• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The proper way to manage class 'stealing'

Colt .45 killer

Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2006
Put simply, the current system is S-H-I-T.

Here's why. Its Random as all get out and its never there when you actually need it. The whole idea back in the OST days was a system that let players oust an idiotic commander. And the current system is just as useless as the lack of any system in OST. Which makes it wasted CPU cycles, so please cut it out in the next 'performance increase'.

Instead it should be replaced with one simple system. More kills = bump power.

If the commander is being a newb and not killing anyone or calling artillery, then voila, just about anyone can replace him. If a MG gunner isn't worth his weight in feces and someone wants a MG, go right ahead. Now at this point some will point out that this will make it hard on new players to learn much other than a bolt. This is both not true ( Iam often top 3 in kills, and not using some fancy do da day gay *** motherF***ker mkb ), and also irrelevant. IF you learn to master the bolt action in this game, or even use it properly for that matter, you will do much better with the Semis and SMG's and MG's, and the Marksmen rifles. Yet often its the other way around, the marksmen have among the LOWEST kills. Which is bass ackwards if you think about who SHOULD be given the chance to get a special weapon.

Note on fine details. Make it so you have to have a greater kill count for X amount of time. ( Reduces chances for a lot of swapping ). Also It could possibly hinge on Score instead of kills.

I say have a minimum level on a specific class in order to pick a class that requires more skill.

Examples :

Rifleman LVL 2/3 to be able to select Elite Rifleman
At least 2 Roles LVL 2/3 to be able to select the Squad Leader role
At least LVL 3/4 Squad Leader in order to select Commander (this one is the one that needs the closest attention, way to often low lvl'd Recruit's play as Commanders)
At least LVL 3/4 Rifleman or Elite Rifleman to be able to select Marksman

Upvote 0
I'm in two minds about this. Yes it does need abit of improvement but no i don't think it should be purely down to kills. Its for performance, not just kills. Hell, i might have a bad match and get piss poor kills wise, yet still preform well by getting in the caps, working with the team etc and earning my share in team points.

People go on about this game isn't purely about k:d ratio. Well in that case what your suggesting does sound alittle counter intuitive imo. Exept, perhaps, the marksman. I would agree a decent kill rate is more impotant.

*edit* Just noticed you bit about scores at the bottom. Still, i believe the whole picture needs to be considered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Colt_45. Killer

: If you never give the chance to the players to try new roles, theyl never get good at it...

A newb player who will try the commander position will get yell at. Instead of getting help from people who knows what he should do.

Now imaging if people would kick him out all the time he his trying for commander. The guy will never get good at it.

Also a MP-40 can be just as good as a Bolt action rifle. You seem in disgust with those "fancy dodagay gun" like you call em. Remember that each gun has his role. You cannot suppress enemy with a bolt action rifle as much as you can suppress them with a mp-40.

The marksman job is not to have the most kill. But to defend, and support from far. ( Ex : Kills MG Gunner, Officers... etc )

Upvote 0
The role of the marksman is precision elimination of high-value targets, followed by fire support. Generally, you look around for any machine-gunners giving your team trouble, and then play like a rifleman.

I think the current system is fine. Original post seems the result of a bad experience rather than a carefully thought out suggestion.

Reactions: Major Liability
Upvote 0
Colt_45. Killer

: If you never give the chance to the players to try new roles, theyl never get good at it...

A newb player who will try the commander position will get yell at. Instead of getting help from people who knows what he should do.

Now imaging if people would kick him out all the time he his trying for commander. The guy will never get good at it.

Also a MP-40 can be just as good as a Bolt action rifle. You seem in disgust with those "fancy dodagay gun" like you call em. Remember that each gun has his role. You cannot suppress enemy with a bolt action rifle as much as you can suppress them with a mp-40.

The marksman job is not to have the most kill. But to defend, and support from far. ( Ex : Kills MG Gunner, Officers... etc )

A: I called the MKB the POS gun and thats for historical reasons.

B: I've said myself its possible and quite common for riflemen to have a very high kill count.

C: No new player should ever play as commander till they have played long enough to know what to do with commander. Instead it is often taken as one more joe with an automatic weapon.

@ Niko

I used the sniper rifle merely as an example, this suggestion is meant mostly towards the main 'killing' classes. IE Riflemen / Assault / Semi Riflemen and MG. To some extent also the commander because of artillery.

Like it or not, if player X is twice as good as player Y, then player X should be able to pick if they want Y's smg.

Now just for clarification here, I ususally score in the top 5, and have a fast enough computer that I could have sniper rifle every round if I wanted it, yet I've used the marksmens rifle once ( on ogledow ).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
C: No new player should ever play as commander till they have played long enough to know what to do with commander. Instead it is often taken as one more joe with an automatic weapon.

this! there's plenty of servers with bots to practice as commander on anyway. that's what i did. same with squad leader.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's simply because the Marksman and Machine-gun classes are inferior to the Rifleman class. Rifleman can score more kills easily, every time.

True. I think that the reason is that rifleman is among the most mobile classes in the game. Not jus that is carries less than MG or engineer but to play it efficiently lots of tactical maneuvers are needed.

Upvote 0
That's simply because the Marksman and Machine-gun classes are inferior to the Rifleman class. Rifleman can score more kills easily, every time.

For now. Wait until there are many new maps with much larger distances as in RO1. Think Berezina. Then the MG and Marksman position will be useful. The current maps are too small for them to make much of the inherent advantages of the role.

Upvote 0