• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics The PRTD is useful......Really.

PTRD is still killing things it shouldn't? I don't know how many times this needs to be said but as far as I know the main Russian AT weapon was known as "a Russian tank". They should've implemented the Russian AT grenade from the start as that I believe really can destroy any german tank but we can't change the past so here we are..... I don't know why so many people think realism ruins gameplay. All it does is force you to change your tactics which I guess many don't want to and are too entrenched in "must be able to destroy tanks with Satchels & PTRD" mentality. What kind of "gameplay" is destroying tanks with things that IRL could not? Oh well.

Upvote 0
i think what i am about to say might be a glitch and might piss off a small group of people (if it gets fixed, which i hope would happen) who enjoy using this glitch (im one of them but after a while it gets a bit lame...cause you can't miss)

as far as useful range's concerned, i dun think this gun has any bullet drop, i've tried it on the core-training map on the furtherest sniper targets...no fall what so ever... and here's why it's so great...

if u have an AT rifle...you're likely to have a pair of binoculars...if you zoom and aim that at your miles-away-sneaky sniper with the middle arrow in the sight, carefully unzoom, re-equip back to your AT rifle...deploy and BOOM... you've got yourself a pair of laser-firing binoculars that doesn't miss

Upvote 0
if u have an AT rifle...you're likely to have a pair of binoculars...if you zoom and aim that at your miles-away-sneaky sniper with the middle arrow in the sight, carefully unzoom, re-equip back to your AT rifle...deploy and BOOM... you've got yourself a pair of laser-firing binoculars that doesn't miss

This is a well known exploit and it's use is generally frowned upon.

Sorry for being noobish and somewhat off topic, but how do I tell a tanks weak spot without looking at those .pdfs? :)

Er, go research where the engines and ammo storage boxes were on the historic tank models? Is there some reason you don't want to use the PDFs?

Upvote 0
satchel charges make a great anti-tank weapon!
All you have to do is roll up in your clown car, toss a satchel Don't worry about getting shot, a clown car will usually survive a hit from any tank in the game. Bonus points if they're using HE; clown cars take two shots to be killed by it. If a tank crewman happens to hop out of his tank while you're throwing your satchels, never fear! Once you're out of satchels you will automatically revert to your submachinegun, so that tank crewman doesn't stand a chance!

Satchels do work

Clown cars explode the first hit - only RARELY will a cc take more than one..

If the sapper is still throwing the satchels - the crewmans pistol can do the job quite often -
getting away from the blast is another thing..

Upvote 0
On Arad, the Panzer was the only tank I could kill with PTRD, now that the new patch gave them armored plates on the sides, I see no use of PTRD at all. On Arad, nobody even thinks about the Russian AT Soldier, the Combat Engineer seems to be the people's choice, because a Satchel can easily take out any tank.

Those plates have no effect against the PTRD, so far as I can tell. Just shoot where the shovel would be, and PzIV goes boom, just like always.

Upvote 0
Hi,

i checked out the PTRD some time ago in practice mode and can tell the fallowing facts:

1. Neither Panther nor Tiger can be penetrated or killed with a PTRD from front regardless of how many shots u do.

2. The panzers without plates on sides and the Stug can be killed with 1 shot from sides or front.

3. The panzers with plates needs 2 shots from sides.

4. Panther and Tiger can be killed with 2 shots from sides.

5. All tanks can be killed with 2 shots from rear but no tank can be killed with 1 shot from rear.

All that i tried only on fresh tanks. I dont know if it is different if a tank is already hit by another tank and yellow or red.
All that works only if u shot the right spot and if u have about 90 degree to the spot. If ur angle is bad u wont do any damage.

I think the PTRD is modelled quiet well, when it accounts for all these things.

ibedi

Upvote 0
Hi,

i checked out the PTRD some time ago in practice mode and can tell the fallowing facts:

1. Neither Panther nor Tiger can be penetrated or killed with a PTRD from front regardless of how many shots u do.

2. The panzers without plates on sides and the Stug can be killed with 1 shot from sides or front.

5. All tanks can be killed with 2 shots from rear but no tank can be killed with 1 shot from rear.

All that i tried only on fresh tanks. I dont know if it is different if a tank is already hit by another tank and yellow or red.
All that works only if u shot the right spot and if u have about 90 degree to the spot. If ur angle is bad u wont do any damage.

ibedi
The only point that is valid is perhaps 2... Other then that it is nay modeled well at all :(

Upvote 0
i think all tanks after the pz4 were pretty impregnable to the PTRD, i don't even think that historically the pz4 could be killed from the front, the PTRD was best at taking out tank optics. Also the IS-2 is absolutely invulnerable to the PTRD in game, yet another Russian tank milestone incorporated into the game other than the aw3some t-34's :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
The Panther can be taken out by a PTRD, i have done it on a few occasions.
You have to find a likely spot for Panzer s to pass by without being seen .
A few shots into the hatch on the back of the turret will knock out a panther.
Or you can go for a mobility aim at the tracks on the rear of his tank as its moving away.

On Leningrad
On this map a good PTRD gunner is a key for winning the map for the allied side. He must take up a position on the opposite of the allied spawn near the river bank away from the bridge.
And take side shots at the panzer III tanks as they attempt to get onto or under the bridge. I have many one shot kills using this tactic.
o
I rarely attempt frontal shot with a ptrd on any tank, it useally results in my untimely death.
But a frontal shot on a SdKfz 251) half-track will disable it almost every time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Those plates have no effect against the PTRD, so far as I can tell. Just shoot where the shovel would be, and PzIV goes boom, just like always.

This flaw (and I do MEAN flaw) could easily be remedied by one simple change to the coding for the PTRDDamType class. All they need to do is switch the boolean bArmorStops to "True". It still baffles me why TWI doesn't make the change and issue a small patch. Heck, why does the Panzerfaust get deflected off of the Schurzen and not the PTRD for which the darn things were created for in the first place! :mad:

*Rant Mode Disengage*

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Originally Posted by ibediscore
Hi,

ibedi

All of it is correct it checked it out.

I never managed to kill an Is2 with ptrd, is it possible ?

Upvote 0
This flaw (and I do MEAN flaw) could easily be remedied by one simple change to the coding for the PTRDDamType class. All they need to do is switch the boolean bArmorStops to "True". It still baffles me why TWI doesn't make the change and issue a small patch. Heck, why does the Panzerfaust get deflected off of the Schurzen and not the PTRD for which the darn things were created for in the first place! :mad:

*Rant Mode Disengage*

I dont know why u are complaining about the shurzen, like i said the schurzen helps the panzer IV to take 2 hits from side with ptrd. Without the schurzen it can be killed with 1 hit from the side.

Also the other points I wrote still are the same.

If anyone can kill a tank from rear with just 1 shot
or kill a fresh Tiger or Panther from the front with the PTRD anyhow please tell how or make a video.

ibedi

Upvote 0