• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Image] The Picture and GIF thread

Nimsky, I truly wish this thing would go away, but there's still something going on here that is unexplained. Let me repost those images

0567524700copyav0.jpg
0567524uiui700copynr9.jpg

I can clearly see how in just these shots it's possible to get lost in them and mistake front for back as shown this post by straybullet. However, in the post after that one Multiple Wounds points out that the shape of the planted foot is a give away showing the correctly alignment. For if we're seeing the front of the model then the planted foot is rotated 90 degrees to where it should be. Since the position of the ankle doesn't change that means that there is one image of the model on the left leg (going clock-wise) and another on the right leg (going counter clock-wise).

Believe me, I really would like this to be solved and go away, but until I can find a reasonable explaination for why that model is on one leg one minute, then randomly on the right leg the next, I refuse to believe that perception has anything to do with this. As for the evidence you've found, I can come only come up with the idea that while the image doesn't change, perhaps it's merely loaded and at some point the image is seemlessly switch with one going to opposite direction. However, this theory sounds far to excessive for something that should be so simple.

Further, I've had this opened in another browser window on my 2nd desktop for the past several minutes and it's been moving in the same direction the entire time. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that this means that the image we're seeing now is different then the one that was originally posted last week, but again, that sounds like too much effort.

Upvote 0
Nimsky, I truly wish this thing would go away, but there's still something going on here that is unexplained. Let me repost those images

0567524700copyav0.jpg
0567524uiui700copynr9.jpg

I can clearly see how in just these shots it's possible to get lost in them and mistake front for back as shown this post by straybullet. However, in the post after that one Multiple Wounds points out that the shape of the planted foot is a give away showing the correctly alignment. For if we're seeing the front of the model then the planted foot is rotated 90 degrees to where it should be. Since the position of the ankle doesn't change that means that there is one image of the model on the left leg (going clock-wise) and another on the right leg (going counter clock-wise).

Believe me, I really would like this to be solved and go away, but until I can find a reasonable explaination for why that model is on one leg one minute, then randomly on the right leg the next, I refuse to believe that perception has anything to do with this. As for the evidence you've found, I can come only come up with the idea that while the image doesn't change, perhaps it's merely loaded and at some point the image is seemlessly switch with one going to opposite direction. However, this theory sounds far to excessive for something that should be so simple.

Further, I've had this opened in another browser window on my 2nd desktop for the past several minutes and it's been moving in the same direction the entire time. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that this means that the image we're seeing now is different then the one that was originally posted last week, but again, that sounds like too much effort.

You just proved yourself wrong.

It's a cool optical illusion, let it go. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Wow, this is pointless... Have you never been exposed to that kind of optical illusion?

Here is a scetchy mspaint image to end this stupid discussion... Yes, the foot is correct too...

This is one of the two images from the quote above. I "completed" them with mspaint so you can see the outline of the dancer. Including the frikkin foot. Zoom in to see the toes if you have to. Nothing was altered. Only the outline and the face was added.
canbebothga9.png

You can thank me later.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I was curious about how it worked optically so I made this;
http://stianlund.net/test/spinner.html
Full screen for best effect.

The bottom two gifs are actually reversed in direction. Its much easier to change direction looking at this, and it seems sometimes they flip between the two directions the time, sometimes going the same direction but out of sync. Weird sh*t indeed. And yea, no 'random' trickery or anything, look at the source if you must.

Sorry for continuing this, the posting of silly animated gifs can continue...
beta055.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Her feet are broken.
No their are not! Download the pic and zoom in if you have to. Look at the toes. On the left, the lower foot is pointed downwards and in the direction of the arrow. In the right version, the lower foot is pointed upwards and in the direction of the arrow. No need to break something.

Upvote 0