim and the bullets go a couple meters to the side. I'd never seen this on an original map before, so thought I'd mention it.

It was great fun, but WOW the reinforcements go FAST!

Upvote 0
Sounds promising. Before I hop on:

Infantry maps, especially smaller ones with lots of twists and turns that keep alot from being rendered all at once (Danzig), will perform the best with higher player counts.

I don't see how rendering is a server-performance factor? The server doesn't render the maps, does it? I understand that alot of players requires more processing from the server, but how is that extra processing dependent on the map? Explain please :eek:

Upvote 0