• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The "Stop Online Piracy Act".

Ask the people who are taking action against them.

Ah, I thought you meant that Megaupload paid some individuals to distribute copyrighted content on Megaupload, rather than the copyright holders :rolleyes:
Haven't heard of that either though, any news links?

Edit: This is a rather interesting chain of events: http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/onplj/feds_shut_down_megaupload/c3in8qx
Edit 2: Hah, there it says that megaupload was paying users to upload copyrighted material. I call bull****.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Might be BS, but I doubt they would make such a case without SOME kind of evidence.

Megaupload is a bit off the radar, or at least I thought so anyway.
Gonna quote a reddit post here, since I can't open up the page where the indictment is hosted.

Around page 30 they start to quote internal megaupload emails. These are actually quite damning -- megaupload knew about the copyrighted content on their servers, talked openly about it among themselves, helped people find it, rewarded users who uploaded it, and tried to avoid deleting it as much as possible. All knowingly.

Still weird tho. I don't understand what Megaupload had to gain from this. The risks seem far greater that the rewards. I mean, they had a lot of legitimate users who either were paying users and had accounts or simply generated add revenue. Why risk loosing that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Still weird tho. I don't understand what Megaupload had to gain from this. The risks seem far greater that the rewards. I mean, they had a lot of legitimate users who either were paying users and had accounts or simply generated add revenue. Why risk loosing that?

Could just be money. People are greedy. Didn't they have advertising on those sites, so the more people visiting means more money. I'm not sure, hadn't visited any Megaupload site since I downloaded a few custom ROOST maps years ago.

Upvote 0
What disgusts me about the campaign against soap is the way people defend piracy- Saying stuff like ffuuu greedy artists, they have millions already.." well many don't, you lose legitimacy for your case the moment you defend ruining other people's business.

well, I have to agree there :p

but I'll also have to say that I think I should be allowed to take other peoples stuff and let me make fun of it. like the parodys of rebecca black. the parody was better than the acctual Song... and lol... most things I find funny is just some people making bad jokes about something. and if "something" isn't allowed to be copied... well then there is nothing to make jokes about and internet = ****ed up

and all the gaming reviews and lets play stuff... I bet it all had to be removed because of copyrights!!! :( :( :( :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What disgusts me about the campaign against soap is the way people defend piracy- Saying stuff like ffuuu greedy artists, they have millions already.." well many don't, you lose legitimacy for your case the moment you defend ruining other people's business.

Well that is indeed a pretty stupid argument against the legislation, however I think you have your focus wrong if those few nutjobs actually are capable of "disgusting you" against the opposition. Most people that are against SOPA are against the arbitrary and basically random measures that the US authorities are being allowed to take, measures that would potentially cause greater collateral damage to innocent websites than to actual pirates.

Upvote 0
Well that is indeed a pretty stupid argument against the legislation, however I think you have your focus wrong if those few nutjobs actually are capable of "disgusting you" against the opposition. Most people that are against SOPA are against the arbitrary and basically random measures that the US authorities are being allowed to take, measures that would potentially cause greater collateral damage to innocent websites than to actual pirates.

Oh ofcourse, don't get me wrong I don't trust the government as much as the next guy.. But I do find difficult to see hackers, pirates and couch-anarchists as a trusty group either

Upvote 0

to be honest here. I think I would stop buying american software if this stupid law came. I don't want no americans coming and censoring my stuff cuz I made a "tutorial" picture of their program... its just as stupid like thiose countries that is censoring the blood in game... now who would like living there? I think If the law came I think that the companys would go even worse!

and anyways, I see loads of people that download cracked games (expensive software) usually try several cracked softwares before buying one of them. its not like a normal person could afford every ****ing game online. I maybe tried a 300 games last couple of years but it doesnt mean I want to support all the crap like angry birds, sega, activision(got pretty crappy latly), etc. and I would never bought killing floor if I hadn't tried a crack version. and today I bought several copies of killingfloor. I even downloaded red orchestra 2. which I think sucked, cuz it just got to "hardcore" for my style. but I still ended up buying it because I want to support TWI cuz I like several other titles they have (especially killing floor :D). to be honest I hadn't mind throwing TWI a litle donation. I know several of my friends are doing this aswell. so when they come up with these crazy numbers that says: "americans lose 500billions every year because of piracy" I bet you they are not true! let me take an example at work. we planned to buy one 3d program that could handle it all for our needs. I think we tried 14cracked versions which would be say 14000 dollars (total of 19 but all didnt have demo time). but since we were only to have 1 copy anyways we would just use 1000dollars. now the guys that calculate this stuff means that we have ripped of 13000dollars :/ make sense, since we just planned to buy 1 in the first place...

end story. I don't want to buy crap and support crappy companies that make harry potter games. I want support real games Like killing floor, Jagged alliance, Skyrim etc etc... and the only way to find out whats crap or not. is to do something Illeagle or download a demo, which most games lack! which is kinda sad cuz I would rather download a 100mb demo rather a 14GB game :/

Last edited:
Reactions: DraKon2k
Upvote 0
I would rather download a 100mb demo rather a 14GB game :/

If the game is 14Gb, the demo is probably 6Gb, look at Shogun 2.

