• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Return Of the REAL Close Combat

Woohoo! CLICK MEH OR DIE Close Combat: Cross Of Iron...how the hell did i miss this one sneaking out the door? I remember reading the news about it in the other CC thread, but it appears to have popped up without any fanfare.

All the goodness of the older games (even has some of the older maps in it) but tweaked and redone in places (check out the More Info page for details, multiplayer campaign!)

Im going to try this one out later today with luck *fingers crossed* ive been waiting ages for more of the REAL close combat and not those twisted abortions that carried its name for a couple of releases :D

Visually it is great and sounds and such also.

However, it is extremely tank based and you really need to babysit every unit 24h\7. Few good examples:
My Panzer III decided to attack random unit with rear towards them.
My PaK36 decided to challenge heavy MG team the way that they began moving the cannon and in next few minutes the crew was killed. And I already ordered it ten times to stay put already.
AI seems to retreat instantly after you destroy any armoured units.
Infantry is rather useless due the fact that they seem to have Rambo disease, and challenge a heavy tank just by their rifles and such.

The list goes on very long. Even original CC3 had beter AI (if we do not count the bad tank pathfinding).

If they would fix the AI then it would be quite good game. Still haven't played it against human player, but atleast playing against AI is horrible.

Upvote 0
Initial impressions: Its CC3. With more maps, and including a lot of the additions created by the CC modding community over the last few years.

And thats not a bad thing, saves hunting them out and downloading it all seperately.

Weirdly ive noticed the complete reverse with the pathfinding/AI, on the few maps ive played it seems improved over the original CC3, especially in regards to the enemy "agressiveness". The amount of times in CC3/RealRed i would despair at a defensive map where the enemy never actually frigging attacked though it was supposed to was beyond funny - but i need to really dig into a long campaign before i say for definite...no doubt the pathfinding will still drive me nucking futs whether it is improved or not, but im almost used to it by now.

Either way, im happy so far. Even with flaws its still the best of its kind, never beaten or equalled. Playtime.

Upvote 0
I obviously have to get this, though Oldih:s impressions of AI were not very promising...

Well biggest problem is that they either do something very stupid or something you never gave an order.

Like one funny case: rifle squad decides to attack an enemy KV-2. And I gave them order to ambush\stay put\whatever it was ingame, but they still did it and got slaughtered. Five minutes later my sharpshooter did the exactly same, expect the tank crew surrendered after the sharpshooter got close.

Couldn't stop laughing for quite a time. I remember my Vickers HMG team capturing immobilized PzIVH in CC2 (after they threw a gammon bomb though), but sharpshooter capturing a fully operational KV-2... :D

Upvote 0
I had a real funny moment today with this. I had only a LMG squad, two Light infantry squads and the squad leader in fighting condition. Germans were attacking my fortified strongpoint with a HMG and SMG squad. Suddenly all my infantry except leader went berserk and had stabby stabby with the germans. Then the enemy asked for truce :D Awesome!

Upvote 0