• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Popsmoke Mod team has released an In Country: Vietnam - Gameplay Teaser

I read that mosin nagants, and springfields were still used in vietnam.

The scoped derivatives of the mosin and springfield were probably in use among snipers, but I highly doubt riflemen in front-line units would be so ill equipped. I am not sure about the NVA and VC, but there is no way a riflemen in a front-line US Army or USMC unit would ever be equipped with a Springfield that has been obsolete for more than 2 decades. Besides, the .30-06 ammuniton that the Springfield uses probably wasn't even manufactured in large quantities anymore, as the US had moved on to the 5.56mm NATO and 7.62mm NATO rounds.

Upvote 0
The scoped derivatives of the mosin and springfield were probably in use among snipers, but I highly doubt riflemen in front-line units would be so ill equipped. I am not sure about the NVA and VC, but there is no way a riflemen in a front-line US Army or USMC unit would ever be equipped with a Springfield that has been obsolete for more than 2 decades. Besides, the .30-06 ammuniton that the Springfield uses probably wasn't even manufactured in large quantities anymore, as the US had moved on to the 5.56mm NATO and 7.62mm NATO rounds.

Ah well. That crossed the line then. If there are going to be no rifleman bolts (since I know almost nothing of vietnam), then I most likely wont buy it. Thanks for the heads up though.

Upvote 0
'at this time'

+1 to Tripwire for releasing modders' content as their own... seriously, what the hell are you guys even doing? There's a half-track (developed by modders) and a universal carrier along with some new vehicle code which John added - apparently in his spare time. What on earth are you guys doing on the RO2 development side? There's been no new substantive content for this game from TWI for a long time now. It's been community maps, community vehicles... community weapons?

This is a genuine question: what are the Tripwire staff actually working on? Is it a secret? Is it KF2?

Upvote 0
Our last content update was September (not that long ago) and we are working towards our next update now which will include new content as well. I'll be talking more about it as things firm up for the update (already discussed the transports which have moved to full in house development).

For more on our development structure you can read theses two posts: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=1280348&postcount=128
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=1280354&postcount=129

Upvote 0
Ah well. That crossed the line then. If there are going to be no rifleman bolts (since I know almost nothing of vietnam), then I most likely wont buy it. Thanks for the heads up though.

They should have M14 carbines, that will be fun.

Hopefully it becomes more about laying down large amounts of lead for the US.

Id like to see things like, USA have heaps more ammo, more powerful more accurate, but the Vietcong and charlie go prone quicker, kneel quicker, run a little faster, a little more stamina etc.. but less ammo, not as accurate etc..

It would be interesting how that would pan out in balancing.

Maybe under vietnamese you have a Charlie class, where they have less, but are alot more mobile than NVA troops.

Upvote 0
A Charlie class? That's a joke, right?

Nope, So much like a sniper class, you have maybe a special forces class on the US side and a Vietcong on the NVA side. Each with there own skill set.

Special forces class: maybe have better camo, are quiet, site arty strikes, and have mobile radio. Drawbacks, slower than the average GI.

Vietcong class, quicker, more stamina, prone and kneel faster and carry demo charges.
Drawbacks more gun recoil.

Maybe 2 each side.

Upvote 0
Nope, So much like a sniper class, you have maybe a special forces class on the US side and a Vietcong on the NVA side. Each with there own skill set.

Special forces class: maybe have better camo, are quiet, site arty strikes, and have mobile radio. Drawbacks, slower than the average GI.

Vietcong class, quicker, more stamina, prone and kneel faster and carry demo charges.
Drawbacks more gun recoil.

Maybe 2 each side.

I'd wager that the VC and NVA will be two different factions, and you will see either one or the other based on the map. Maybe the different factions for the forces of democracy will be the US Army, USMC, and ARVN?

Upvote 0
Looks like there are three other factions blanked out at the moment. ARVN, Viet Cong and USMC?

Maybe some early war maps with M1 Garands and M1 Carbines with 30 round mags and some M-14s?

Really liking the 3D renders on the website as well. I just hope there is a stream lined focus on one gameplay mode (something between realism and Classic) with maps built around Territory.

Upvote 0