But you do have a point in trying things first before buying should be a right.

In most stores, you can ask for a refund on your product if you are not satisfied. Steam should implement a system in which during a period of time after the purchase, you can easily ask for the deactivation of the game and a refund of your money, just like any other product.

If not, it should be a trial time of, lets say 30 minutes to 3 hours (depending on the game) for games that don't have demos.

That way you completely eliminate the "trial pirates", separate the legitimate ones, from the BS ones.

Video related @ 9:45:
► WTF Is... - OnLive ? - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I for one actually agree to pirating due to many of the major corporations and publishers ripping both the consumer and the developers off and treating us like absolute garbage. As a friend of mine pointed out to me yesterday, for a musical album that cost $30, only about $2 of it goes towards royalties for the band, the rest go towards the publisher and middleman, I've also seen albums gain a $10 price hike overnight just because the band made it into the top 40 charts (Fat Freddie's Drop, album), yet the band still earns the mere $2.00 royalties they had before. Same goes with DVD's they go for about $40 new release, and half of the DVD is filled with unskippable ad's and warnings against priacy (ironically enough).

Not only that, many AAA title medias are notorious for treating their developers like absolute sh!t, whether or not it's movies, music or video games (especially video games). This is important on my factor because AAA are ususally the only ones that ever actually complain about Piracy and set up absolute garbage stoppers that render your product moot as soon as you break certain codes, for example: My Spore game is completely useless now because I installed it 3 times on different computers, and EA is refusing to re-activate my code because my friend registered his account on my game. Same with My friends game Homefront, if he wants to play with my here THQ charges him $10 in order to access online capabilities from my console!

In short, I support piracy to an extent because I believe what goes around comes around, and if publishers started actually treating it's consumers a little bit better, rather than shoving crap and blocks in their face, there would be much less piracy going around and people would actually start buying products again.

Reactions: Olivier
Upvote 0
I for one actually agree to pirating due to many of the major corporations and publishers ripping both the consumer and the developers off and treating us like absolute garbage. As a friend of mine pointed out to me yesterday, for a musical album that cost $30, only about $2 of it goes towards royalties for the band, the rest go towards the publisher and middleman, I've also seen albums gain a $10 price hike overnight just because the band made it into the top 40 charts (Fat Freddie's Drop, album), yet the band still earns the mere $2.00 royalties they had before. Same goes with DVD's they go for about $40 new release, and half of the DVD is filled with unskippable ad's and warnings against priacy (ironically enough).

Not only that, many AAA title medias are notorious for treating their developers like absolute sh!t, whether or not it's movies, music or video games (especially video games). This is important on my factor because AAA are ususally the only ones that ever actually complain about Piracy and set up absolute garbage stoppers that render your product moot as soon as you break certain codes, for example: My Spore game is completely useless now because I installed it 3 times on different computers, and EA is refusing to re-activate my code because my friend registered his account on my game. Same with My friends game Homefront, if he wants to play with my here THQ charges him $10 in order to access online capabilities from my console!

In short, I support piracy to an extent because I believe what goes around comes around, and if publishers started actually treating it's consumers a little bit better, rather than shoving crap and blocks in their face, there would be much less piracy going around and people would actually start buying products again.

Hmmm, interesting. An artist only makes about $2 royalty per album, or roundabouts and you think that is unfair so you pirate the album and the band now makes nothing? That's logical Spock :rolleyes:

You sir are part of the problem and reason that governments propose BS legislation like this in the first place. Seriously...

EDIT: I must wonder, I can pick up most albums here in the US for about $10 US. I hope your $30 isn't in US dollars...

Last edited:
Reactions: Olivier
Upvote 0
Same with The Witcher 2. Great PC Exclusive and no DRM whatsoever.

I can correct you on that.

The Witcher 2 had DRM the first two weeks. I preordered the physical edition, and it made me install the securom BS and do a lot of crap, and it did impact the performance of the game greatly, so I downloaded a crack for my original game to make it run better until they patched it out. I really don't think that counts as piracy as I bought the product myself, but It may have counted towards the piracy statistics.

Upvote 0